Hidden science behind normal and accelerated e-Liquid steeping

i will keep you posted i have just made a mother’s milk and boss reserve clones once they are steeped i will update and let you know,

On ,y rda i swap between the clapton coil and the fused when tasting, i prefer using the clapton due to the taste but hate having to change cotton every time i taste a new flavour.

the uwell tank is bar far my best tank the coil last so long, 3 times as long as a 0.5 kangertech coil. I

1 Like

So here’s what I’m going to take away from this since I already bought my vortex mixer. Mix it 15 seconds. Then put it in hot water for 20 minutes let it sit in cupboard overnight. Sound about right? (guess my ultrasonic can be used for cleaning stuff LOL)

2 Likes

Will be very interested to see what you think of the vortex, michelleTOC. I’m looking at getting one myself.

2 Likes

This is one of the best threads I’ve ever read. Some great information and let me say…ELR has some really bright minds here.:+1:

2 Likes

Hi and Merry Christmas to all.

I am a noob on either vaping (2 months now) and mixing my own liquids (1 month now) and try to read as much as I can in order to acquire different views and experiences.
I know this thread and this specific post is months old, but could not resisted to ask how is it possible to use uv lighting for steeping without affecting the nicotine content of the juices. From what I have read to now, I have got the idea that UV causes its decomposition and based on that, does it mean that you could only use UV steeping for non nicotine juices, or is it that I got it all wrong from the beginning? I currently use magnetic stirring and not interesting on UV, however my question is on the ‘learning’ process.
Thank you all for this amazing forum where so much precious information is shared to everyone!

1 Like

You could experiment with the UV light with your mix without Nicotine…then add the Nicotine using the UV light…

It mixes better than I could by shaking Kimber. On that end I’ve very happy with it… not to mention it’s fun watching the cyclone in my bottles LOL

1 Like

I keep looking at the two of three we have here at work, I wonder if I could sneak one out in my bag??? Nahhhh, probly not :disappointed_relieved:

I’ll keep watching eBay, and I’ll have one someday!! Thanks for the update!!

2 Likes

Make a “Bring-your-liquids-to-work-day” and vortex it :wink:

3 Likes

Ohhh I’ve thought of that! I work 3-11 and I’m the boss. There’s only two of us in the department and my coworker wants to start vaping so she won’t care if I bring stuff to vortex. I’m doin it!! Next week when I go back to work😄

3 Likes

Can I use a nutra-bullet to mix decent sized batches?

I discovered that by using my vortex mixer for 15 seconds then using my ultrasonic for an hour and a half I have fully steeped juice. What that does to the nic level… no clue but personally I don’t care because I want the flavor LOL

3 Likes

Very interesting information. Can you clarify quoted moment?
Are you put it in us-bath with open/closed cap on bottle? Or just open it when rest? No shakes between cycles of us-bath?

I don’t see why not.

Do you need to go through the steeping process if you have all organic juice and there is no alcohol involved?

It depends on the flavors used. Medicine Flower flavoring needs two to three weeks to steep I think. I have a batch steeping right now that is a couple weeks in and it’s just starting to show it’s true flavors.

2 Likes

Thank you for this thread and everyone involved. Thought i would chime in here as i have experience with the above method of pre steeping flavors and adding flavors afterwards. I believe once an e liquid has steeped a reasonable duration( 4 weeks or longer) all molecules have bonded to the carrier allowing no carrier left for newly introduced flavors to bond with. Think of an additive solution (citric acid dissolved in pg) one makes, only a certain amount of additive will “take” to a given volume of carrier (pg) too much and crystalization may reappear. I realize that this deals with a solute (citric acid) reaching maximum saturation in the solvent(pg) and it then becomes immiscable but when dealing with magical flavor particles and VG my theory is that adding more flavor requires increasing the " solubility" of the mix by adding more pg/vg. I therefore steep the “base” at double my desired nic content say 6mg. I then cut the 6mg satured steeped base in half pouring 15ml base and adding say 13ml vg and an additional 2ml of fruit flavor(s) to the mix for a total of 30ml. This is to avoid the dreaded “muting” phenomena which i theorize is a result of too much flavor creating a super saturation of the solution. This would explain why to much flavor can be good right away but not in the long run. Another beneficial result of this method is a slowed " milliard" of the base mix. Ive even had base mixes change colour and become lighter after adding new flavors going from amber to yellow and then even steeping into a clear to light pink. Magic?! More research is required so please record your experiments and share and we can all be like heizenburg :smiley: I would love to see more on how flavors play off each other as HIC has shown on his mamaj’s link.

I do this with most of my recipes. with my custards i add any fruit i might want with it after it has steeped 4 to 5 weeks. It really makes the fruit taste “fresh” if you will. I do the same when I cook, with a few exceptions of course. For instance shepherds pie is so much tastier if you cook every thing seperately then put it all together at the end.
UncleJoe; thanks for introducing this topic, love it.

1 Like

Would oxygen degrade nicotine or is it just sunlight?
I am by no means a mixologist or a chemist, so that’s why I’m asking. What have you learned?
If I’m going to use oxygen bubbles to steep my personal ejuice mixes, it would probably be better to add the nicotine afterwards. But, if I do, would I then need to re-steep it another way as to not degrade the nicotine? Who knows. I wonder if just bubbling plain air rather than o2 would be doing the same amount of steeping.
All I know is if I bubble the o2 into a single flavor (all I’ve done thus far), it seems to steep it nicely for me. I bubbled o2 in at 2 liters for 30 minutes.
If anyone can provide any info that knows if or why the o2 would be beneficial for steeping, please let me know.

Both actually. Not sure which is worse though. Oxygen reacts with nicotine - We say it oxidizes (here is info on storing nicotine). It’s best stored in a cool dark place (you can store it in a freezer). Flavors also in a cool dark place. PG and VG on the other hand is good stored at room temp, but no direct sunlight.

2 Likes