I QUIT Smoking by VAPING. The DATE, My STORY

Hi and welcome! :wave: Enjoy the winter indoors!

4 Likes

Thatā€™s great @Whooptidooh! Youā€™re almost to your year-mark. Iā€™m very happy for you. I hope you reach out to all here should you get stuck with your DIY mixing. This is the greatest place on the web and everyone is very giving with their help. Welcome aboard!

3 Likes

Iā€™ve been a heavy smoker for the past 14 years smoking atleast a pack a day! Last summer some of my friends bought the SMOK R80 and told me it was great, all of them quit smoking and snus (lip tobacco) using this and they generally felt much better healthwise! Of course i wanted to try this my self as i knew smoking kills and that i have both cancer and heart problems in my genes from both my mother and father. I went online and bought my selfe a black SMOK R80 with a few diffrent juices! The first two weeks was a nightmare as i was coughing like a little boy trying sigarettes for the first time! Sadly those two weeks made me give it up for awhile, although i vaped occasionallyā€¦ on December 2 I decided to give it another shot, and i do not regret it! I went through about one week of coughing my lungs up and after almost 1.5 months of not smoking i can say im never going back to sigarettes! As a gift for my selfe for quit smoking i bought the SMOK ALIEN with the cloud beast tank and i must have hit the jackpot for me because this mod and tank is amazing!! Everywhere i go i see other vapers having fun and people are so nice to talk to! Vaping didnt only help me quit smoking, but also made new friends and opened up a whole new world for me! Im having lots more fun as i can breath more easily, go for longer walks etc! I basically got my life back! :smiley:

17 Likes

Congrats on quitting the stinkies! Love your story and it never grows old to hear these amzing stories!

8 Likes

Thanks! I really wish i gave it a better try last summerā€¦

3 Likes

I had my first drag of a cigarette when I was 9, I was smoking properly (5+ cigarettes a day) by the time I was 12. I have wanted to smoke ever since I was little, donā€™t know why, just remember wanting to. I never wanted to quit smoking and always really enjoyed smoking. If people around me quit then I would congratulate them but it was never something that I wanted to do.
Just over 2 years ago I started working in a new job in a managerial position which meant that I couldnā€™t sneak away for a cigarette easily and when I did I would have a couple of drags and be needed back inside so it would be a waste of time and money. I decided to get an ego vape pen so that I could go outside, have a quick few drags and go back in when needed, then on my lunch I could have a proper ciggie. Then at xmas a couple of months later my sister bought me an eleaf 30watt mod and nautilus tank combo. Within a couple of days I had fell in love with vaping, the difference with the eleaf/nautilus combo over the ego pen was huge. On January 6th 2015, my birthday, and just under 2 weeks after getting the new mod, I stopped smoking altogether. I havenā€™t smoked a single cigarette since that day. I hit my 2 year anniversary just over a week ago and couldnā€™t imagine smoking a real cigarette now.
I canā€™t say that I have saved loads of money, I have saved some by making my own juice but I keep buying new mods and tanks so that puts me back a bit!
Like I said at the beginning of my post, I never actually wanted to give up when I started vaping, it was just supposed to be a stop gap for while I was at work. But now I have stopped and have been off them for 2 years I am really glad I did. I used to hear all the comments like smokers stink and their breath smells like an ashtray, but I never really believed it as I couldnā€™t smell it myself, but a few months ago I hooked up with someone who smoked and it was awful when I kissed her, the taste was disgusting!
If vaping wasnā€™t around then I would still be happily smoking now. I was smoking for 25 years, I didnā€™t even really want to give up, but managed to when I started vaping, so as they say, if I can do it then anyone can!

12 Likes

Congrats on a major milestone of 2 years without smoking!

3 Likes

Fantastic achievement - well done! :+1:

3 Likes

Well guys and gals, just coming up to 4 months since my last cigarette. That was because early on I ran out of juice. Add 2 weeks before that.

I like many others had a familiar story. Smoked since a teenager, tried numerous times to quit. Iā€™m well practiced at quitting just not a great quiter. I donā€™t quit easily thatā€™s for sure.

So Iā€™m stoked Iā€™m vaping now. My Doctor is happy too. I really am enjoying the gear aspect and the DIY. Juice, coils, etc

Iā€™ve noticed and its particularly present currently. That my moods though are still all over the place. I really donā€™t know if changing over has a part to play and I wonder if others had similar experiences.

You know when you gave up cigarettes your have times where your temper, frustration would build up too easily and everything seemed to annoy. Well I getting those kind of moods but probably not as strong. They are strong and if I reflect on my state of mind over the last few months I have been up and down more then usual. Now I do have mental health issues anyways and I get support and what I can to help there with my Dr and Psych. No details is best, I think they tell me I need to practice my boundaries. They are not necessary but suffice to say I am just a little confused right now as to whether the switching could be playing a role in my moods at the moment. So Iā€™d like to ask you all what your experiences were like on the transition and did you guys suffer with mood swings. Not major, but they are happening for sure. I have come close to blowing my top a few times but at the worst found myself overwhelmed with frustration.

Hereā€™s hoping I can blame it on something else, love to hear your stories and also might make me feel a bit better to know Iā€™m not the only one who struggled with this stuff. Hoping it gets easier.

8 Likes

Hang in there Volition! It DOES get easier. Iā€™ve definitely experienced the mood swing thing to the max.
For the first few days, I cried often. For no apparent reason. lol
I still (after 2 years) get anxious in crowds more than before I quit, but it is MUCH
better than the first 6 months or so after I quit the stinkies!

4 Likes

Itā€™s strange I got lulled into a false sense of security. My mind thinks Iā€™ve replaced cigarettes like for like and for all intents and purposes I have. Easy transition.

But obviously those receptors are not 100% happy.

1 outcome is that I have absolutely no desire to return even repulsed by the thought. I get cravings very rarely now and they pass quickly. Yet I donā€™t feel stabilised if that makes sense. Time heals, just hoping I donā€™t break everything while I wait lol.

2 Likes

Itā€™s because cigarettes have anti depressants in them, not just nicotine. It took me over three months to fully transition to vaping, weening slowly down to clear my system of the drugs. Even this way, I had some issues with moods. Everyone is different so you may not be fully free of the effects for many months after. Herbal tea has helped me a lot, simple as it may sound, thereā€™s a valid reason why such things have been used in ancient medicine for millennia.

7 Likes

Wow they have anti depressants in them that is very serious. I had a quick look in Google scholar and could only find this. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1172948/

His journal albeit from 2001 is not conclusive about it.

Wow, where did you hear this information Iā€™d like to find out more, Iā€™ll need to discuss with my psych rather than start diagnosing this stuff myself, I really would like to see if we can come up with something at the moment. My head is all over the place.

a lot of people find success with herbal remedies Tried many things, you name it. However, I really enjoy the ritual of tea making if that sounds odd not like Japanese kind of way. But just the aromas measuring the leaves in the pot. Iā€™ve got a great glass tea pot the strainer sits in the middle and waiting for the tea to steep, pouring the amber liquid. The woody taste no milk for me it is all very soothing. I canā€™t make tea all day damn it. Ha. Itā€™s great very nice. Iā€™m sure it helps in its way.

Itā€™s extremely hard to find anything on Google because such FACTS donā€™t serve the corporate oligarchy. Here is one source but there are others if you dig deep enough and follow all the bread crumbs which are usually buried a dozen pages deep on Google and obscured in bio-chemical tech speak.

Hereā€™s a quote of the relevant portion.

New research suggests that cigarettes have antidepressant qualities. Among the thousands of chemicals found in a combusted cigarette, monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOI) have been detected. Monoamine oxidase is involved in removing the neurotransmitters norepinephrine, serotonin, and dopamine from the brain. MAOIā€™s stop the monoamine oxidase from extracting these neurotransmitters. For these reasons, MAOIā€™s were used as one of the first antidepressants in the early days of psychiatric medication as we know it. Since then, MAOIā€™s are only used as a last resort, because of their debilitating side-effects and withdrawal symptoms. MAOI side effects include: nausea, diarrhea, headache, drowsiness, insomnia, skin reactions, dizziness, muscle spasms, inorgasmia, stunted sex drive, weight gain, muscle aches, and increased suicide risk. MAOI withdrawal symptoms include: agitation, irritability, pressured speech, insomnia, nightmares, hallucinations, disorientation, paranoia, aggressiveness, catatonia, and electric shock feelings. In essence, when you try to quit smoking, not only are you withdrawing from nicotine alone. Along with the additives, tar, and carcinogens, you are withdrawing from a dangerous, outdated antidepressant.

10 Likes

my doctor hates it when I go though this type of stuff with him. Excellent I enjoy ticking him off.

Thanks

5 Likes

Absolutely correct

1 Like

Most doctors are trying to do the right thing, unfortunately they rely too much on big pharma for their info on new discoveries. Some will become arrogant and canā€™t imagine a regular person could possibly be better informed.

1 Like

Mine is very cool and importantly smart too. He recommended vaping too. He s pretty good been seeing same doctor for 6 years. That helps too.

Doctors in medical centres generally just cogs in a machine.

1 Like

Itā€™s a rare blessing to find such a doctor. When my kids were younger their pediatrician was awesome. She would occasionally hint about holistic remedies, which she knew I preferred. Sheā€™d say ā€œI canā€™t prescribe anything thatā€™s not medically proven but some people have claimed good results with ā€œXYZā€.ā€ Then sheā€™d recommend a reliable web site to look into it.

2 Likes

Hi All,
Iā€™m Mark, 47 years old. I started smoking when i was 15, buying single cigs from the local corner shop, out of my pocket money. Ever since i can remember, my cigarette intake increased and i ended up smoking 40 a day for many many years.
Nearly 3 Years ago, i suffered some major problems with my back, resulting in operations and various MRI/CT scans etc.
During the course of my back operations, one of the surgeons looking after me noticed on a scan that i had a large tumor on my Kidney. I was diagnosed with cancer and had swiftly had my Kidney & adrenaline gland removed.
Believe it or not, I carried on smoking for a couple of months after my operation and then i decided i needed to quit if i was going to carry on living.
I started started by buying the vape cigarettes, went onto a Vape Pen and now i have a Subox mini. I found this site very recently after researching DIY juices and i have been making my own juices with varying results for a couple of months.
On the 20th July this year i will be clean from cigarettes and cancer for 3 years :slight_smile:
Thank you to everyone on this site for sharing all of the information and recipes, its a nice place to come in my efforts to stay health and alive!!
Thanks
Mark

11 Likes