Mixing by weight - flavor weight

wow that’s soo cool ur awesome!!! thanks a bunch!!!

1 Like

Personally I like the scale… has a fairly small footprint and the batteries seem to last good. The auto off feature has never been an issue and it was well within my budget.

I have been having problems with multiple scales that tend to cut off when adding drops slowly. I have also had problems with them in the past just from adding to it while its on the platform - versus removing the container, adding something, then putting it back on the platform to check the weight. The second method of course would be annoying but I want to know if anyone cares to share any specific tips/tricks that could help with taring etc, im all ears…it may be because I am making small 30 ml mixes and some flavor amounts are under .2g, seems like taring the scales for those lower amounts are where it gets fishy.
Also some good advice is to get a scale with a calibration weight b/c if they get off by just .01 it can really start messing things up, had to figure that one out after a couple wasted bottles!

90% of my mixes are 30ml and under. My etekcity scale doesn’t like to register single drops. As long as I’m doing 2 or more drops it is fine. I’ve found if I need to add a single drop, I usually know where it will put it to and how much it weighs so I just mentally add that. Also, I’ve noticed if I add a single drop and then blow on the scale it will usually force it to register, but it takes it a second. Oddly, it doesn’t work as well if I tap it. Did you try putting new batteries in the scale? Sorry I can’t be of more help. I really haven’t had any trouble with mine. :confused:

1 Like

yeah its different problems with different scales :confused:…one likes to turn off if your slowly adding drops for some reason it thinks you are not adding at all- kicked that one to the curb along with the auto shut-off after a min one :rage:…Then another was working well but I may have dropped it or something because it started getting off a tad. Just got a DigiWeigh and it came with a calibration weight. It seemed to change a bit if I moved my beaker around on it and I didnt like that too much about it but I am still gonna work a bit more with it to see how it goes. If It doesnt work at least I can calibrate my other one now. Do you use the tray and tare it first or sit it on the platform directly? Also what order do you add the ingredients in(nic,base,flavs)? I was thinking it might be easier to catch back up from a mistake if you dont have to factor in base and nic weight by adding flavors first…Just annoying when trying to perfect a recipe and then the measurements get off even a hair and I know its not gonna be exact it just eats at me lol…maybe I’M the issue!!:innocent:

I use the little plastic tray when I’m mixing, I have occasionally missed a drop when adding to the bottle (some vendors use very hard bottles that struggle to get a drop out of). and the drop would land on the tray and not the actual platform for the scale. The tray is also a good safety measure if for some reason the bottle tips over (it won’t go all over the place).
I put in nic, then flavor, then pg, then vg when I mix, I either asked or answered the same question awhile back lol. I think (but I’m old and can’t recall) most of the people that had responded put the nic in last… sometimes they said they did it to mix the bases in first and to use heat prior to adding the nic which may degrade the nic, or maybe I was just reading into that part.

EDIT: I found the original post… I didn’t ask but was one of the respondents:
Here is the posting…

Anyone know what PGA-Pure Grain Alcohol weighs?

Wow that etekcity goes all the way to 2000g AND does hundredths…if I still have problems gonna order one, theyre only $14 on walmart site…thanks!

It’s worked for me so far. I don’t use the tray when I mix. I feel like it just gets in the way. Also, it has an auto shutoff but you can disable it if you hold down the tare button and change the number that comes up to 0. The backlight will go off but the scale won’t.

About 0.787 g/ml (spec. grav of ethyl alcohol).

1 Like

Thanks @JoJo

I have had this issue with some ‘stuff’ other than drops on scales in the past… I would note the weight, add x amount, then if it didn’t change, rather than remove the ‘stuff’ I would simply tap the scale lightly enough with my finger to force a change and see where it settles back to, that has always worked for me in the past, so hopefully it would work here too…

2 Likes

I used to tap mine too but I think that might be what was throwing it off. Blowing on it was a great trick IDK why I never thought of it… thanks @JoJo

1 Like

I have a plug in scale and I’m guessing that’s why it never turns off? LB Weigh Scale on Amazon

1 Like

The AWS LB-501 Under $23 on Amazon [also Prime free 2 day shipping]
Uses 4 AA batteries [included] and shuts off [auto-off] after 2 minutes
Uses a/c adapter [included] and never shuts off
Also comes with a bowl and (2) 200g calibration weights
500g maximum [500 x 0.01g]
5.5"w x 7"d footprint (closed) 5.5"w x 8"d -14"d (open-fully open)
Independent on/off light switch
Simple/easy/fast calibration check
7 months of regular use, no problems. Still as accurate as some of my expensive powder scales

yep it’s a great scale :slight_smile:

1 Like

Be careful NOT to order the Etekcity 2000g scale it is .01oz not .01g…The two look exactly alike and just about the same price so someone could easily get them mixed up and I looked at the wrong one when I posted before :sweat_smile: I believe the .01g Etekcity scales only go up to 500g. I have always liked quality of AWS brand though never seen a plug in one, may have to check that LB-501 out :thumbsup:

Correct, it says “500g x 0.01g” on the back.

I dont understand why my luck with scales is so bad…I got my etekcity and put the 100g calibration weight on it to check it and it says 100.10g …Etekcity said they would send out another but man does it suck knowing my mixes are off a hair IDK why it bothers me sooooo much but it does and now I dont even wanna use it lol. I thought maybe the calibration weight was off but thats its only purpose in life…If it fails at calibrating properly than why even make the weight. Only sucky part is the etekcity scale requires a 500g weight to calibrate it…go figure!

I figured since im not planning on buying any more scales, I mine as well just get the calibration weight for it…