Nut Allergies and Nut Based Flavours

Is it safe to vape nut based flavours around somebody with a nut allergy.

Really liking peanut butter flavours at the moment, have a family member (don’t live with them) who has a bad nut allergy. Does anyone know if they use peanut essence in these mixes or are just an artificial nut flavouring?

Never given it much thought with vaping. Always check food packaging before making meals for her. Don’t want to get it wrong if I am vaping around her though…

1 Like

Having been around reactions to peanut allergies before, I’ll just ask one question.

Do you like your relative? If you do, why even risk it? Peanut allergies are nothing to play around with. There’s a million other flavors to choose from. If they’re around just pick a different one. Most flavorings are either natural essence or a blend of natural and artificial.

3 Likes

I have wondered that myself. but the (possibly misguided) conclusion I came to was that it would prob be ok …because I figured people (myself included) prob Vape nutty juices in public all the time. I would’ve thought the chances of a nutty vaper & an allergy suffer being in or close to the same space at the same time to be quite probable & I haven’t heard of anyone going into anaphylactic shock in the presence of a vaper. Wouldn’t the media just love to get a hold of that!!
Having said that, I think @Big_Benny_MI 's advice is good. And I’d say “if in doubt, don’t”

3 Likes

It probably wouldn’t be a problem, but you really don’t know for sure. It probably depends on how severe their allergy is, but I wouldn’t risk it. Definitely better safe than sorry in that kind of situation.

1 Like

Hmmm this has me thinking about other allergies now…

Any way to find out??

I vaped with 50% PG and found out I am 100% irritated by PG. If I vape only VG, I’m fine. I don’t know if that is an “allergy” but it sure feels like an allergic reaction to me.

1 Like

Yeah I’ve heard of that one, PG seems to be a little bit of an irritant, throat hit anyone??

1 Like

You should check with the various flavor manufacturers. Capella is one I KNOW states they use no corn or peanut products in their flavoring.

2 Likes

Flavorings are typically chemicals that mimic flavors and don’t usually contain actual ingredients, but like @Alisa and @Big_Benny_MI said, check the manufacturers and better to be safe than sorry. :wink: I don’t have any enemies with peanut allergies so I can’t test it for ya. :smiling_imp:

2 Likes

Nut Allergies and Nut Based Flavours

I just looked for you and found Peanut Butter (Flavor West) and Peanut Butter Cup (Flavor West) contain actual peanut essence, so I would stay away from those two, although those were the only two listed with a clear warning that they contain peanut. I would contact the manufacturer of the concentrate you are using to ask if it contains actual peanut. In the case of TPA, they have an ingredient list for their flavorings so you can pull it up to check if you are using TPA.

3 Likes

Just now noticed this is an older post, whoops. I will add this anyway though. Seems TPA only relies on Pyrazines for the flavor (I didn’t check DX version) so I pulled this from a peanut allergy site for you:

Peanut exposure

The odor of peanuts is due to an organic volatile compound called pyrazine, which contains no peanut proteins and, therefore, does not cause allergic reactions.

4 Likes