Mesh coil dry

Ok, so I’m wondering if the old Ogre is loosing his marbles (no offense @Lostmarbles) or what.

Used a single mesh vertical coil for about a week and it started tasting dry. That’s a pretty good life span so no complaints there. I took it out and it appears fine. Pretty darn clean. Anybody else experienced this? Haven’t used that many mesh coils so I’m not sure how much they show wear, gunking, whatever.

5 Likes

I’ll be following this because I know shit about mesh. I haven’t used the Profile very much yet and I’m getting another mesh RDA so I would love to know the answer to your question.

4 Likes

Cool, I’m glad I’m not the only one that’s new to this. I start getting that “singed” taste from a coil and I know what I’m going to find but this thing looks really clean. The other part of this is that it is a kit for review and I don’t want to misrepresent the thing.

5 Likes

I’m with @Josephine_van_Rijn, no knowledge of mesh coils so will be following to see what I can learn! Did you remove the bones before grinding the flesh into vape juice?

3 Likes

No knowledge but watch lots of reviews. I remember grimmgreen saying that on one of his tanks it was better with a lighter draw. Meaning that when he was pulling too hard he would get a dry sensation.

Hope that makes sense.

5 Likes

Why of course, silly. Only newby Ogres don’t know that.

4 Likes

Makes perfect sense, and it could be a factor. I’ve been drawing longer and harder as time goes by and I get more lung function back. Maybe the wicking just replenishes a little slower?

4 Likes

Yeah. I haven’t purchased a premade coil for acoople years now. In fact, I still have my stash of crown v1’s stockpiled. Now I think I don’t need a stick pile any more since I’m cool with rebuilding…but on the other hand kinda wanna try one of the better prebuilt mesh coils…yet too cheap to invest in one. Lol.

4 Likes

Per my senses so far the mesh coil heads are getting close to RBA but not quite there yet. I’m not buying any replacement heads. I like RBA’s.

5 Likes

None taken brother Ogre. You lose all the marbles you want.

5 Likes

I think his loss would be my (and possibly others) gain! :blush:

3 Likes

I’d have to loose a lot of marbles for that to become apparent.

3 Likes

I’m waiting on my profile to arrive (caught in the Chinese holiday slow up) so I can’t weigh in yet, but just out of curiosity, did you happen to notice much change in resistance? Can you glow the mesh and see if anything looks strange? I’m not sure if any of that would make a difference but it’s stuff like that that I wonder about. Must be the loss of some of them marbles.

2 Likes

I tried a couple mesh sub ohm tanks as well as rdas and even the profile rda.

The sub ohm tanks I tested, did have a dry nearly unsaturated hit. Felt like it wasn’t wicking correctly. Juices that taste fine in other tanks, mostly bakeries, felt somebody added sand too it.

But that only happened if I would vape at the “best at” or higher wattage. If kept below the actual base wattage it was fine.

I ended up removing cotton out of some prebuilt mesh coils because they were too packed, after that it was fine.

Most mesh rdas I tried (not many so) were a bit better, still not satisfied with it.

The profile rda is different but well I don’t want to spoil it lol.

Hope that helps you out a little.

Edit: most mesh coils show no wear it only tiny brownish spots here and there, but the cotton is apparently the issue, after a while it just sinks underneath the coil or pushes through the little holes of the mesh. That’s when I change them or at least clean them.

1 Like

Does it improve when you replace the wick? The wick (amount and placement) is the biggest difference with mesh coil heads, often using a lot more cotton and IMO better saturation with a coil head. Degradation/collapse of the cotton may be a reason if there’s big difference between day 1 and 7.

2 Likes

@Lostmarbles, Resistance stayed stable. I’ll have to think on glowing it. It’s a manufactured core not a rba. Goot thoughts!

@eStorm,

This makes a whole lot of sense! One each, whole lot of sense! Thanks!

@anon28032772, I think you and Estorm have got it. I didn’t replace the cotton but I see why you asked.

2 Likes

Dang, my apologies…don’t know how I didn’t catch the not-an-rba part. Stupid muscle relaxers…

Lol, no sorry necessary. All good. Your assertions are still just as valid. I won’t even go into things I have misread. Some of the were really embarrassing, lol.

1 Like