N.E.T Creations and Reviews (Naturally Extracted Tobaccos or Teas)

:rofl: What good citizens they are thinking about the environment like that, if you forget about the killing of 1000’s of people with their product then they are super caring - assholes.

3 Likes

Thank you for the PDFs. I have to study them.
I know about the hazards of burning tobacco. I also know that nicotine is not the problem, it´s as harmful as coffein, if you don´t overdose. No cancer from nicotine. Adiction depend on, usage. Slow brain hit, fast brain hit.

Natural tabacco leafs using for NETs i understand. Cigarettes using for NETs, never thougt about. But using a pipe tobacco? They aren´t pure tobacco, or? I think there is a lot of stuff in there to flavor it. Different sugars, honey, salt for example. That explained the gunk. I´m not familiar with pipe tobaccos, that´s why i ask. I´m not familiar with NETs at all… My first mercantation waiting in my basement for filtering…

Regards
Weedhunter

1 Like

Evening (island time) and i am in for some NET :smiley:
Thanks for all the good info here.

Hope you dont mind a beginners Q?
Rule of thumb is given by One Ounce Tobacco and 150 ml liquid.
Using those amounts my first try looks much to dry,
tobacco is not covered with liquid.
Added some more PG but still it looks like

IMG_0295

looking too dry for me.
Any advice please?

Some info i found on the net :sunglasses:

from a good read here.

CU

1 Like

I never really use any measurements but just put in enough PG to cover the tobacco completely.
Then again, I’m a lazy mixer, other people might be more precise.

2 Likes

Looks good to me !!! Just right I would say. But here in while the expert @Kinnikinnick will drop by and give you his advice.

If you scroll back up you will see his picture of a maceration that he posted previously here in this thread:

2 Likes

Welcome to the NET world! :grinning: It’s a pleasurable place, if you are looking for true tobacco flavor in your vape.

Much of what is in this thread could be rated as “rule of thumb” information. However, to answer your question: Some tobaccos are dry and fluffy… some are moist and dense; this depends on how much the tobacco has been treated/cased by the manufacturer. The tobacco you have chosen to macerate probably lies in the dry and fluffy category. You can either add more solvent to completely cover the tobacco OR just tamp the tobacco down into the 150ml of solvent.

For the record, dry/fluffy tobacco is going to suck up about 15 to 20% of the solvent during the soak/steep process. You’ll be hard pressed to reclaim that loss of solvent from the tobacco… it’s just a natural part of the process. This is nothing to get too bent over, ‘cause it will take you a long time to work your way through 120ml of NET extract… enough to make roughly 750ml of finished juice. :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Thanks for the advice, added a little more solvent.

I am testing

• Turkish black tea VG
  • Turkish black tea PG
  • Yerba Mate VG
  • Orient Tabacco PG
  • Kentucky Tobacco PG

and will report here how it works for me.

Edit:What are the glass sizes (volume) you use for 1ounce tobacco?

2 Likes

1/2 pint / 8oz / 250ml
(terminology for the masses)
Typically this is just enough room for 150ml of solvent and the tobacco. :grinning:

You don’t have to get anything fancy… any old glass jar with a firm sealing lid.

I usually sterilize the jar and lid prior to the maceration process. Most of my tobaccos cool steep for upwards to 6 months now days, so I don’t want anything but the tobacco and solvent in that jar. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

5 Likes

Just a side note: That 6 month steep time for tobacco (or whatever) is not a requirement by any stretch of the imagination. :smirk:

When I first started out performing NET macerations, about 30 days was my goal. Most extractions tasted pretty good and were plenty potent enough for my wants and needs. The more extractions I stockpiled on the shelf, the longer I allowed future macerations to cool steep… I wasn’t in such a rush for finished product after my first few macerations, so they sat on the steep shelf for a much longer period. :wink: Your mileage may vary on steep times… I know mine has.

6 Likes

Just finished filtering some Pipe and Cigar Toasted Cavendish, very dark even filtered with a 2-3 micron filter in a Buchner funnel, but let me say I diluted a little at 1:3 net to PG and tested it. Tasted like I lit up a pipe full of that sweet dark rich Cavendish I remember from years ago. This Net was started as a hot/cold straight pg extraction in October of 2017. Now to finish filtering the 2 other extraction from Pipe and Cigar and 2 from Whole Leaf all started at the same time. Thanks for starting this going here on ELR @Kinnikinnick

2 Likes

Glad you had success! :sunglasses: I have found, with every extraction, you learn a little something new about the process.

One of the things which I have learned over time… no matter what process one uses to perform a NET extraction, the tobacco used in the process can make or break the extraction. I have had wildly varying outcomes with varying tobaccos, using the same maceration technique. I’ve steeped some tobaccos for only 1 month that are truly stellar extractions; some of my ultimate favorite extraction. Other tobaccos I’ve steeped for 6 months to a year turned out to be total shit; poured them down the drain. So, when it comes down to making a great NET extraction, the tobacco is the cornerstone to a great outcome. :wink:

2 Likes

I am sure different sources or even the same source different order will produce variations to a degree. We are using natural products. I ordered from Leaf Only and Pipe and Cigar after reading here. I am pleased with both and will venture around a bit I am sure. I will say every tobacco in this batch (6 total with about 400ml of extract produced) all turned out good (lucky I guess) some better than others but none bad. I think now learning to adjust percentages in mixes will be my next challenge. Thanks again for sharing your knowledge, it is greatly appreciated.

2 Likes

Hi, a newbie here, really interested in doing my own flavours and NETs. Was wondering if it is safe to vape. There are issues about fats, lipid, oil what not. I know its safe to ingest but vaping is it bad? would help a lot of us. Thanks. I will give Green tea a try and Darjeeling Black Leaf Tea, also got some Vietnam Vanilla Coffee :slight_smile: tHXagain

Hi All
Rooibos is native to my country, I have high quality if any would like let me know.
Happy Vape

1 Like

Hello Kinnikinnick:
You seem to be the authority here. Can you answer a few questions for me as I wish to do a cold extraction. I quit smoking and use Black Note exclusively, but getting a bit expensive. I have lots of pipe tobaccos and cigars to experiment with.
I like the 50/50 PG/VG. So when I saturated my dry tobacco should I use only PG and add the VG after the straining process? I read it is easier to strain.
Once I have the extraction that is just considered the flavor if I understand correctly. Then I would flavor additional PG/VG with that? Can you give me an idea on a ratio.
Also I see that people say not much nicotine leeches out, should I test for nicotine and then add?
I only use .03 mg, basically the lowest.

Thanks so much, Jack

2 Likes

Yes… a plain old PG maceration is the easiest way to begin your journey into making NET. First time NETers are usually a bit impatient… I was certainly in that group. So, it would be my suggestion for you to gently warm the maceration (low heat ~ 125 to 150 degrees) for roughly 6 to 8 hours, prior to the cold steep process. This will help boost the process a bit. Within about 30 days, you’ll be ready to filter.

Most of my extractions mix at 15%; this is a good start point. Once you vape about 5 to 10 ml of a “test batch”, you’ll have a better idea of the desired percentage in your mix.

Our kitchen chemistry can’t extract nicotine from tobacco. So, when you are mixing your NET liquid, add nicotine just as you would for any other recipe you’ve made in the past.

5 Likes

Thanks you so much for taking the time to help a new extractor.

Really appreciate it,

Jack

1 Like

Yes, premade NET can be quite a dig in your wallet. I spent a bunch of money on it myself before I realized how inexpensive it was to create my own NET liquids.

It’s good you have a cellared supply of tobacco. At least you know what your tastebuds might like in a NET version. I lean more towards pipe tobacco blends myself; the combination of different tobaccos in an extraction is more enjoyable to me, rather than a singular/whole leaf type extraction.

2 Likes

Yes I think the oriental / Turkish blends will bring out a nice flavor. I was never a big smoker of those English type blends but I do really enjoy the Quartet by Black Note which is based on those.

1 Like

Over the years, I have found that I sway from profile to profile as my tastebud moods swing. For weeks, the smokey Latakia rules… then, a sweet Virgina/Perique mix will roll in for a spell… but then, I always seem to come back to a nice heady Burley for that wonderful throat hit and deep tobacco satisfaction. I just love the flavor of tobacco, period! … particularly the “non-aromatic” pipe tobaccos blends. Those are the ones which offer a true, unadulterated tobacco flavor in a NET vape.

2 Likes