Need ideas for the main ingredient in a Xmas pud (pudding) recipe

Want to have yet another go at a xmas pud recipe this year, from scratch. Not a ready mixed concentrate

I am thinking of using the following concentrates

Brandy
Couple of drops of Almond and Bahrani Apple or maybe cherry.
Cinnamon
Blood Orange (I had a xmas pud with a whole crystalised orange in it last year and it really works well in a real xmas pud)
A little bit of citric acid if the orange doesn’t work
Maybe a small addition of custard and dairy milk flavour or fresh cream addition to the final mix (but will add that later).

I have always struggled on the fruit (raisin sultana) flavour of the mix. I have tried TPA Raisin with no luck. Anyone else any ideas for a concentrate that replicates that flavour?

3 Likes

I’ve heard of people using FA’s Fig Fresh instead of raisin. It pairs well with citrus flavours, cinnamon and nuts.
Can’t be of any use to you when it comes to pudding vapes but I’m sure someone else will.
The other side of the pond is not active yet :grinning:

4 Likes

I’ve never had Christmas Pudding so I am not sure if it will work but Real Flavors Bread Pudding might be a good base to work from. It has most of the elements already including a pretty strong Raisin flavor.

6 Likes

Some rum or brandy type flavor?

3 Likes

For me, LB Bakers Touch tasted like hot cross bun/raisins. Will happily send you some if you want to pm you address petal :grin:

3 Likes

Just got FLV vanilla pudding, it tastes pretty good so far. Would definitely work for a base.

3 Likes

I think some of these would be good for a pudding base… Flv vanilla pudding, inawera custard, flv custard, sweet cream flv, cream fresh fa or cream flv. Oh yea and creme brulee inawera. Stay away from flv brulee it does not compare to inawera at all.

As far as raisin goes I think flv raisin rum is really authentic. It’s full of rum and the raisin is definitely there as well! Tfa raisin isn’t so good. I also think flv sweet fig would also work. It has that fig Newton type raisin flavor and thickness.

2 Likes

Have been a bit confused with some of the replies. But a bit of googling has made me realise what I know as a xmas pudding here in the UK is not something many people outside the UK actually know or have ever tried. So pardon my ignorance and assumption it was part of a worldwide traditional xmas meal after the Turkey…

Anyway thanks for all the replies, for reference this is what I meant and a recipe for the real thing

Recipe

As you can see no vanilla or egg pudiing base it is a moist sweet fruit pudding with lashings of alcohol and covered in cream or a dollop of Brandy butter and usually steamed after maturing and most people eat ti hot but can be eaten cold.

4 Likes

Wow! OK I get it now. Yes its very different from a US kind of pudding. This almost reminds me of a fruit cake or apple sauce cake.

This was a really good cooked apple flavor that might work in this recipe. I just recently tried it and it was pretty good.

https://www.chefsflavours.co.uk/solubarome/4330-tarte-tatin.html

1 Like

After reading the recipes and descriptions of Christmas Pudding I still think that my suggestion of RF Bread Pudding is valid as a base flavor. (I actually looked it up before I posted it) :wink:

3 Likes

I was thinking of a plum pudding maybe ?

1 Like

I remembered this morning, I have a test sample of Inawera’s Panettone, that never made it to market. Looking at my notes for it, if I can hide or tone down with the other ingredients, the bready notes, it could solve my raisin, sultana and orange problem. May have a look at the Solubarome and FA versions also.

I can see the Bread Pudding concentrate working as well maybe @louisesquared, but will give the panettone a go first.

1 Like

@bluenose63 just say No to Cherry …maybe a little Ginger? or Holiday Spice at under 1%? This sounds good …looking forward to a shared final recipe

FLV Raisin Rum has more of the raisin the rum, not great but a million times better than the tfa raisin anyway

1 Like

Cranberry (FA) @ 4-5% adds very “fruit cake” kind of twang.

1 Like