Lost Vape Furyan Mechanical Squonk Mod Review by tbt127

Nice find and I will try to take some time to mess with this later today.

In my honest opinion this is a very nice mod in every other way.

I am a big guy that has worked with my hands all my life, so I have not only big hands but also strong hands and it is at best difficult for me to push the fire button hard enough to get it to fire.

3 Likes

That nut being aligned like that would cause an arc issue without a doubt. But I do like the fact that it has a flat surface nut.

Two issues I ran into, one with the Athena, was a flat half inch connection plate meeting a round surface! On top of that, the flat connection piece was angled in giving it even less of a connection. On YouTube I found a video adjusting the flat connection with pliers, bending it back about 5 degrees. Still, a flat surface bar making contact with a round pice is just poor design. And it’s not just the Athena that has this.

Along with squaring the nut, working in just a tiny bit of Ox-Gard would make this a very hard hitting mech.

6 Likes

I missed that.

How do builders of mech mods not take into account these simple details? Flat surfaces + solid contact = less arc.

5 Likes

I agree and it is a shame Lost Vape even released this mod as it is. I think it is very well made in every other aspect but falling short on the fire button design was a big disappointment to me. This kind of makes me think that not a single person at Lost Vape even tried this mod before it was released for sale.

5 Likes

I hope all of this “mech tech” isn’t distracting too much attention from a great review by @SunnyT but she pointed out an issue that many will face, not just with this mod, but many like it. Maybe a split topic off her review to discuss mech squonkers and their quirks and fixes?

I do too. And it is a great looking mod.

6 Likes

I actually forgot that I did notice this on mine when I took it apart as well. I did straighten the nut up, but it didn’t fix my problem. Its been about 2 months since I have taken it apart, so I can’t remember exactly what I did, but you mentioning this reminded me…I think I am gonna tinker with it today…

I really like every aspect of this mod as well. Aside from the firing button problem, it is the ideal squonker! I love the squonk bottles so much, they are perfect, imo…

By this statement, I can tell that you understand my exact dilemma!!! It is extremely hard to get this mod to fire, as I said before, it leaves an imprint of the button in my thumb…

6 Likes

Thanks for the concern, and while I do think a topic on mech squonkers and their quirks and fixes would make for a fine topic that should definitely be created, I also think that the info about this particular mod is good here in this review thread as well, because as you said, many people may also run into this particular problem with this particular mod. Therefore, with some of the trials and errors we are facing with the Furyan being right here with the review it may be very helpful to someone trying to find info regarding it!

5 Likes

You nailed it, I totally agree with everything in your review. I was really struggling with doing my review of this because my first instinct was to come on a trash the quality just because of the fire button issue. I am so glad I held off now because I see this going in a very positive direction now.

Thank you for doing such a great review and drawing in the attention of others that may be able to help come up with a good solution to this issue. With the fire button issue fixed I can see this mod becoming one of my favorite squonk mods. I think Lost Vape did a beautiful job on this one in every other aspect.

I could not agree more with this statement. I think others would find this information very helpful. If and when we find a fix that works well you could always add a tag in the title line at the end such as AND HOW TO FIX IT.

Again thank you for such a nice review because I would have never done such a tasteful job considering my disappointment right from the first time I pushed the fire button.

Your review and the direction the comments have went has renewed my interest in finding a fix for this issue.

4 Likes

Speaks volumes of how and what this community should be.

5 Likes

The negative contact is traveling thru those long bolts from bottom cap to top cap so cleaning out those lil threads, applying ox-gard may help too. May sound as if @TheTinMan and myself have stock in it but u use so very lil, almost like u are simply changing the color of the metal, if that makes sense.
Use a tiny art brush or q-tip

3 Likes

Great review, and great pics, that is a beautiful Mech.
:+1::+1::+1::+1::+1:

2 Likes

First I want to thank @SunnyT for posting this wonderful review that managed to renew my interest in the Furyan Fix.

Also a big Thank You to @TheTinMan , @jhmiller and @worm1 for all of the suggestions.

After several attempts and many little tweaks to the large spring I believe I have actually managed to fix this.

I found more than just one issue with this device and how the 510 and fire button were designed. Lost Vape all I can say is very poor design and even poorer quality control on your part with this mod’s fire button.

That said let’s get on to what I found to be the FIX and yea it hits like a ballistic missile strike now every single time I press the fire button. @SunnyT You will be happy to hear ya don’t need 500 lbs of force to make the button fire after these tweaks are done.

Y’all can skip the comments about my dirty finger nails I was working on rebuilding the engine in my farm tractor while I was working on the Furyan during breaks.

This is the view before I started

Step 1 bend towards the fire button very slightly

Step 2 bend this down towards the black plastic so the bottom of the spring sits flat on the black plastic

Step 3 bend this whatever way you need to go to make this a 90 degree angle

Next issue that needs to be addressed. I was not able to get pictures of some of this because to even see the problems I needed to look at the fire button contact surface and the flat surface of the nut on the 510 under magnification to see that neither of these surfaces were even close to being flat or smooth. For this step I used these. Jewelers file and yea you guessed it Ox-Gard.

You could probably get by with a coarse finger nail file but the Ox-Gard turned out to be absolutely necessary.

You will need to file the surface of the contact on the back side of the fire button flat. Mine had like a little nipple dead center so that nipple was the only contact point to the flat surface of the nut on the 510 pin.

You will also need to file all 4 of the flat surfaces of the nut because they were also not flat or smooth.

Before putting this all back together apply a very small amount of Ox-Gard to the threads of the 510 pin and put the little 4 sided nut back on but do not tighten it just run it down to touch the black part.

What I did next was installed the atomizer that I intend to use permanently on this device and you will notice in the picture the little 4 sided nut is no longer snug to the black part of the 510.

You will or at least I did adjust the little nut to match the button on the back of the fire button assemble so that it hits the center of the flat part of the nut. In my case I had to loosen the nut by 1/2 turn. See red circled area in the picture below

This picture shows what it should look like just before you put it all back together.

I applied the Ox-Gard to the threads of the 510 then put the little 4 sided nut back on. I also applied it to both flat surfaces of the contacts for the fire mechanism and I also applied it to the threads and the heads of both of the brass screws that hold the mod together.

Ox- Gard can be purchased at any hardware store or if you know someone that is an electrician by trade they will also have it and should have no problem giving you a very small dab to do this project. All you need is enough to dip a q-tip in. I put one little tiny drop on a q-tip and did all of the surfaces with it.

Only time will tell if this fix works long term but for now anyway the Furyan lives. :wink:

8 Likes

That is just outstanding! I’m glad you got it sorted.

I’ve found that minor tweaks and some filing and a little ox-gard are the rule more than they are the exception on squonk mods. @worm1 does a tear down of his mech box once a week.

It does kind of suck that you have to do this. Anything new out of the box should be perfect. With regulated mods that is the case. With mechs you may have to tinker a bit. Arcing being the main factor.

I do think the design is poor. The nut should come squared up. The throw should be short and pleasant. But even then, if you have arcing, minor maintenance is to be expected. I tear my favorite mech squonker down every couple of weeks. Do some light filing and a fresh bit of ox-gard. Also, with a squonker you will get some juice in the internals every so often.

And none of this is really new. People that pay high dollar for REO squonk mods had this figured out a while back. Imagine paying $400 or more for a squonker that you have to work on, or maintain, every few weeks. It’s the nature of mechs.

5 Likes

Wow! Thank you so much for the detailed solution! I am hoping to find some time over the weekend to get mine broke down so I can fix it, but I first have to go pick up some ox-gard and some files from the hardware store! I will keep you guys updated on how it goes! And just as @wvsanta said, I echo his thanks for the suggestions made by @TheTinMan @worm1 and @jhmiller!

5 Likes

After the fix

Hitting hard and very easy to fire now. It has not had a single issue in the past 24hrs of use. I have not had to push the fire button in any sort of special way just grab the mod push the button any old way and it hits like a tank every time.

6 Likes

Fantastic review dear :wink: , loved it, shame about the issues but nice that you were honest, great job :wink:

5 Likes

Okay Vape Fam, I finally got around to going to the hardware store to pick up some ox-gard and files that @TheTinMan recommended to me! Using these and following the wonderful fix pics that @wvsanta posted, I was able to fix my Furyan! I am not going to post more pics because they will look exactly the same as @wvsanta’s! I followed his instructions to a tee and now this mod hits like a freight train! Thanks to all those who helped me! I really appreciate very much!

Now that this mod has been fixed, I can say that I do really like it and enjoy the vape I am getting from it!! I would love to be able to recommend it to others, but I can’t! I can only recommend it to those who are okay knowing that they may have to tinker with it to get it to work properly for them, and not to those who wish for it to work properly out of the box (as it should)!

8 Likes

Glad you were able to get it going. I have been really enjoying it but as you said this one is not for everyone.

4 Likes

Yes I did, but only thanks to your step-by-step instructions showing me how!!! Many thanks to you for that!

4 Likes

Man, I just noticed something. Is that a Wasp Nano with a 510 drip tip? I’ve been having trouble with spit back and saw that pic and went and grabbed a 510 and it fit perfect. Didn’t cure the problem, but damn sure eased it.

5 Likes