One-Shots being added to the database?

Yep in ignore mode… I think if you are looking for them - or at them all day, they would bother you. But I never really see ne of these things I only see whats in my stash - once I start typing the name in.

1 Like

Going through the guides and the forums, people recommend others to make stones, explain how to do it. Not only just this, but there are whole forum sections dedicated to the creation of NETs. Mixers will want to make recipes with their creations and I don’t see any reason to complain about it. This is one of the things that makes ELR so good.

If there is a general consensus about proper flavor naming, i.e. the commercial flavors that people buy which is unambiguous and doesn’t allow duplicates in any form or manner, then it shouldn’t be difficult to spot the custom stones, one-shots etc from the commercial flavors. And I pray to god that my recipes won’t be turned into a rainbow of colors unless it is done as an opt-in.
Asking people to use proper naming conventions in these forums is simply not going to work. If you see how many mixers there are and compare it to the people on the forum, it’s quite clear that it won’t work unless it becomes more of a guided process when you have to enter a flavor, with nag screens, instructions, checks, are you sure’s, and double-checks.

I’ve said this before and I’ll keep repeating it, the biggest problem IMO is that it is way too easy to add a flavor to the database and that is the biggest problem that everybody has.
Even when you’re creating a new thread in the forum, you’re faced with nag screens to remind you of other posts that may be similar. We don’t have anything like that for flavors. If there was something like that, we wouldn’t have a fraction of the flavor issues in the DB we’re seeing today.

Putting up discriminatory rules like saying Wayne Walker can add his one-shots to the DB because he sells his stuff, but Paul from around the corner can’t because even though he makes better juices, he prefers to keep it as a hobby, is not something I’m in favor of.

3 Likes

That is the problem, if even daily users here have trouble finding it, how do you expect mixers that don’t even come to the forum will see it? Every time a user creates a flavor, they need to be confronted with a process. Put the burden of being correct on the people that want to create a flavor, not people who have to clean up their mess afterwards.

It’s not like people constantly need to creat flavors but it seems like people are constantly cleaning up a mess.

1 Like

With all due respect, this is what this website is designed for (making recipes). In my eyes, an ingredient/flavor should be allowed, so that we can make our recipes. Ignoring all the duplicate incorrect flavor manufacturers, it makes perfect sense to add a flavor in the database that is designed for making recipes. I make my own flavorings personally, to which I have added to the database so that I am able to use them in my recipes. “Strawberry - Darthvapor” I believe is the format of said ingredients. So there really is no difference when it comes to manufacturer flavorings, personal flavorings, stones, or whatever you want to call them.

Now if someone is abusing the site, just to flood the DB with BS, that’s another story…
But if you are using a personal ingredient to make a recipe that is NOT a manufacturer’s flavor, then hell yeah you should be able to add it!!

8 Likes

Garbage to who? How many get inspiration or find that one thing that’s missing scrolling through our stash?

2 Likes

Fair enough. Thank you for all the replies and your perspectives.
IGNORE MODE:Engaged

1 Like

I think you’ve missed my point. If you would like a different perspective I invite you to spend 30 minutes in the Duplicates Checker. Search the name ‘vanilla’ or the word ‘cream’. Then try doing matchie matchie with the manufacturer.

2 Likes

Quit being a meanie to Wil, he is a fellow Canadian, albeit a sensitive one :wink:

2 Likes

I’m pretty far from being a meanie (example please) but if that’s how it’s perceived then I apologize. I get quite passionate about the DB and have strived to help clean it. And I don’t know who Wil is.

2 Likes

Just a fellow I know from a Canadian DIY group, he thinks you’re trolling his recipes because he has one-shots as flavour entries in his recipe… He has since made the recipe private because most folks were telling him to change it, haha…

Nice guy, but overly sensitive I guess

1 Like

I don’t troll anyone. I prefer the term TARGET! JK…:smirk:
Seriously though, I do actively check recipes for possible corrections and try to coax them to change it if need be. Sounds like that happened to your overly-sensitive acquaintance.

As an after-thought…what was your response to him?

I actually pointed out in comments your reasoning behind, explained to him in short the proper syntax and gave a link to this thread just before he privatized. Hopefully it may land one fish from the recipe side into the actions being done on the forum side.