My very 1st coil!

Youā€™re welcome chicky. Perming cotton? Iā€™ve never seen this. I wonder if itā€™s the sameā€¦

1 Like

It comes in a long string like that and I a big box. Its really soft too.

1 Like

Hmmmmā€¦Iā€™m going to ask my cousin if she can find me this cotton! She is a beautician as well and works in Philadelphia. Iā€™m do for a hair cut anyway. Thanks Jazzy. :grinning:

2 Likes

@Jazzy_girl I think you are talking about ā€¦

https://www.amazon.com/Graham-Cellucotton-Beauty-Rayon-Fibers/dp/B00PBGJT5A

Iā€™ve been reading up on it, and have had a lot of people tell me itā€™s BETTER than cotton. Doesnā€™t burn, or gunk up as easily, and wicks very good. The one thing I DO KNOW, is that unlike cotton that swells when it gets juiced, Rayon shrinks just a little bit, SO, Iā€™ve been told, all you have to do is make it TIGHTER in your coils, than you would cotton. Beyond that, most Cellucotton users Iā€™ve talked to, said they wonā€™t go back to cotton. I have a box, just havenā€™t tried it yet.

3 Likes

Itā€™s all I use now :thumbsup:

5 Likes

Maybe you can elaborate a little. Iā€™ve not tried it yet, but whatā€™s your take on the differences ?

1 Like

Itā€™s tasteless and wicks well with no break in time :thumbsup:

4 Likes

Amazon here i come!!!

2 Likes

Yes, thats exactly what I was talking about! Cant beat the price either. I just bought a box to try it out.
I know when I used to do hair. I used it to soak up perm solution around the hairline and it really held ALOT of volume and didnā€™t leak, drip, swell or fall apart at all.

2 Likes

I suspect new wicking materials may become the next area of development for our hobby.

I had thought cotton wicks did not really impart any flavour to vaping, boy was I wrong, I only realised this after trying a tank wicked with silica in my local vape shop.

The stuff wicks juice like crazy, so if you like to chain vape there is much less chance of a dry hit, further should the wick go dry while vaping you wont get that nasty burnt cotton taste. Silica wicks last an age too, the stuff is near indestructible and unlike cotton will not burn during normal use, it has a burn temp of 1600 C. When it gets dirty it can be removed washed off under running water and replaced in the coil for continued use. I personally dry burn once its back in the coil to drive off any excess water after rinsing it off; there is no danger of damaging the wick doing this.

Although some additional care is needed when using silica wicks, they are perfectly safe when purchasing a reputable brand sold for the express purpose of use as a wick. The cheap knock off stuff from China can carry lose fibres and small particles of silica, not stuff you want to be inhaling.

While I use a top brand here in the UK called voodoowool, I still take time to soak the entire wick before use, then run a cloth along the surface to ensure there are no loose fibres, before I cut a piece off with a pair of sharp scissors ensuring a clean cut with no fraying. Then its simply a case of passing through your coil as normal and tucking it into place in your tank.

3 Likes

:grinning: Below may be an old thread, but thereā€™s a bunch of good info in it:

4 Likes

Slight derailā€¦

The wheel spins round and we have once again come full circle. When I first started vaping, everyone was pulling the silica out of their clearomizers/cartos/carts and replacing it with cotton because it was ā€œSo much better and safer.ā€ LoL

I was looking up PWM information and came across a topic on another forum from 2012 that was someone (no idea who) talking about how his mod had PWM and he didnā€™t know it, how much he hated it and wished companies could make VV that was steady, and how he would never buy another mod with PWM. Now everyone who has tried one is talking about how much we love the PWM mods @Whiterose0818 makes, me included, and I just have to laugh.

4 Likes
8 Likes

So true. I havenā€™t used silica since clearomizer days, but I was able to reuse those several times after soaking in water.

I just got my new hemp in and put a picture of it with my older hemp on top. It looks promising.

3 Likes

Typically what is used in salonā€™s is rayonā€¦it is long and ā€œstrandyā€ i.e. Sallyā€™s cellucotton. It makes the best (IMO) wick available and is cheaper than all the branded cottons.

1 Like

They sure do beat the hell out of prebuilt coils

1 Like

Once I tried this versus muji and ko gen do there was no comparison, it lasts longer, yields better nicotine delivery, exceptional flavor, less residueā€¦etc etcā€¦some are worried that it is processed and not ā€œnaturalā€ but it is fabricated from naturally occurring woodā€¦it is also used by pharma as packing for pills and vitamin supplements. I have been using ā€œSallyā€™sā€ for about 18 months now and only rarely use cottonā€¦only downside is there is a learning curve to wicking it, you want it tight in the coil (it shrinks as opposed to cotton swelling when wet), and you want to thin out the tails so they are a little less dense for best capillary action. BTW ā€¦a $20 or so investment and you will have wick for life.

2 Likes

Just thought i would mention this since you got some sort off issues with your hands.

There are a multitude of pre-coiled coils available. https://www.fasttech.com/search?pre%20coiled
I donā€™t have any issues like that (knock on wood), iā€™m just lazy but i do use pre-coiled 316 28ga to 0.6 ohm for my ego one and 28ga kanthal at 0.95 ohm for my wife at about 3 dollars for a box of 100 pcs i canā€™t be arsed to wind them myself

3 Likes

Thank you for this site! Its definitely helpful :+1:

1 Like

I agree! nice, the flavor is good!

1 Like