OBS Engine RTA, all aboard!

What’s up vapers!
SirRisc here with another gear review!

This OBS Engine RTA was sourced from Heavengifts!

Premise.

Oh, it’s been a long time since I’ve reviewed an OBS product!
The last one I laid my hands on was the original Crius, which was a very well built RTA that was quickly outdated by another iteration.
Regardless I used the Crius for quite some time and I enjoyed it very much.

but a lot of time has passed since the Crius and OBS hasn’t been sitting still.
The OBS Engine is their newest RTA and it does things differently than the Crius, but it does have a few similarities as well.

Let’s have a closer look!

OBS Engine RTA

Specifications.

• 304 stainless steel and quartz glass
  • 25mm diameter
  • 5.2ml capacity
  • Adjustable airflow
  • Side filling mechanism
  • 17mm diameter build deck
  • Available in black or stainless steel (silver)

Packaging.

Performance.

It’s been a long time since I’ve had an OBS product in my hands, the last one being the original iteration of the Crius RTA.
The Crius had a few things it did differently from other RTAs and that seems to have carried over to the Engine RTA.
The typical sidefilling mechanism of the Crius is also found on the Engine, and the tank can be easily and quickly filled by pulling up the sleeve and just squirting juice in the hole in the side.
However if you try to fill it too fast, the juice will pool up at the hole and start pushing out, which can get messy really quick.

The Engine boasts a 17mm diameter build deck in Velocity style, meaning it has two holes on both posts with screws on the side.
The deck isn’t terribly big for such a bulky tank but it is more than sufficient for some more exotic builds like fused claptons or staggertons.
Wicking is as easy as pulling your wicks through the coils and resting it just on top of the juicechannels, which are fairly large and immediately give away that this isn’t an RTA made for MTL vaping.
Plugging the holes with the wick can cause mildly burnt hits, as a result of not being able to wick fast enough.

On top of the tank is the POM driptip in a conical shape. It’s a very comfortable driptip with regular 510 measurements, and can be replaced by your own driptip of choice.
Replacing it will make the driptip look out of place though, because OBS opted to give the tank a flat top the exact size of their own driptip.
This means that if your driptip isn’t as wide, it will have a rather unfinished looking flat ridge underneath.

Just under the driptip is the airflow, and this one is a bit special. It’s a top airflow tank, or it seems to be that way but it isn’t.
Allow me to explain… the airflow ring on top isn’t top airflow, it’s just the entrypoint of the airflow.
The actual airflow is a circulatory system that pulls air from the top of the tank into two channels that reside in the chimney.
This in turn pulls air from below the coils, directing upwards. All of this means this is a great tank for flavorchasing.

Putting the tank together is where things get a bit less positive.
The threading is very thin and can be a little too hard to line up at times, especially on the bottom part where the deck sits.
The chimney fits onto the deck in a certain way to line up the airflow, and OBS decided it was a good idea to have two tiny notches on the chimney to line up with two notches on the deck.
This would work fine if the threading was a bit less fragile and actually threaded better. A bit of juice/lubing does help but makes it a bit of a mess putting things together.

A very big positive point of the Engine RTA is the capacity, with 5.2ml it’s one of the bigger tanks on the market.
Despite its capacity it doesn’t look like a big tank though, it only measures 53mm with the driptip included (510 not included).
Of course this is partially because of the 25mm diameter and the fact that the airflow resides in the chimney.
Even if you’re putting large (or thirsty) builds in the Engine RTA, those 5.2ml won’t just disappear in a few drags.
That also makes the Engine RTA an excellent companion when you’re out, it will last a while and will save you from having to refill every few sessions.

Aesthetics.

Pros and Cons.

Pro.

• Excellent flavor
  • Large capacity
  • Easy to build on
  • Very forgiving in wicking
  • Doesn’t leak
  • Looks smaller than it actually is

Con.

• Notches on the deck/chimney are a bit too thin
  • Bottom threading is fragile and hard to get lined up
  • POM driptip is fine, 510 driptip looks out of place
  • Sidefilling is awesome but floods if you fill it too fast

In conclusion.

The OBS Engine RTA is an awesome RTA, and reminds me of the Crius in some regards.
OBS has definitely made it a priority to have excellent flavor from their tanks, the Engine does very well in that regard without shunning cloudchasers.
Overall performance of this RTA is excellent, as well as the look of it. The 5.2ml capacity doesn’t mean this tank is a big and bulky one, it looks a fair bit smaller than it actually is.
Would I buy another one if this one broke? Yes, because the Engine RTA is probably one of the few I can safely put in my pocket without having to worry about it leaking.
And did I mention it has excellent flavor? It does.

In closing I would like to thank Heavengifts for sending out the OBS Engine RTA!
Thanks for reading, join me next time as I take a look at the Innokin Axiom and UCan 2!

Need to reach me? Head over to my website.
Interested in what I vape daily? Check out my Instagram.
Want to know more about DIY? Head over to ELR.

#staycloudy !

SirRisc disappears in a cloud of Melonade scented vapor

DISCLAIMER: This review is based on personal opinions and is not intended as a promotion, endorsement or advertisement.
The publisher is not sponsored, affiliated or compensated in any way.

10 Likes

Fantastic Review again and my go to tank atm…

2 Likes

Cheers, it’s one of the better RTAs I’ve had in a while. Especially the non-leaking part is a breath of fresh air (or vapor).

That overhang is making my OCD go berserk though. :astonished:

2 Likes

Everyone ive seen review this tank has mentioned the notches but never mention why they are there…

They line up your top airflow holes over your coils :wink:

Your the only one who actually noticed i think…

1 Like

I did mention it, though worded differently. :wink:

2 Likes

Yeah, I edited my post… Other reviewers just seemed mythed about it… :confused:

2 Likes

To be honest it doesn’t surprise me, I’ve seen plenty of people push out their reviews after using a piece of gear for two days and thinking they have everything covered.
Personally I don’t give even half a crap whether or not my review is the first one. I value quality and correct info over views or likes.
That said, the way the airflow works on this tank is one of its main features so I felt it was necessary to mention in the review. The notches could’ve been made a bit better though, they’re annoying as hell to line up sometimes.

4 Likes

Yeah you can tell you really take your time with your reviews, very good quality, love the photography as well, I’ve never had an issue with the notches, thing just slips together perfectly and “NO LEAKING” is just awesome, my Griffin 25 has liquid leak out from behind the airflow control ring all the time… .

2 Likes

Thanks for the excellent review. I just bought this tank today, before I seen this, looks like a made a good choice for once.

4 Likes

I love this tank, I have 2 and am buying more.

4 Likes

This has been on my short list for some time

3 Likes

Re-activating this thread. GREAT review @SirRisc. Love my Steam Crave RDTA Supreme, but it can leak when it feels like it. Been dealing with it because the flavor it just that good. Today, leaked a little, and forced me to go into one of the BEST Vape Shops in NJ Vapor Depot

Picked up an OBS Engine in black, and will try and see if I can learn NEW wicking ways to keep this thing happy. Also found another (older) vid review to add to yours from Mike. He always seems to give honest feelings, and he suuuuuure loves it too.

2 Likes