Making & Wrapping Coils

I got my coil master kit today! I also ordered some Clapton wire, which came today too. Can anyone share videos on wrapping coils again? Also is the ELR coil wrapping site fairly easy?

5 Likes

Here you go:
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=coil+wrapping&&view=detail&mid=CA534B51DA22CDE47E13CA534B51DA22CDE47E13&FORM=VRDGAR

3 Likes
3 Likes

Thank you :blush:

If I were you, I’d also check youtube for a build tutorial specifically for the rba you’re using.
I only have experience with SS clapton wire and I find it’s VERY springy wire (unlike the fused clapton which I prefer).
When I put a coil on my atty with special wire (i.e. anything that is not regular straight wire), I put the leads in the atty and fasten the screws with the coil pressed against the posts. When the screws are tightened, I pull the coil back with the rod of the coil jig in the coil so that there’s enough spacing between to posts and the coil so you don’t get a short anywhere.
With regular straight wire, you don’t have that springiness, you you’ll have to allow that spacing from the posts before you tighten the screws. Make sure that for a dual coil configuration, both coils are made exactly the same and have the same spacing between the coil and the posts, otherwise you’re going to have 1 coil heating up more than another.

3 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5Mj4QaPo0U

3 Likes

SS wire can be very springy and difficult in claptons specially if you’re working with high gauges. What I usually do is leave the entire finished wire intact and while it’s still on the drill, I go over it with a torch. This takes all the spring out of it and makes it easier to wrap without unraveling. Of course this takes away the shine, but who cares. Or you could buy your wire from Kidney Puncher as they sell it annealed and this helps it stay in place.

6 Likes

The first time I worked with it I said “F%^#!!! How in hell to get this right?”, but I learned how to work with it lol
I don’t use the torch, just like I described: space the coil always, screw it in pushed against the posts and once tightened, just pull it in place and it’ll stay there without being too annoying :smiley:

Everyone has their own tricks to do things, whatever way works best for you is the right way.

3 Likes

have fun, try not to get overwhelmed with all the info you are about to receive. make sure you start easy first and have fun. its so rewarding when you get that first perfect build and it being wicked properly. always remember to be safe…

2 Likes

I get all my SS wire from KP :+1:

2 Likes

Youtube is your best friend in this case. There are many many different types of coils, wires and methods. As @Jake31 suggested, search coil builds for your specific atty to see what others have found may work best. Keep in mind the limitations of your mod as well. Don’t use titanium of nickel wire if your mod is not Temp Control compatible.

4 Likes

Just go to YouTube and watch 20 videos. You’ll find the one that makes the most sense. There’s like 200. That’s what I did. Search for vape/coil/wicking/coil build.

It is true. Making your own coils is easy. But it’s not that easy at first…just like making ejuice. It’s alittle tough because it’s new to you. Build a few coils and practice and it gets easy. (I’m not sure if this made sense. Lol).

5 Likes

And do not dry fire

3 Likes

absolutely!

1 Like

@Jazzy_girl this is a must watch video for SS clapton or fused clapton

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBOOuxQzY7M

3 Likes

Also note that none of this is necessary if you space your coils :wink:
This process used to drive me insane and it’s not necessary if you don’t make tight coils. Spaced coils also tend to give better flavor and throat hit imo.

1 Like

I still like to break them in slow and pulse them at low watts :+1:

2 Likes

When you have the time @Jazzy_girl, have a look at this thread

But just like everything in DIY, give the different options a try and see what works best for you. Many different people, many different opinions :wink:

2 Likes

and @Jazzy_girl Gotta second this. DJlsb vapes, Mike Vapes, Vapin Fagin, Rip Trippers, etc. all will test builds before they publish a build in a review. Every RBA wicks differently. I have picked up a lot of hints from these guys/gals that make life a lot easier. And then there are those that I just end up wicking multiple times to get it right.

3 Likes

Don’t know about the ELR coil wrapping site (?), I’ve been using steam-engine for wire building.
http://www.steam-engine.org/wirewiz.asp

In the wire builder section select Clapton, and enter the material and gauge the core and wrap your Clapton wire is made of. In the coil setup section, I play around with the inner diameter and number of wraps until the results show the ohm I’m wanting. Since I don’t make coils below .5 ohms, I leave the leg length and wrap spacing at the default numbers, it doesn’t affect the results enough to be a concern.

6 Likes