Overwhelmed - Need Help with First RTA selection

Just a quick update and a big thank you to all that responded (even those members that didn’t respond, but previously posted comments or questions over the years).

I purchased a GeekVape Ammit 22mm RTA, and made my first build last night. All went pretty well, but had a minor leaking issue that i blame on poor wicking. (I think i cut the cotton across the grain,rather than with it…I blame my third glass of pinot noir during the build for that). After rewicking, no more leaking, and a very nice vape ensued that continues this evening. I’m sorry to say i don’t have a good foundation for comparison, as i only had my stock Veco tank and EUC coils prior. Certainly better flavor and better vapor production that that. I’m quite happy.

Based on suggestions here, i started simply with a single stainless wire @ 26ga, which measured .46 ohms. This appears to be a good starting point,and gives me a baseline to play from here. Lots to experiment with over time, so the journey begins.

Again, Thanks everybody for helping an old noob out.

Peace-Terry

7 Likes

I have several Nanos and use prebuilt coils on them and hardly ever remember to wrap my coils in reverse. No problem installing them. Nano is the perfect first rta IMO. No leaking, great flavor, easy deck and wick, 5ml. and you can use any coil you want.
+1 for AVS, great coils and spooled wire.

2 Likes

I’m new to elr been vaping around 15/16 months . I try to mix not very good yet been trying on my own for Year . Can’t get % right .Anyhow I’m glad I read through this post .I have the engine nano but I can’t find nothing from it .Where do u place coil in it ? I’ve tried 3/3.5/4mm and just can’t find any flavor . I’d really like to get it to working good .Same with entheon I use one for testing and it’s good but u have put that clapton low to get any flavor . But when you hit right spot it’s good if juice is. I was actually searching around to see why mixes or flavors taste so good rda .Then can’t taste nothing rta ?Too strong ? Not strong enough ? I don’t know ? Thanks guys .

4 Likes

Engine Nano was my go to rta and loved it. My preferred coil is ss tri core FC 2.5 or 3mm 5-6 wraps. As far as coil placement I set the coil just above mid level on the post and the coil was kept close to the post. Wick tails for 3mm were thinned a bit and cut so they hung just tucked into the wick port or left fluffy and cut so they lay on top of the port. 2.5mm I just barely combed out the wick and always hung in the port.

5 Likes

What type of mod are you using? Single/dual, built in battery? Singles and built in batteries will usually work better with single coil RTAs. Dual batts will power up your dual coil setups with no problem. Do you have a wattage range that you prefer to vape at? Personally, I never got good flavor out of any of the Engines, which I really wanted to like. I know a lot of vapers loved it as well as a lot of reviewers. Maybe it’s just me.
Personally, I haven’t found a traditional coil RTA that comes close to being as good as the Wotofo Profile Unity RTA. The vapor is not as warm as a traditional coil unit, but the flavor, IMO, is outstanding. There is a bit of a learning curve to the wicking, but once you get it, you’ll be good to go.
RDA’s, in general, will give better flavor because of their construction. Short inner chambers with domed interiors and no chimeneys as well as direct air flow hitting the coils will result in better flavor (again, in general). Of course there are always exceptions and opinions.
Hope you find one you like, but you’ll probably have to go through a few different models before you find what works for you. Maybe do a search on “best flavor RTA” and see what pops up then check you tube or ask around about that specific model(s) and see what peoples opinions are.
Good luck!

4 Likes

Have you replaced the O-rings? I got to where the first thing I do with a new Steam Crave is replace all of the O-rings with the spares they always give you, keep the ones you remove as your spares. O-rings don’t like sitting in a warehouse dry. Always lube your O-rings you install and the part that slides around or butts up against them. I just use whatever vape juice is in front of me. You could just use some plain VG.

7 Likes

Sorry. It took me so long answer back. I’ll try that . I don’t get on forums much .I was just looking around that day for different in the flavor in a rda be great .Put in rta can’t taste or 1st one is good then can’t taste anything .Over flavoring I think .

3 Likes

Sorry to you to took so long. .Ah any how right this minute I’m vaping mostly single 21700 mods .Got 2 of my aegis 18650’s out ease of cleaning for testing . But rta’s I’m using right now Doom x/ Druga single/ Serpent elevate/Arbiter duel/Rda’s Maze v3 cheap but got really good flavor/ An end entheon I test with . I got way way too many . I quit smoking and got into vaping really heavy . I got Taifun GT v4 .Kayfun 5/2 square . I only have 2 duel battery mods Morph 2 Cricket mech for the few duel coil tanks or rdas I use. I vape from 35/75 watts depends single or duel coil . I’m more of single coil flavor chaser I guess .For me I was a 2 pack + most days smoker so I was spending 300 a month cigarettes . I just started putting that into vaping to make sure I stayed off smokes .

3 Likes

My daughter has asked me to get her an RTA, she’s never used one and I don’t live near her to help her learn. My question is, what would be a good one to get her to start learning? Should I go with the SC Supreme and let her learn on that? Anyone have suggestions?
Thanks for the help in advance!

4 Likes

How does she live her life during the day? What kind of mod (18650 or single 21700)? How is she going to vape (DTL or MTL)

The Supreme is nice to start on using the single coil deck matched with a single 21700 battery mod. Lite to carry around during walking around. Should last a day.

7 Likes

Hey @rcleven thanks for the input! She uses a Vaporesso Gen 200 (dual 18650’s), I’ll probably end up getting her a single 21700 mod as well and of course I’ll end up footing the bill for 21700 batteries also :neutral_face: :crazy_face:

7 Likes

You can give her any RTA . The newer top air flows would go nice with a 200 watt mod. The Dead Rabbit and GeekVape are two I like along with the Supreme 2 or 3. They never weep juice after vaping on them all day.

2 Likes

@rcleven yes I agree, I have 2 of the Zeus RTA’s and haven’t had any issues with them at all. I very well may start her off with a couple of those.
And Thanks again for your input!

5 Likes

Personally I would opt to get a top airflow RTA for her if you can’t help her build. The one thing that will frustate most first time builders is a leaky tank. My brain is on alka selzter nightime at the moment so major brain fog so I will try to remember to make suggestions tomorrow. I think the new Dead Rabbit 3 is top airflow but will have more suggestions soon.

Did she want a dual or single coil RTA?

5 Likes

@TimWV it’s going to depend on HER level of technical ability. You’ll have to gauge her level of skill. Will she want to deal with making coils, pulling cotton, fixing wicking/weeping issues ?

I personally agree with @rcleven with the Supreme, BUT, I share the same questions, MTL, DTL ??

And of course @mjag nailed the OTHER elephant in the room, top vs. bottom airflow. My experience (most times) is that although top flows seldom leak, they don’t always perform as good flavor wise.

3 Likes

@SessionDrummer Thank you for the advice. I am giving her 2 of my Zeus top flow RTA’s to get her started along with some of my Muji Cotton, and some pre-built Fused Clapton’s. I’m pretty sure that will be the extent of “coil building” for which she has the attention span lol. If she does well with those I will get her something better such as the Supreme which I dearly love. She does DTL vaping right now at 55W using the juices I make for her. (She moved out physically but still lives with me in spirit, or should I say financially :rofl: :crazy_face:)

6 Likes

@mjag Thank you for the input. I am giving her a couple of my Zeus top airflow’s to start her off just to see how she does with that and go from there.
Again, Thank you for the input!

4 Likes

That was true when they first came out since the airflow would hit the coils on top the new top flows are different. The airflow may start out on top but typically they hit the coils from the side or bottom now. Off the top of my head the Juggerknot V2 and Dead Rabbit RTA V3 both redirect the airlow so it contacts the coils from the bottom and side, both tanks are excellent flavor wise.

7 Likes

I agree and I think the improvement’s really started with the Augvape Intake which I find has excellent flavour especially considering it’s a single coil with top airflow but it’s directed under the coil which makes all the difference. I have one but would dearly love to find another. Then we have the more recent Steam Crave Meson which is also a flavour banger and is so easy to build and wick, I just picked up a spare deck for mine so I can have one ready built in advance.

6 Likes