N.E.T Creations and Reviews (Naturally Extracted Tobaccos or Teas)

The pictures didn’t even register in my brain. I’ve become an expert in blocking out ads and stuff :laughing:

1 Like

I have high hopes for your PS tobacco buys! :sunglasses:

Even though my mix on the PS 24 Nougat is only 24 hours old… the casing flavors on this tobacco, vanilla and chocolate, really shine through! :grinning: Other tobaccos I’ve tried with top coats [i.e. C&D Bob Bushman (coconut) and Sutliff Sunset Rum (rum)] didn’t result in favorable outcomes… they will need to be enhanced with synth flavors. It’s not the end of the world, but I was hoping for more out the tobacco than I got. :smirk:

1 Like

It’s going to be a long wait :drooling_face:

1 Like

Welcome aboard @50YearsOfCigars! :sunglasses: You are in for a nice surprise.

I started out (2014) mixing with synthetic flavors, not knowing there WAS such a thing as naturally extracted tobacco liquid. After much research and hundreds of dollars worth of synth concentrates in my flavor stash… I found out about NET. :grinning:

Since the fall of 2016, I’ve been DIY NET 100% and will never go back to synth concentrates ever again. In short… there is NO synth tobacco concentrate which properly mimics real tobacco… end of story. :smirk:

With a stash of cigars like you have… you’ll be in vape heaven for the rest of your life! :sunglasses:

4 Likes

I don’t get the dessert vapers either – I’m big on florals myself tho and almost nobody seems to get me-- but as I’m cutting out my cigs and pipe – I’m gonna get some NET started myself this weekend. And Earl Grey tea. . .cause I mean. … c’mon. Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

3 Likes

Welcome aboard the NET adventure, I promise you won’t be sorry :+1:

1 Like

I can’t believe I have not heard of this. I love my coffee and I have a little Italian espresso maker, but I am getting two of these.
one for my coffee and one for my NETS. Of course that is when I start doing NETS. Looks like I got a lot to learn.
I can’t wait to try some

1 Like

ok I gotta ask

What is PGA?

Pure Grain Alcohol
Unknown

2 Likes

I finally have some time off coming up next week! :wink: Hopefully, I can get a couple of jars (well overdue for going to the filter stage) on the line for processing.

I’m pretty excited for a couple of them to hit the base liquid.

I put these in the crock and steep closet at the end of January… so, I figure 6 months is an optimum time to free them from the captivity of steeping. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Dan_the_Man9m Kinnikinnick
ok I gotta ask

What is PGA?

Well this is a little “vape-speak”… as a professional chemist, I saw that abbreviation when I first started to read about vaping in these forums and also thought WTFIT?? . I assume they mean Pure Grain Alcohol, which is actually Ethyl Alcohol made from fermentation and then distilled.

The problem, in my estimation, and the reason I never bothered to try it for vape NET extraction is two fold. One is that it is hygroscopic and can not be prevented from drawing water from the air, resulting in about 5% by weight of water in your final mix. Second the lab techniques for removing the water and alcohol ,from the flavor components are very involved (and expensive! if done right!) and not worth the trouble

I see further claims that the extractions can me mixed with PG and then the alcohol evp off, but I will save the problems of all that for another post. It becomes a sort of sploppy and imprecise fractional separation of the flavor components at that point and there is a whole host of issues with that (will save for a specific post on that if I get the time…)

But it is all good kitchen chemistry and many people have excellent luck with it, so please do try it and report back your results.

Have Fun ! NETs are the only way to go !

3 Likes

Let me know how those come out.

1 Like

@Kinnikinnick right on bro, I must say, after reading some of this thread, I am really looking forward to it. I am not that far into it though. I can’t wait to figure this out and make some of my own. I think it will take longer than expected, unfortunately.
thanks again

@50YearsOfCigars I would try it, if I knew what IT was. :sunglasses:
Actually, if I knew HOW I would. So when I do figure it all out, I will for sure report back, I will need to know what I am doing wrong. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I will say, the process of a PGA extraction is a bit more time consuming, however, the tobacco flavor one deriives from this type maceration is stunning… a much brighter, cleaner, and clear flavor. :grinning:

I’m a lazy butt… :smirk: and do mostly PG macerations. If I were more of a purist, I would perform more PGA macerations for the excellent flavor and clean factor alone… alas… most of the time, I take the easy road.

These days, I typically do it the other way around… evaporate the PGA maceration down to 25% of the original solvent amount used, bottle it and add it to my base mix as needed.

I really need to update the thread below, due to the fact that I have chosen to perform a heat assisted start (100 degree) to most all my PGA macerations. However, I do still perform a 4X freeze thaw process on the tobacco prior to the heat assist.

1 Like

Meh… when I started out, a month worth of steep time on most PG macerations turned out fairly well. Now that I have an extreme stock of finished NETs, I’ve allowed most of my macerations to sit for 6 months or more.

The trick is to start one or three tobacco macerations per month. :sunglasses: Before you know it, you’re ready to filter a batch!

3 Likes

I know what happens when people assume, but I will have to assume that the process of PG maceration is somewhere in this thread?

1 Like

Hi there Kinnikinnick, !

Since we are on this topic let me ask you something: Do the PGA extractions show less of a coil clogging issue vrs PG extractions? I am very new to NETs by comparison to your extensive multi-year experience base. I am having EXCELLENT results so far using my Jose Marti Nicaraguan Cigars from my humidor with PG extractions, but I only make it through one (4ml) tank on my Kayfuns before i must burn off and clean the coil.

3 Likes

Yeah… but…:wink:

Here’s a bullet point version of how perform PG macerations:

• 1 oz of tobacco in a jar with 150ml of PG or until you top the tobacco with PG.

• Warm jar for 6 to 8 hours at no more than 150 degrees.

• Place jar in cool dark closet for at least 30 days (longer is better for cigar leaf).

• Strain through coffee filters at least 3 times; 2.5 micron scientific filters are best for final filter.

• Mix at roughly 15% ratio with base mixture

• Enjoy!

5 Likes

Cool, thanks
Now all I have to do is get the stuff.

So all I have to do is go get an Ashton or Pedron or Macanudo etc. Then… What? cut it open? chop it up? unwrap it?

1 Like

Yup… it has to do with the freezer winterization process; plant waxes, chlorophyll, and other plant matter precipitate to the bottom of the jar when the PGA is put in the freezer for 24/36 hours (or longer). Then, you siphon off the clear PGA extract and leave behind the muck… very important part of the process if you want a super clean extraction.

Yup… that’s about right, with PG extractions. Rewicking and a coil burn every morning or evening is standard procedure for me… just goes with the NET territory.

3 Likes