Herrlan flavorings

Link me up! :smiley:

1 Like

(This is going to be a bit of a ramble because attempting to write succinctly today just ainā€™t right. Apologies.)

I first heard the name in a thread on an amazing group of 3,500 mixers mostly from the UK on Facebook (which I hate) called Vaping Home Brewers, when various people were discussing the comparative strengths of different brands and a Brit living in Germany mentioned Herrlanā€™s were really strong but not available in the UK.

So I checked the - recently enlarged but permanently ā€˜brokenā€™ - German flavourings spreadsheet and sure enough there are many in the range 0.5-3% which really got me interested but there were also quite a few showing as 3-6% which somehow didnā€™t make sense.

Anyway from there I dug around and found this 2013 thread on UKV which contained this startling paragraph:

1. Now weĀ“re getting real tricky, because throughout the entire web there is not one single good recipe for Herrlan flavors.

Problem is, almost all other flavorings of other brands are mixed
somewhere between 3% and 5%, but Herrlan recommends (written on the
bottles) to mix 0.1% - 0.2% (tobacco flavors 0.01% - 0.1%).

The difference is so gigantic, if true it would mean Herrlan flavorings
give on average over 20 times more liquid than other brands or in other
words, cost 1/20th the price, that sounds so unreal, nobody actually
tries it.

But the catch is that there are two versions of all the Herrlan flavourings, one concentrated available to the public and the other super-concentrated which is only available to the ā€˜tradeā€™.

The UKV poster gave links to a couple of German websites but most of the ones I tried wouldnā€™t ship outside of Germany/Austria/Italy (maybe sales territories or something?).
So far Iā€™ve found two that will ship to the rest of the EU:
Besser Dampfen
Mister Steam
(and the second offers cheaper prices and I think the shipping was half the cost but my German is terrible.)

There are a couple of other threads where Herrlan have been mentioned on UKV that Iā€™ve not yet scanned. And Iā€™ve not yet even looked on POTV or ECF. Maybe there are distributors in the UK and Denmark already?

At ā‚¬3 / 5ml (and ā‚¬5 / 5ml for tobacco flavours), the concentrates arenā€™t cheap but itā€™s nothing like the high entry cost of MF. And you can be your broken dollar that they wonā€™t be flogging 12ml in a ā€œ15mlā€ bottle!

Iā€™d love to stick in a small order with one of the two companies to check

1. which ā€˜versionā€™ of the concentrate they are selling, and
  2. what the quality of the flavouring itself is like
    but Iā€™ve spent over Ā£140 on concentrates this month (plus Ā£35 on nic and Ā£25 on a mod) so itā€™ll have to wait until January.

If you - or anyone else picking up on this - get there first and gather any interesting information about Herrlan and itā€™s retailers, please post your discoveries somewhere here on ELR?

Apologies again for the mind dump!

4 Likes

That is interesting. I will definitely have to look into that!

2 Likes

Hey guys
Anyone ordered these concentrates and what are the opinions?

I thought Iā€™d convinced a UK retailer to get some samples with a view to stocking some of the range but three months later found nothing had actually happened.

And in the meantime, Flavorah had started to ship their first batchā€¦

Iā€™ve heard nothing of Herrlan since then but itā€™s possible theyā€™re now rebranded and sold by European retailers.

1 Like

Thanks for the info @BathVaper

1 Like