LG 18650 "not for vaping"

I have 6. :smiley: :smiley:

1 Like

Question: Would this battery be considered unsafe?

Yes. :+1: Rewrap that asap!

3 Likes

Depends what the positive side looks like. Personally, I’d rewrap it either way, but technically most of the battery is “negative” except for the top. Unsafe? Probably not the best battery, but it’s probably less dangerous than a lit stick of dynamite, or wet magnesium!

1 Like

Ever heard of a frivolous lawsuit? Apparently some businesses have decided they’re more than just a nasty rumor. :wink:

I need a re-wrapping tutorial.

1 Like

I use precut wraps but you can buy it in a roll like the guy in the video. I also just use a hair dryer instead of a blow torch, but I’ve also seen people use a regular lighter. Just (obviously) be extra careful if you use fire of any kind. And don’t forget to keep the little insulator ring from the positive end and put it back on under your new wrap.

2 Likes

Yup. As the negative end splinters away the opposite end will loosen causing things to shift around that shouldn’t. Rewrap.

1 Like

I’ve just fried one of mine with a slightly damaged wrapper when i tried to take it out of a pwm mod. The battery contact is a bit short so it dug in under the wrapper and shorted. The battery contact was almost white hot for a second before i pushed it back in.
Now i have to replace the contact which is a pain, lost a battery and the mod stinks.

I was super paranoid about rewrapping my batteries, even to the point of just not using them anymore. But I put my big-girl pants on and tried it and it’s one of the easiest thing I’ve done in vaping. LoL. I use the precut wraps and a hair dryer also. I toasted my fingers a bit on the first couple trying to figure out how to hold the stupid little insulator in place while the wrap got all shrinked down, and several of the ones I did were pretty uneven, but it worked. LoL

Pretty much just carefully cut the old one off, hang on to the white plastic ring, put the new wrap on the battery, put the ring back on, hit it with some heat until it shrinks up.

4 Likes