Help with coiling/coils please?

I recently starting building my own coils on the griffin 25rta with kanthal a1 24g, just like to know what difference does it make in diameter when it comes to coiling? And what’s the best ohms to vape at? My first build was 9 wraps 3mm at .42 ohm. Dual coil. And recent one is 10wraps on 2.5mm at. 4ohms. Dual. Vaping between 45 and 50 watts

3 Likes

As we all know, vaping is subjective, and that is why we love it! We can taylor our vape experience to meet our needs for the best possible outcome for each individual! That being said, there is no “best ohm” to vape at. If you like it at .40 then, then by all means that is where you should vape it! I cannot really help you much on the vape experience of kanthal, because I use titanium wire. When I started building my own coils, I jumped right in and started at .25 ohms because that was what I was using on a premade coil prior to building my own. Personally, I now usually vape around a .10 ohm dual build, no matter what kind of coil (Clapton, Fused Clapton, Zipper, Twisted, or Plain) I try to keep it around the same ohm. Always a dual build. It may vary a little from .08 to .12 but right in the range I want it at. Then I vape that in TC mode at 100w to 125w and anywhere between 420 and 550 degrees on a TCR preset of 350 or 375 depending on what tank i use. You just have to play around with different types of wire and settings until you find what YOU like! However, you can eliminate many errors simply by using the wealth of knowledge that ELR provides on the subject! That is why I jumped right in with Titanium. Also, you can go to http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp and use it to help you build your coils. Sorry I couldn’t be more help, but I am sure many more of the experienced builders on this forum will jump in with what works for them! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

@SunnyT nailed it . I too like 22 guage Titanium 5.5 wrap dual coils in almost everything at .006 .Only you will know what you like best , as you start to progress on your coil building start venturing out and maybe try some 316L Stainless Steel or Grade 1 Titanium next as lots of people love it and it is easy to work with.
I think you will find the majority of people with Temp Control devices using either 316L SS or Grade 1 Titanium.

3 Likes

I enjoy anywhere from 0.15 - 0.4Ohm dual coil builds typically. Love my stainless steel coils :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I think you just gotta try different ones and see which one you like. I used to build some crazy coils but now I just do 24g kanthal. The different diameters will affect the resistance and the amount of cotton you can use . Right now I’m using 24g kanthal 7 wraps with a 2.4 diameter , It’s @ 0.56 vaping @40 watts . Thats about as basic as you can get but it works perfect. I like anywhere from 0.12 to 0.6 . Do you want clouds or flavor? I prefer flavor. When I started I had the same questions . So I just tried different ones till I found some that I liked. It was fun to me . Once you feel comfortable making coils then move on to Claptons. The great thing with vaping are all the options we have. Good luck

1 Like

Take a look at this link

Lots of good info in there

4 Likes

In addition to what’s been covered, I feel the best way to sum it all up for and as Someone just getting into coil building is this:

Think more in terms of building to the deck size first and foremost. Both in terms of wicking and coil size.

Then once you have learned what a specific deck wants/requires, then you get to tweak from there.

Smaller decks may demand a 2mm or 2.5mm ID and no larger, or you risk shorting to the chimney stack/outer casing.

Mediums may allow 2.5mm to 3mm ID (same reasons as above) but open up more options for fancy wraps…

Mainly though, it all ties in together with your particular liquid’s ratio, and how it interacts with a given deck. In addition to the way you vape (MTL, DL, and chain vaping to further complicate things).

Impedance only plays a part in so much as the mod. The lower the ohms, the higher the wattage it takes to push that load. So if you only have a 40w mod, then you’re automatically limited to certain choices when it comes to deck sizes, or you won’t get the most out of them. (This is why most starter pens have coils in the .8 to 1.6 ohm range, so they can stay safely within their rated wattage output).

Try to look at it as an experiment though. In essence, that’s what it is! The journey to find your niche in the “world of vape”. Not picking up a DVD player at the local “grab and go” outlet. :wink:

2 Likes

I have to admit, I have become lazy with my building, at first it feels like a science that you need to master, so proud of my first success’s, now it’s whatever I have to hand that works/fits, if it doesn’t, scrap it and make another, trial and error, and more often than not I end up buying ‘specials’ …I leave that to the experts lol.

1 Like

Same for me. I must say it’s more for experienced vapers because it’s below some mods threshold. Don’t try this with a Mech Mod or VV/VW mods.It’s safest with a TC Mod that has a Ti/TC function. I’ve tried tons of wire types and builds and nothing compare to Ti when it’s done right IMO.

@BoyHowdy mistyped the ohmage for this build. It usually come out between .05-.08 ohms.

4 Likes

Just wanted to take a minute to tell you that you are the reason I started out with Titanium and I have never had the need to use anything else. I love my low ohm builds…plenty of flavor and clouds! So thank you @Pro_Vapes for all of the information you have posted on Titanium wire and builds!

4 Likes

Thanks @SunnyT@daath is also a Ti pioneer on ELR Forum. He has supplied a lot of very good support and info.

2 Likes

That is correct , thanks for catching that!
Anyone interested in Titanium should search for @Pro_Vapes Deep Water build!

2 Likes

That’s right, I did gain a lot of information from him also. All of those titanium threads really helped me to decide that titanium was right for me and the way I wanted to go when I was still new to coil building! I am still fairly new, but I can now build successful claptons, fused claptons, zipper, and twisted coils, all thanks to the information that I got from this forum and the ELR family pointing me in the right direction as to where to look when learning to build!

2 Likes

I second this! This was probably the thread that made me ultimately choose titanium as my wire of choice and made me think “I GOTTA HAVE THIS VAPE EXPERIENCE!!!”

Although I tend to use 24 gauge instead of 22 gauge, mainly because ran out of 22 gauge, and I have tons of 24!

2 Likes

I started out using 28 and 26 ga Titanium before I started mixing and found ELR. Titanium is what got me off of paying rent on tanks by no longer having to buy factory coils for my Atlantis tanks.
I started mixing and that is when I found this place and people talking about the Deep Water build.
I know taste is very subjective and every vapor has to find their “style”. Everyone has to figure out what works best for them, but I could not believe the difference in flavor when I switched from 26 gage to 22 gage Titanium.

When you get the chance try out the 22 gage Ti. I think you will be surprised on the difference in flavor by simply going with the slightly larger wire,I know I was!

4 Likes

I actually have tried the 22 and it is definitely amazeballs!! I just have so much 24 gauge that I need to use before I purchase anymore wire and I don’t mind the 24, it tastes pretty amazing too! I just love titanium period! I am actually sitting here making some clapton wire right now…it is 28/32 for my goblin mini and my billow v2 nano!

2 Likes

Ti on Ti Claptons? where’d you get 32ga?

yeah, I do it all the time! They are awesome! I was leary of getting Ti from here, but I got it anyway and it has turned out to be fine wire! I also got 30 and 28 in the same brand and then I got 26 gauge by UD and 24 by Fousecig and they have all turned out to be pretty good wire,

3 Likes

Many thanks …will check out. …32 on 28? 32 on 24 no good? My 24ga is super soft, but I get that it would make a Clapton so big you couldn’t fit? Soo if I’m buying get 22ga 28ga and 32ga? (I also have bunches of 24)

3 Likes

yes, the 32/24 is too big…and I actually had a problem with the 30 gauge snapping every time I try to wrap with it, but the 32 gauge has been flawless.