Real Flavors Super Concentrates Tasting Notes (Part 1)

Thanks for the reply. Iā€™ll have to try rf out once theyā€™re readily available here. From all the tasting notes and this thread they sound great. Iā€™m a big fan of clean fruit flavours rather than the creams, dough or cake flavours so always looking for the best tasting fruits.
I tend to test all my flavours individually so I know how they taste in a standalone and then base this for my mixes. I think this is how I ended up with some rather high fa blends. My problem is that Iā€™m impatient. I often mix and vape. If itā€™s too weak I up the concentrate or vice versa rather than letting it steep and develop.
This evening I made my first test batch of inw blackcurrant at 4%, vaped immediately and itā€™s disgusting! Then I recalled a specific note made by someone else stating that a steep for a few weeks and a good air for this is essential. It will be interesting to see how the flavour develops. I wish I had the patience and enough empty bottles to make batches at different strengths across all my flavours and then try them each week for a couple of months. I think it would really help to profile the flavours.

3 Likes

Yes this kind of testing is necessary. Knowing your flaves and strengths as a final product (after steeping) is crucial. Thankfully many here are willing to share their experience. I suspected impatience was how you got 15%! Lol. Inewera black current can be very sulphury at first. I use it low like .25% is plenty for myself

3 Likes

I wouldnā€™t say wow for a 8 flavor FA mix. 10-14% can be the max. Just saying. But yeah single flavor mixes just like realflavors can be between 0.5-3%. And for FA the normal I find for most general multi flavor mixes sit around 5-8%

4 Likes

Iā€™m going to try this today and do a 10ml bottle with 0.25 and see how it turns out. If it has flavour that low Iā€™m going to be very impressed. Iā€™m looking for that quality to price ratio and if I can use concentrates as low as 1-3% Iā€™ll be able to make huge amounts of liquid from just 10ml concentrate bottles. Currently I mainly mix with tpa as I get 90ml for about Ā£5.50 and itā€™s so easy to mix with but I find I normally mix at 15-20% (yet melon only needs 3-5%!).
I know itā€™s hard to make comparisons unless looking at individual flavours specifically but Iā€™ll keep my eye on all the fruit real flavour reviews and notes and as soon as I get chance to get hold of some will do a direct comparison. Blackcurrant is my flavour of choice, I currently have blackcurrant from tpa, fa, inw, vapours r us, vampire vape and vapable, I need to add real flavors to my list.

Is real flavours pg based? I can see thereā€™s some vg base ones but wasnā€™t sure if the others are pg or something different. Also, what sort of price are people paying and for which bottle sizes?
Iā€™m very tempted to see if I can get a friend to pick me some up and send it over.

1 Like

Super Conc. flavors should be stored in high grade PET or glass until they are blended. Once dulled down you are ok but yes they will eat a bit in to those HDPE bottles.

We offer VG, PDO, and the Super Con (3% Alc) bases

5 Likes

Just reading the post this came from reminds me so much of where I was at back in March (2016).
The following statement brings it all home though:

Patience is critical to a lot of flavors, and has a very important and distinct correlation to flavoring and percentages.

It would also help us with knowing whether you MTL or DL? :slight_smile: Also, while Iā€™m writing the majority to you, Iā€™m also covering some things that you probably already know, but those who are reading (and are where you are) might not have done the homework like you have! So pardon me if I state the obvious! :wink:

The single best piece of advice I can offer for someone in your situation is: buy more bottles!
Personally, Iā€™d say that the beginning mixerā€™s worst enemy is lack of knowing where to effectively apply their resources. IMO glass bottles is number 1.

Iā€™d recommend at least the following for someone who intends on doing single flavor tests, as well as supporting their vaping in the meantime (as they learn their mixing):
Qty:40 15ml
Qty:20 30ml

The above numbers only support 5-10 flavors max (depending on how much you vape, and what style you prefer: MTL or DL). I know someoneā€™s scratching their head going ā€œwhaaat?ā€ so Iā€™ll elaborate. LOL

Letā€™s take those 20 bottles (30ml) and figure you have 10 flavors you like. Unlikely starting out, but Iā€™ll assume that youā€™re also making use of a few simple recipes youā€™ve found ā€œto get you byā€ on ELR while you learn your own mixing skills/style/preferences. So. You fix 10 of those (hopefully youā€™ve chosen all SnVā€™s [shake and vapes] for the ones to get you byā€¦as those cover the immediate need, while keep you from paying retail, so you can invest what you would have spent into flavors, etc). Meanwhile you should really copy those same 10 so that they can be steeping. This serves two purposes. One. When you run out, you already have 10 more to fall back on. Two, youā€™ll inevitably find out that things change with time. That tasty SnV just got x!!

Now, x could be stronger, weaker, sweeter, sour, better, worse, etcā€¦ The ā€œx factorā€ is dependant on several different things. Strength, ingredients (molecular chemical components), amount of alcohol, ratios (vg/pg/nic), and most of all, time.

Unless (and until) you have the ability to consistently feed the habit without dipping into your test subjects (dipping into out of necessity, as opposed to planned testing points), you will find yourself at a major disadvantage (when it comes to ā€œwhere I could have beenā€) on a time-line. Sometimes budgetary constraints dictate just that though, so we deal with our circumstances. But if you have the ability, buying more bottles up front can save a LOT of time and effort in the long run.

WHEW!

Now! About those other 40 bottles (15ml)ā€¦
If youā€™re like I am, youā€™ll want to try and test a few flavors at a time, in several strengths, so that you can try and narrow down your flavor preferences (and percentages) faster!
Itā€™s obvious youā€™re not afraid to do your homework (kudos, as well as Ty for that!!) and thatā€™s awesome. It will also help you in knowing where to start ā€œguessingā€ when it comes time to single flavor test.

So letā€™s say you have 10-15 flavors to test:

FA forest fruit tests at 1%, 2%, 3%, 4%
FW butterscotch test at 6%, 8%, 10%, 12%
TFA caramel test at 2%, 4%, 6%, 8%

Now weā€™ve only batched 3 flavors, but already used 12 bottles. I prefer to do 5-10 flavors at a time these days (when I can), but since Iā€™ve been adding flavors as Iā€™ve been going, it throws a wrench in sometimes. For example, Iā€™ve got 4 different brown sugars going in a head to head at the moment, so I can narrow down my preferred vendor for that flavor.

Anyways, MOAR BOTTLES!! Theyā€™ll go faster than you can imagine! But theyā€™ll also save your ass (in both having something to vape, being able to have some steeping, and still being able to test!

OH! last note about why I prefer using 15ml batches! If youā€™re like me, and like to see how things progress during the steeping cycle, youā€™ll end up sampling 3ml during week 1. Another 3ml during week 2, and another 3mlon week 3. Which should leave you roughly 6ml for the home stretch (most are fully realized at a month IME, though a rare few are exceptions, and need 6-8 weeks).

Anyways, enjoyed your posts here, and I look forward to more! These really reminded me of my early experiences. grins

8 Likes

You bring up an interesting point, but I know I read it as he/she was mixing (and referring to) single flavor percentages in regard to FA:

So if thatā€™s the case (SF %'s) , I would agree with ā€œ12-15%. Wowā€ being entirely shocking. It surprised me! Lol

4 Likes

Very good info and post. You should post that under the beginner thread as well. Will help when mixers are researching.

5 Likes

Did a little tasting of RealFlavors (SC) Blackberry and French Toast.
I was using duel coil SS at .25 ohm and about 25 watts. Both were mixed at 1.5% at 30/70 (pg/vg) and 6mg nic my testers were 15ml and took 0.225g (by weight using 1g=1ml).
The French Toast had a nice full flavor as a stand alone at that percentage, has a very similar taste as the ā€œBread Puddingā€ variant but this seems to be a bit smoother. It may go well with a cream or a marshmallow addition although it is a touch sweet on itā€™s own as it is.
The Blackberry on the other hand has a bit of a ā€œtartā€ taste to it, reminds me more of Harvest Mix in itā€™s attributes, it isnā€™t a full and robust flavor at 1.5%, and (at least at this low of a percentage) not a stand alone vape i.e. I felt it either needs to be stronger or needed another quality added to make it a complete juice.

11 Likes

I subbed RF cream cheese for tfa Greek yogurt and it came out real nice. Itā€™s definitely unsweetened cream cheese and it has that sourness to it. That you either love or hate.

7 Likes

I donā€™t know where to put this at but I figure there are enough veteran members in here following this thread. Iā€™ve been writing some flavor reviews on Real Flavors and when I do my computer starts tripping out. Here is what I keep getting. Itā€™s kind of annoying and really time consuming.

3 Likes

I havenā€™t tried since he made the new site, but I do know my old reviews didnā€™t carry over. Iā€™ll go try to do one and see what happensā€¦

2 Likes

Hmmmm, it took mine and says is awaiting review. I used Chrome. What browser is that?

Maybe your browser isnā€™t reading the security certificate? Have you tried rebooting?

2 Likes

I was using Chrome as my browser. Itā€™s not on Real flavors Web page itā€™s when I search for real flavors sc on this website that it starts acting crazy.

Right hereā€¦doesnā€™t happen when Iā€™m mobile. Just when Iā€™m on my computer at home.

http://e-liquid-recipes.com/flavors?q=Real+flavors+sc

2 Likes

That is really strange. It doesnā€™t do it when you search for other flavors like Capella? I have never seen that before, Iā€™m sorry. If no one else has maybe daath can help?

2 Likes

Ok @daath ā€¦when I go here on my home computer is when it starts. The refresh on the top left is constantly moving and it says that my connection on this site is not secure.

http://e-liquid-recipes.com/flavors

2 Likes

When I had attempted reviews in the past, they never showed up (months ago) so I just refrained from a doing them. Iā€™m talking about the RF website, not here.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for the detailed helpful post. I think my problem started when I ended up with 50 odd flavours within a month and was trying too many different recipes and flavours. Youā€™re right about needing bottles. Iā€™ve used about 30x30ml bottles and 40x 10ml bottles at the moment (plus 7x100ml bottles with successful blends in).
If I started with just a few I would have probably made more recipes from the first 10 flavours I had. Iā€™m still mixing and experimenting looking for the best fruit flavours and mixes and ordered myself another 40 of the 10ml bottles for test mixes. Fruits that I find I really like I end up buying from as many different suppliers as I can so I can ultimately find my favourite although so far Iā€™ve found some better individually but donā€™t work so well in a blend as the less tasty version. So many flavours to work with.

One thing I found very early on (Iā€™m 3 months in now) was that mixing successfully is an incredibly challenging art. Different flavours require different steeps, they all require different volumes and ratios in a blend due to concentration levels, some need more airing and some change flavour completely.
Even with tasting notes I constantly have to go back to single flavours and get the dripper out to try to let my palate guide me for a new recipe.

Iā€™ll heed your advice though and be a lot more patient and experiment more with single flavours to truly understand them.

Just to stay a little on topic I canā€™t wait to try the real flavours fruits. Does anyone know if they work well as a shake and vape? Also has anyone tried real flavors blackcurrant? (thatā€™s my favourite vape. Looking for a full flavoured tart one)

7 Likes

Something to keep in mind when mixing multi flavor mixes, it is one of the more important factors. I like to mix a lot of very heavy custard mixes, the creams and custards will all cure well together at normal %s but if i want to add in some kinds of fruits or bakery ill adjust them slightly to make sure they hold up well over the very lengthy curing process.

I have some of the SC fruits, Yumberry, Strawberry, Pineapple and some others i cant remember right now. They are all fantastic but keep in mind that the SC flavorings are alcohol based and need some time to allow the alcohol to evaporate into the empty space in the bottle. I havent tried any of them as a shake and vape but the very first thing that i do after mixing is to shake the crap out of it and pour some on my finger to put into my mouth hole.

BTW, i have been enjoying all of the SC that i have purchased, since i got these i have mixed more than i did in the last year.

8 Likes

Only one to report:

Pineapple

Like the meat of the pineapple, not the sweet canned juice. The wife cant drink pineapple juice but loves it and i have tried a few flavorings to make her something she could vape. She didnt like any of them but i think we have a winner. Im still working on a single %, i went a bit to high at 2%.

Another flavor that i will order again, should i ever run out that is.

7 Likes