One Smok AL 8.5 w/Baby beast tank + one newb = mahem

Yes the wire in the premade coils ARE Kanthal… I picked up the RBA for my Baby for 13€ it’s a small build but not that bad. Twisted or straight wires nothing too fancy fit rather nice.

Usually when a mod jumps out of TC, it means that the mod is expecting to see the resistance change within a timeout period and this doesn’t happen.
It can be that your TCR settings are incorrect, not enough power is applied or your wire (e.g. kanthal) doesn’t support TC.

Actually, this is what I incorrectly assumed as well and it took me up to today to realize I was wrong. The beast coils are indeed all SS 304. So I can finally enjoy the last T8 coil that I have in my big beast in TC :smiley:
So far I’ve only used them in VW because I initially didn’t find the correct information and yeah, was so stupid I didn’t even try

Link source? Really curious. Good find if it’s true.

Yup after looking around a bit all the information I found suggest they are kanthal or ni - Thanks for the correction @Ninatoad and @Big_Benny_MI

@Jokerette this is why it is jumping out of tc my apologises for leading you down a garden path that ends in a cliff. So unless @Jake31 can show us the information on the ss 304 that tank with temp control is not an option.

2 Likes

I think the confusion is that the coil housing is made of 304 SS but the wire is Kanthal.

3 Likes

With stock coils. Imo, this is why the RBA exists.

1 Like

Oh no! And I should have known that :frowning: it’s why I purchased the thing in the first place.

It’s been so very sporadic in Temp mode - I dropped into Watt mode in desperation lol! So far, I’m at 38 (a little TOO weak) and sneaking my way up. One day when I get (A LOT) more knowledgeable, I’ll give the RBA a shot and try the TC for real!

So - on this dang watt mode - just click the watts up or down? And OMG I sucked an entire bloody tank!!! (normally not even 1/4 this much.) Perhaps because I’m rejerking the settings so much?

These tanks just blow through juice. Smallish capacity too. What tank you coming from?

1 Like

They are juice whores, everyone says that as far as i know. But as long as you DIY it doesn’t matter that much.

1 Like

@Big_Benny_MI, @woftam
Smok lists these coils as Kanthal and I’ve always been using them like this, i.e. power mode. Seeing that Jokerette was going on about TC on these coils, I’ve been browsing and saw quite a few references, so I tried it myself on a DNA250 and my RX2/3. Both operate fine in TC and I know that both mods jump out of TC on any kanthal wire. And it actually works well. Power gets cut off at temp and picks up a little later. There is a noticeable increase or decrease in temperature when I adjust the temp on my mod and it doesn’t seem to be too off from my own 316L coils. Between 304, 316 and 316L, there shouldn’t be a huge difference in tcr from what I understand (although I could be wrong with the 304, I’m no expert).

I quickly looked back for the links but thought it was better to contact Smok and see what they have to say instead of anyone else with another set of claims.

The difference between Jokerette and me is that I have the big beast and she has the baby beast though.
That being said, I cannot imagine that Smok puts a Ni or Ti coil in these things and label them as kanthal. It would be a bit of a blow to smok’s safety standards if that came out.

The moment I get the info from Smok, I’ll fill you guys in.

Cool. Please do. :+1:

Is this really true? Do you have a link to support this claim? Kanthal wire when oxidized would produce aluminum oxides whereas titanium would produce titanium oxides. Titanium oxides are more easily expelled by your body and are actually used as food whitener and anticaking agents…

Ok I dissected one of the t8 coils that ohms out at around .15 the wire measures .20 mm ish diameter (32 awg) and has parallel coils of 2.5mm i.d with 6 wraps the legs added together are about 18mm (approx). If it was ss304 each coil pair would ohm out at about .60 ohms so the 4 coil pairs should ohm, out at about .15. So i think at least the t8 coils may in fact be ss304 - they do work in tc on both the rx 2/3 and the alien 220 with the settings that I originally gave @Jokerette.

If Jokerette is using the Q2 *single big coil hole) that is almost certainly kanthal (however i do not have one here to take apart). so pending any information that smok may or may not be forthcoming with I would suggest that the t8 coil (the one with the 4 coil holes that is rated at .15 ohms) can probably be used in tc mode set up with a tcr of 0.00105

1 Like

You’re right, I don’t have a link but this is what I’ve been taught by Youtubers that I follow, as well as people in vapeshops that have given me similar information. It’s not something I just dream up.

I’ve got to thank you for this and this is why I like these forums, there’s always something interesting to learn. You made me look it up and the information I had is very questionable and the raised fears about these oxides all seem to originate from a single video that a vapeshop owner published a couple years ago and the (mis)information caught quite some momentum.

From the source that I do trust however, I found these 2 documents. The first says that there is very little to worry about inhaling metals through vaping. Yes, we all do it with whatever metal we use, but it is well within safety limits and not really of any concern:

After seeing this document, I didn’t even bother to look up stuff for Titanium because it’s basically a non-issue.

This second document is more about dry-burning coils and reading it still makes me want to avoid any unnecessary dry-burn (glowing of your coils):

Still, the last paragraph of this blog is important: “We will repeat our honest opinion that dry-burning the coils will not make vaping similar or worse than smoking. This is clear and there is no need for over-reactions. However, we should reach to a point that e-cigarettes should not just be compared to smoking (which is an extremely bad comparator) but should be evaluated on absolute terms. If something can be avoided, vapers should be aware of it so that they can avoid it if they want to.”

Heck, now my next vaping wire might well contain something different from kanthal or stainless :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am not certain either way. I just like to question the validity of claims anyone makes and see why they came to that conclusion. Thank you for the links i actually enjoy reading my vape related “honework” :smiley: