I am new to rebuilding and want to know what wire is best to use

Okay so…not sure what I am even trying to ask…I just started rebuilding my isub g coils with 26g kanthal but I am having a problem. The coils are only lasting a day and then they make my throat hurt really bad. I’m not sure what the problem is. Could it be the cotton I am using or maybe the kanthal wire? I am using Master of Clouds 100% organic Japanese cotton. I am also expecting the TFV4 in the mail as we speak and I need to know what to use to build a coil for the single deck it comes with :grin:

Should I maybe try using a different type of wire like nickel or titanium? I just want to build basic coils for now…

If you have a TC mod, you’ll probably want to use titanium. I prefer stainless steel for non-TC (my) purposes. It gives great flavor and no metallic taste. I’d stay away from nickel if kanthal makes your throat hurt. Also, if you aren’t already, you might consider going max VG. PG can cause those issues, too.

3 Likes

I don’t have a TC mod and I already use max vg so I really don’t understand what the problem is…do I have to have a TC mod to use nickel or titanium?

I’m not 100% sure with titanium. I’ve used it on non-TC, but it seems to jump around a lot in resistance readings. It’s possible I didn’t do the coil right though. I haven’t worked with it a whole lot. I know nickel is supposed to be TC only because the resistance changes drastically as it heats up. I think technically you could use it without TC, but you’d run the risk of it getting too hot.

I’m sure some of the more experienced wire people like @Pro_Vapes or @Jondamon will chime in here eventually. :wink: In the mean time, here are some links to threads that might be useful.

2 Likes

The short answer is yes, especially with Nickel-

but I’m sure PV will chime in any minute now…

2 Likes

I’m not PV but when he chimes in he will sure mention that the info in this article is not entirely correct. You should space your TI coils like nickel coils because contact coils will get hotspots and TI can easily burst into flames. If I’m incorrect I’m sure I will be corrected shortly :grinning:

2 Likes

It wont technically “burst into flames”. If a hotspot does occur (contact coils are more susceptible to this) that particular spot will get so hot it will get very bright and melt the wire causing a short. In turn breaking the wire becoming useless.

4 Likes

It will probably help if you tell us a bit more information.

What Mod are you using and wattage you are vaping at?
What’s the ohms reading on your coil?
Is the ohm reading steady?
Juice Blend? (70/30, 80/20, etc)
Nicotine Strength?
Flavor you are trying to vape?

1 Like

I stand corrected already :grinning: I know for that to happen you need temperatures that you don’t get vaping, I just knew the hotspots were causing problems and I think it was @Pro_Vapes who said that it was not a very nice vaping experience when you get a hotspot and he was spacing his coils ever since.

1 Like

I have seen people state that either a spaced or tight Ti coil is OK, HOWEVER, I personally think it should be spaced now. I do not think the tight coils are working correctly under TC mode in my Crown. May or may not be relavent here but lately I have been leaning toward SS wire for drippers (NON RTA) and am thinking may be better than Ti in straight wattage mode (Non TC). Thanks to @quitter1 I am beginning to experiment with it a bit…

3 Likes

Do you space the SS coils?

2 Likes

I recoiled my Magma that I use for taste testing last night with SS wire. I did use spacing and it appears to be working nicely. Don’t know if non spaced is OK or not. Perhaps @Pro_Vapes might know for sure. Will be doing some real testing either today or tomorrow since I got 6 bottles needing taste testing. Should work fine but if there is any problems I’ll let you guys know…

3 Likes

Contact coils work for me, but if I’ll use SS for temp control I will build it spaced.

5 Likes

Neither do I, so I’ve spaced my SS coils too just to make sure but I would like to know if it is really necessary.

Thanks @daath, that’s helpful.

3 Likes

Perhaps we should assume both Ti and SS spaced and non spaced are OK, but, under the correct circumstances. TC mode, space it, Wattage mode do not use spacing. Easy as Pie Ejuice !!!

3 Likes

I only use SS in my drippers. Contact coils just like my kanthal builds. Power mode all the way.

5 Likes

After some serious trial and error - and listening to everything said on here - I have come to my own conclusions about non-kanthal type builds and will share my thoughts.

1. Nickel is awful. The taste is nasty, it’s hard to work with, and the only redeeming qualities seem to be it’s low resistence and stability.
  2. TItanium is wonderful for flavor. Once you break in your wicking material it’s all flavor at that point. If you build it right. After several failed builds I conclude (for temp control anyway) that Titanium and Nickel both should be built with spaced coils. I suggest using a machine screw to wind the coil. The uniform spacing may or may not lend itself to more even heating, but it certainly does prevent the hot spot issues you get from closed coils.

1. Dangers of Ni and Ti wire. I have had that flash of Titanium occur while vaping. It’s horrible. Aside from it tasting like shit and making your mouth tast that way for hours, it burns hotter than Hades. If you build closed coils and vape on TC I can assure you that you will learn this firsthand. Took me several times to nail down the problem. Perhaps Ti in non-TC mods is not that way. TC adjusts power based on fluctuation in resistence which happens in certain metals. Ti most definitely gives off some nasty stuff when it reaches the red-hot stages. Nickel is untested so there are mere assumptions to it’s safety in vaping. I came to my own conclusion to avoid it due to my success with Ti wire and finding no need to use Ni.

So, my answer about what you should use is this. I think you should avoid Ni and Ti until you get into TC mods. I’ve not used stainless but from what I do know of it, it’s much safer and so perhaps that is your answer. As for what’s causing your throat to hurt…I would look first at your juice. If you’re subohm building I personally wouldn’t recommend anything stronger than 3mg liquid.

5 Likes

You have a few choices available to you got choices of wire.

The basic
Kanthal A1
The generic wire choice for most rebuilding.

The Mid range
Nichrome 80
Nichrome 60
Lower resistance than Kanthal for same gauge, softer wire, slightly increased flavour.

The top range
Stainless Steel 316L/317L
I’m just getting back into SS wire and flavour is really good. Spaced coils are the way to go with SS for better flavour but make sure you clean your wire prior to use with some form of alcohol.

Nickel - I know very little about but I do know it SHOULD NOT be used in standard setups without TC

Titanium - is another somewhat unknown to me. I know it can be used in non TC applications but ohms can jump around.

I guess the question is whether or not you get the same sensation with stock coils for certain setups etc.

CMJ

3 Likes

This takes me back to the old days of getting your kanthal mesh build just right on your Genesis (void of hot spots) or risk sucking in the most heinous hot firey blast of air you can imaging…yowza! :confounded:

Ahh, times…not good times…just, times. :smirk:

5 Likes