I'm looking for a cigar flavor with cedar notes

Does it even exist??
Smooth, mellow & a little sweet would be good too, though not essential - the cedar note is what I’m really after.
Any recommendations?

1 Like

I’ve been searching for the same thing. Disappointed with FA cigar flavors (both) and TFA cubano. I’m waiting to hear from @Josephine_van_Rijn about the Inawera. There are a few more out there, but I’m not spending the money to find out. I’ll just stick with my FA Tuscan til I hear otherwise.

1 Like

Thx Jimk… in the meantime, I’ll try the FA Tuscan.
I bought a juice a while back called “Enterprise” by Rocket Sheep - a cigar(ish) vape - delicious though a bit sweet …it had that cedar note …wild! I’m surprised no one’s tried to clone it

1 Like

Yeah, tobacco flavors are extremely hard to clone, as I have found out the hard way. I’ve been trying to clone Bobas Bounty for a long time… Can’t do it! Moved on!

The Tuscan reserve and the 7 leaves by FA are excellent tobaccos. They are my some of my main flavors for an ADV. Inawera is channeling the naturally extracted tobacco vendors right now with their “for Pipe” collection. Awesomely awesome!

1 Like

Likin’ the sound of “Awesomely awesome!”…

1 Like

As a long time pipe and cigar smoker I can say one thing with certainty. I cannot imagine a vape, regardless of how wonderful the taste, that would come anywhere close to the experience of pipe and tobacco smoking. To me, equal among the various pleasures of smoking them is the aroma of the smoldering bowl or cigar. The warm and fragrant smell that is right at the point of the embers. But hey, that’s just me. And I will also say there is nothing like taking a La Gloria Cubana out of the humidor when it’s been basking in cedar for 3 years. Can you even come close to mimicking that? I think you tread on sacred ground. It would be like painting a room white with all white furniture and calling it Heaven. Oh the sacrilege! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Kinda the same thing with liquor vapes as well. It’s just a somewhat pleasant reminiscent moment of what the “real thing” used to be like. Sense memory is what I enjoy now; the old way of enjoying tobacco and alcohol almost killed me and others !

1 Like

All be it far from real… it’s the next best thing.

Dont you worry 'bout a thing, Bro… there’ll be no sacrilege here!.. I’ll just be messin with some bottles labeled “tobacco”, the contents of which wont bare the remotest resemblance to that we have held so dear. And the end result will be a… “No cigar!” (but hopefully a bloody nice flavor!)

…I’ll let you know if the elusive note comes my way.

On the idea of a woody flavor, has anyone tried the Oakwood from FA? I’m extremely interested and if it weren’t for the fact that it’d be a total novelty purchase (unless it was amazing) I’d already have a bottle. It sounds like it’d pair nicely with tobaccos and whiskey.

1 Like

I have some steeping but I haven’t tried it yet. I hope I will like it. It suppose to give an aged oak barrel effect where you want it and a earthy, woodsy effect to tobacco.

2 Likes

Can’t wait to hear about it. It sounds lovely and very intriguing. :smile:

1 Like

I saw it in a couple @JimK’s recipes.

2 Likes

I did a sneak peek with the Cuba cigar from Inawera today, it has only steeped 4 days though. All I can say is it tastes musty. Unless it improves dramatically with more steeping or higher %, I used 3, I would say, nah. I have another Inawera flavour called old havana but have no high hopes for that. It’s supposed to be Cuban cigar with a custard note. That just might turn out to be musty custard then. I will have to let that steep a little, only got it in saturday.
I have a flavour by a brand called Kandi Hed called Havana, bought that at justvape247. They had PG and VG based and recommended blending the VG based at 10%. I thought I had the VG one and used 10%, turns out I do have the PG and it doesn’t even remotely taste of cigar at 10%, let alone cedar. I found a recipe called Cigar Maxx floating around which was;
1.5% Cigar Passion FA
1% Tuscan Reserve FA
1% Maxx Blend FA and
0.5% Black Fire FA
Just having a vape on that now after 11 days steep and very disappointing, no Cigar really.
I’m sorry guys, it seems to me there is a lot of work to do in the Cigar department of flavours. I think TFA’s Cubano is very likely the best there is at the moment. IMO that is anyway. The only option would be to add cedar flavour to it yourself but I don’t think it exists. I had a look for it at Flavourart since they have a lot of weird flavours because the make flavours for cooking, but no cedar.

1 Like

As far as replacing cigarettes, well I find vaping does a good job seeing how I never thought cigarettes were all that enjoyable. Funny how I smoked the damn things for 30+ years. Even when I was a heavy smoker, if I wasn’t burning one myself I couldn’t stand being around someone who was. But pipes and cigars - that’s a totally different thing. I didn’t inhale that smoke so perhaps there’s something to it there. But with my pipes especially. That may have been more a hobby than vice. There is a good bit that goes into pipe smoking. A refinement of taste and skill so to speak. Knowing the difference between a tobacco that smells wonderful due to flavorings and humectants as opposed to one that earns its stripes on tobacco quality alone…the proper cleaning and handling of a pipe…the painstaking process of readying the tobacco, lighting, tamping…it really is a type of hobby and lost art. It got me through college when I also worked full time. The relaxation one gets while slowly enjoying such a simple pleasure.

Do I romanticize it? Well, yes indeed. Do I still smoke the occasional pipe? Not in a couple of years now. But I can say with certainty that taste alone does not replace a pipe or cigar for me. Don’t get me wrong. I’m not knocking the attempt to try and duplicate the flavor. In fact I think it’s quite fascinating how some flavors come together to create something uniquely different, and if you ask me that’s what it would take to remake cigar or pipe smoke taste. I just am stressing my fondness for them. I’ve tried some pipe and cigar blends which is mainly the reason I can’t get too excited over the challenge.

Now here’s where my head would be if I were to attempt remaking fine cigars or pipe tobacco. First, try to think of the different notes in the tobacco. Don’t discount the wrapper. A Connectucut Shade wrapper has a far different aroman than say a Maduro. What do you taste and smell? Without getting too specific as to types of tobaccos and wrappers (not talking about Tampa Nuggets here), over time among various cigars I’ve tasted hints of coffee, spices, pepper, bergamot, chocolate, sandlewood, oak, berries…just a large variety of different flavor notes accompany most fine cigars. I think in order to get a really good head start on making a good tobacco you need to have a base which suites the overall dominating flavor. So say you find a tobacco flavor you feel like would make a good base (personally, I think it may need to be several). Then add in extremely small quantities some of the various other flavors that may be present. Hell, maybe even smoke the cigar you want just to see what flavors you discover. That’s where i would start. But as for the OP question of cedar…I wouldn’t have a clue who might have it, but I did think of this.

Why not go to a local cigar store. Ask them for some of the cedar separators you find in some cigar boxes. I think Ashton has them. They are sheets of cedar and are quite thin. Take some and tear into strips. Put them into a container bottle (maybe 4 oz) and soak in PG for a while. Then strain the PG through some cheese cloth before using it. It probably wouldn’t pick up a ton of flavor, but is it possible it would grab enough to lightly flavor the PG? Of course there’s the research needed for potential health risk. Just an idea.

2 Likes

I started to read this and realized it is overkill for a simple response. It’s just as simple as I stated… It’s the next best thing.

I’m feeling the best way to get the true cigar flavor in any vape product, one must go through the N.E.T. process with actual cigars. I’m on the verge of doing this.

1 Like

Oh, the humanity! But, you’re right! Definitely has that ashy cigar quality.

1 Like

Make sure to keep us informed. I visited that extraction site you posted and it was very interesting. The only thing that deterred me was price vs usage percentage. I’m sure that’s something that would have be sacrificed in order to have that cigar/pipe experience. I tried the NET process, with mixed results though. It definitely deserves another look.

1 Like