How often do you rewick you RTA/RDTA/RDA?

500"(-5’) of 1/2" rope,Cellucotton/Rayon.
Severely discolored, perceive a diminishing of flavor, always toss and re wick.
If I have a clean previous soaking wick, may test taste and re drip if warranted.
If I’m not tasting the juice to it’s expected excellence, re wick.
First vape every morning no matter what shape the wicks in, new wick that will guarantee out of my mind great taste.
I find a huge difference in a soaked wick and a clean newly installed, more so first morning vape.
I’m as lazy as the next vaper, so a 1 minute RDA single coil wick change has got to be worth the effort

3 Likes

Dry burning and rinsing just never gave me the same quality of flavor that I get from a completely fresh build, so when the gunk starts to show, I just tear it all out, rinse the atomizer and dry it off, then I sit down to rebuild. I’ve also read that repeated glowing/overheating of the coils could cause premature metal fatigue, so it’s another reason that I replace crusty coils with fresh.

4 Likes

I’m in the same boat as @Cutlass92 and change wicks probably once a month. I don’t really time it, but change if I start getting an off or burnt taste going on. As a side note, I have been using an 80/20 vg/pg non flavored juice pretty often (every 4 or 5 fills) and that probably helps to keep things clean in my wicks and coils.

4 Likes

I rewick once or twice a week, depending on whether or not they taste like the need a change. But always at least once a week regardless on whether they need it or not.

Most of the time I also throw in some new coils, not so much because I have any problem with cleaning the coils, but mostly because I’m in a bit of an experimenting fase, trying to find the perfect setup for each atty. Also making some new coils is (almost) just as fast as cleaning them, and I actually like to fiddle with it.

3 Likes

Sunday is build day so everything I think I’ll use the following week gets stripped cleaned an rebuilt sometimes I’ll just dry burn the coils most of the time I’ll just bang in new builds I fancy trying and I rewick the day to day fireluke every2 days it’s the work tank and drippers at home prob every 3 days depending on what I’m vaping. at the moment it’s a lot of fruit and I find they’re not to hard on the cotton as I don’t add sweetners but when i get anything caramel out it can end up being a daily wick I lurveee my caramel an chain vape an the cotton gets nasty

4 Likes

Here this might help.

4 Likes

Yes I started using it probably 2-3 months ago, I love it and the fact I get no off taste from the start, with cotton there was always a break in period no mater the cotton, and I’ve tried a fair few. Same reason I switched to ss, no break in flavor. I still don’t understand the hype with Clapton’s tho! I get better flavor out of my chain link wire.

2 Likes

So… I would use more than cotton?

1 Like

Correct mate as you put it through the coils you want to try to get a little squeak -thin out your tails and away you go.

3 Likes

Got it… I’m going to re-wick right now I and will use your method
Thanks Woftam!
Steve

3 Likes

For me it’s not the wicking that’s an issue but the coils gunking up. I have to clean them, on average, every 15mls/coil. This of course requires me to rewick. I get about a years worth of Koh Gen Doh from Fastech for about $12. So, rewick 3 atty’s twice a week and recoil about every 2.

2 Likes

Iv gone back to strait twisted wire and loving it! I need to try the chain link wire… do you make it yourself?

1 Like

Yes, I twist up about 4-6 feet clockwise then cut it in half then twist it counterclockwise until it looks like this.

Just make sure the wire stays the same direction.

6 Likes

@Kenbu

It totally depends on the juice you’re vaping. Clearer, more of the fruit type vapes (depending on the sweetener) you can go a bit longer, but heavier, sweeter, and/or darker juices you will notice after even a day or two it’s time to change the cotton.

As far as cotton, wow, I’ve probably tried them all. Had been using Koh Gen Do for quite a while, until it just STOPPED wicking for me. Love cotton bacon, but somehow got hooked on …

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NX47E2W

3 Likes

What gauge wire are you using? I wanna say 28…It looks great, what ever gauge!

2 Likes

Yes 28 gauge.

2 Likes

Here is a better close up of my chain link @Jayrell @paingawd

This kicks the snot out of Clapton’s!

8 Likes

Dammit! I KNEW I shoulda ordered some 28 gauge SS wire when I placed my last order with LV! Oh, well…Black Friday’s a comin’!

3 Likes

All this talk of rewicking and Such made me do mine a little early, 3 weeks instead of 4 :rofl: so here’s a pick of them after a balance burn.

Not perfect I know but not to bad for me!

4 Likes

I’m sure you could use some 30 or 26.

3 Likes