Magnetic stirring for the unfamiliar

They finally made it to MI yesterday afternoon but now they are delayed there for some damn Fcking reason I have been waiting 2 weeks now for an item that was supposed to be here 3 days after ordering! I tried calling them and got no resolution!

2 Likes

Lmao! You always got the good ones!

I had to invest in something basic

Working well so far and with it being heated itā€™s easy to give it a quick blast to thin the liquid.

6 Likes

Thatā€™s a good stirrer, Phill.
Want some stoppers for your flasks?
http://www.widgetco.com/silicone-rubber-stoppers

1 Like

Cheers but Iā€™m in the UK so might not be as cheap as you think.

When I bought the flasks I totally forgot about stoppers :frowning:

Any lab supply will have them , GB. UK, EU, etc. no need to order from US.
So far, with all the other bullshit loss-of-rightsā€¦it is STILL legal to own stoppersā€¦
but I would get a few before they [Parliament, etc] finds out we will use them to
stick in their mouths, or up their arseā€¦! :smile_cat:

4 Likes

Well I finally have some stir bars :blush:
Since my first set I ordered got lost in the mail I contacted the seller and he sent me 3 more and I received them today so I thought I would add some water to me beaker and see if my contraption works!

8 Likes

With VG and PG the vortex will be greatly reduced compared to the water vortex due to the thicker volume of liquid.

I donā€™t even worry about a vortex. I just want to see a million bubbles when I shine a light thru the side of the beaker. A nice steady, smooth mix. I think it blends better, and after the friction heats it up, I always have a beautiful small vortex at the endā€¦about 45+ minutes of stirring.

3 Likes

@Code-Vape I have all the parts to make a similar box. I had plans to protect the top. Iā€™ve seen some people with that black foam woven waffle padding like something you would line a drawer with, but I also though I could just carefully cover the top with heavy clear packing tape.

1 Like

I use Saran Wrap to cover the beaker to protect it from spilling out if it ever does and to also protect it from particles in the air.

I was worried about protecting your cool@ss box. It looks like you brushed some poly on there

1 Like

Nope it was already on the cigar box :slight_smile: I will be making another out of frosted plexiglass and throw in some led for looks eventually lol :+1::+1:

4 Likes

Cork, rubber, neoprene, silicone, gum, etcā€¦any sizeā€¦

Yes, for slippage.
I use thin silicone liner [for my cookie sheets, baking pans, oven liners, table cloth at my coffee station, etc]
I cut a round circle for my mixersā€¦you can even use one of the rubber jar lid grabbers. I buy it in 2ā€™x6ā€™
sheets and cut it to size.

1 Like

Where would we be without you @ozo ?
I was talking about this stuff ā€¦non adhesive rubber grippy drawer liner

2 Likes

Ya, I knew what you meant [waffle]. I use it in the shop to hold my material from sliding, like when Iā€™m sanding. Itā€™s a ā€˜foamā€™ type material, not sure what it would do with heat, plus itā€™s thicker, and may be a bit wobbly with some containers.
This silicone liner is thin, and stays in place [almost] like it had adhesive backing. I use it all over the house for various things, even as a jar lid gripper to open jars. In the oven, one the counter, etc.

2 Likes

good point. I hope the miz wonā€™t get POā€™ed when I cut a slice of the silicone cookie sheet ā€¦I have a couple myself, awesome for baking

1 Like

HAā€¦ I would kill you if you cut one of my baking mats [like a Silpat]

3 Likes

yeah mine are cheapo ā€¦one I got at Goodwill for 99cents

1 Like