[Local] Industry [is a] Scam

Not even a little.

2 Likes

And I didn’t get kissed, either.

6 Likes

:laughing:

2 Likes

Maaaaaan i almost pissed myself laughing. Sorry, i have no clue what a ZAR is or a voopoo but that sounds so like the hitchhiker’s guide through the galaxy.
What’s a ZAR anyway? a Zimbabwian Arunkle? And i don’t even want to know what a voopoo is. Must be either illegal or immoral. Man thanks so much for this…

4 Likes

Yes, you do actually. Or you might want to look into it. It is a hard hitting mod.

3 Likes

Allrighty, another DNA mod… still sounds like Douglas Adams.

3 Likes

It’s just that the way you want to point out your issue, you paint the whole vaping industry off like scammers. I cannot say anything about the local shops in South Africa, they may have a different business mentality, but it is a fact that the industry in general is no scamming business.
If you find that local shops are ripping you off, there are 2 things you can do: shop around for better local shops or do as so many here, buy your stuff online and practice some patience until it arrives.

Online business is always cheaper because they don’t have the same running costs as a small local shop that only caters for a small crowd.
I can understand some shops having higher prices because they also offer additional services that online shops can’t provide. They can let you test out equipment and liquids before you buy, give you a little explanation and help you in choosing what would be best for you (since every vaper has different needs and wishes). Obviously, there are some businesses who take things a little far, not everybody knows how to properly run a business either.

Is there any reason why you have to rely on local extortion prices and can’t buy from gearbest.com or fasttech.com?

3 Likes

I suggest that you take the trouble to read the thread. Opinionating and shooting from the hip helps nothing and no one.

1 Like

I know right? LOL One of my all time favorite books. I think I first read it in 9th grade, and have read it many times sense.

Google is your friend…

1 Like

I really don’t understand this post. Isn’t everything posted here an opinion? Was your OP not an opinion? Did you lay out rules in the OP stating that other opinions were not allowed?

7 Likes

I’m sure its been said, but you have to look at what you are really paying for man. You want to buy pre-made juice? Someone has to make it, they have to market it, they have to pay a distributor to warehouse it and distribute it, they have to package it, ship it, they have to have access to their own clean room or pay someone who does to mix it, they have to bottle it and label it, they have to absorb the risk that things dont sell or are damaged in transit, they have to pay taxes, and they still have to feed their kids. It is the same with coils, mods, atomizers, everything. If you expect to be able to walk into a local business, know that the guy that runs that business has to pay the guy that sells you the stuff you buy there, and to do that, he marks up everything he buys by 100% of what he paid for it. He bought it from a distributor that marked it up 100% what they paid for it. And the manufacturer charged the distributor 500% cost on it. It isnt just vaping. You think Nike’s cost $140 to make? You think a Rolex costs $15000 to make? This is retail. You are paying for convenience. You are paying to not have to learn how to sew a pair of sneakers or make staple coils or invest time into r&d on your own eliquid recipes or buy a cnc turning center to make whatever it is you want. Are some shops probably more expensive than others, more than they need to be? Yep, for sure. But it isnt a conspiracy or a scam, and there are scams in the vape industry. I’ve seen someone cut open a brandless 18650 “high drain” battery and there is a 10350 cell inside an 18650 case. Thats a scam. Clones sold as authentics, that is a scam, and that goes on all the time. But typical retail markup is the cost of convenience.

8 Likes

I think I’m getting the hang of this. I didn’t really pay attention to the title of this thread. “Industry Scam” that is what has every one up in arms. I just figured @filledb was complaining about how expensive things are in a B and M and because of where he lives he has a legitimate gripe. So let me ask

@filledb are you pissed because you believe the " vaping industry " is one big giant scam? or perhaps its a local thing. Are you mad at your local vaping business(es) for “scamming” you? I wonder if the misunderstanding is a cultural difference.

3 Likes

Dan, I’ve answered that. I specifically pointed out to Ken the following:
“You know Ken I pointed out more than once that I am not referring to Stateside prices or industries, perhaps I was too oblique and for that I apologize for not perhaps being clearer. But the fact is that here there is definitely a prevalent cult of greed, where by and large, pricing is based on what the market will bear, not on a fair profit.”

“Here’s an example, a Voopoo cost me 1600 ZAR. Where you folks live you get them for $45. Translated into ZAR, that’s 450 ZAR. But as was pointed out, stores don’t pay list price so you can prolly half that to about $22.50 which equates to 220 ZAR and they are not shipping them 1 at a time… My new store’s price was 890 ZAR. That. my friend is why I’m bitching as you so eloquently put it.”

I’m not slagging off the US although there are several of your fellow countrymen who also feel that elements in the industry are overpricing, I am referring to where I live. I do wish folks would read with a view to understanding rather than answering…

So to answer your question, with a few rare exceptions, the bulk of the vaping industry where I live are ripping the public off BIG TIME.

2 Likes

I view it just the opposite. First of all I’m tickled how much I’ve not only learned but all the fun I had as a direct result from quitting smoking. I see it as a great business opportunity to maybe have a smokeless shop one day myself. But, I’ve never thought an industry was trying to scam me, haa. I choose where I spend my money and when I’m not happy I go elsewhere. Sorry you’re so salty. Be happy, there’s enough opportunities for everyone to succeed that wants to I think. God speed…;))

3 Likes

Dude… I can say the same thing. Have YOU been following this thread, did YOU read the " question " I asked, with the view of understanding?

I thought I made it clear that I understood where you are coming from. I thought it was obvious that I thought there was a cultural difference going on and that I wanted peace to prevail by asking a question that you could answer point blank.

To quote @Vapnzdabidnz, " sorry your so salty " and to quote an old saying… " no good deed, goes unpunished "

I really should learn to listen more and talk less.

3 Likes

great points to consider brother

2 Likes

That remark wasn’t directed at you Dan…

1 Like

you are absolutely right in that the commercial e liquid pricing is a scam. that is one of the main reason we make our own stuff. we also know whats in it good and bad. i’ll never buy another commercial e liquid again because i refuse to pay $1 per ML e liquid. wished it wasnt crazy expensive but it is and can also see why many people around here have switched back to smoking. vaping is getting to be too expensive to do unless the vaper can make his or her own liquids and coils. there are a few shops in Kentucky that make liquid so cheap…but goddamn is it gross.

2 Likes

ten letters

2 Likes