Setting Temp Control - Write Up

Very good read. I’ve been using the .50 mm for a few months. I initially used contact coils in non tc mode. I found this didn’t work with tc. My range is below .10 for flavor and vapor that I like.

I think this is more of a preference. I’m usually vaping between 500-600 degrees.

This true when using a device setup for Ti use. But most TC mods will read Ti. The draw back is it heats them as if it’s Ni200. So you have to set the temp lower for a comfortable vape. I used Ti before TC mods came out with with the Ti option and I had to lower the temp because the vape was too hot. I used it somewhere between 300-450 degrees.

Also on some TC devices you still need to set the wattage for the appropriate temp… as to not under power or over power your temp setting. There is a parallel between wattage and temp on some TC mods.

2 Likes

I created a section this morning with a play by play of exactly how I set everything when I sit down and do a build. You should read that and let me know what you think!

I introduced the setting the wick part because of everything I have found about TC, setting the wick is by far the least talked about subject amongst it. Yet it is the MOST, MOST, MOST important part of the TC process, other than syncing the resistance.

Also forgot to say @Pro_Vapes I vape on mainly IPV4’s and they all have the coefficient for Ti programmed into the TC setting. These settings are only based off of a TC mod that CAN have a setting to set Ti and not just Ni! Although, the process should be the same for any TC mod and any wire no matter what.

2 Likes

Let me know what you think about the step by step process I wrote up this morning!

I like it! Good guide. A couple of points:

There are many titanium grades, not just 1 and 2 - I have grade 1 but I also have an alloy (I can’t even figure out what grade it is), which also works beautifully.

TiO2 isn’t as harmful (or harmful at all?), as some would have us think… I know @Pro_Vapes feels this is important :smile:

As @Pro_Vapes I think the temperature is a matter of preference - I am currently vaping at 275o C (527o F)…

3 Likes

First off, thank you.

There are several grades available in any gauge. They sell any gauge on etsy, I get most of mine from there and the 25g off eBay. I have only used grade 1 and 2 so I can’t comment on the rest. I haven’t seen much info on the others either. Maybe you have?

The oxide is not as harmful as we presumed, you’re right. The daily exposure is somewhere around 15mg if I am correct. How one could measure that off of vaping I am not sure nor qualified to say lol. I still believe that one should limit their exposure to it, especially if it is a variable we can control to the extent we can now with TC.

Vaping itself is all a matter of preference, cheers :beers:.

2 Likes

I saw your post and ordered 28g and 22g. The arrived today.

@Pro_Vapes I meant to ask you, with the IPV4S/IPV3 Li how low can you set the coefficient? Can you actually use TC with stainless steel wire? 0.00094 is pretty low compared to nickel’s 0.006

1 Like

I’ve said this in several post scattered throughout this forum. TC has only become popular here in last 2 or 3 weeks. All info is welcome and thanks for your post.

2 Likes

I agree I’ll listen to ANY SUGGESTIONS where temp control is discussed so I can have the best setup when making my titanium coils on rba base.
Please elaborate in anyway ya can thanks.

2 Likes

It’s not done like Cube 2… You set the resistance and the chip does the rest. When I noticed it read the SS I set the resistance just like Ni200. I was able to operate it just like normal. I’m certain that the temp settings weren’t accurate… Kinda like with Ti… but it worked fine. I noticed that it doesn’t work on my TC mods though.

Titanium builds up titanium DIoxide, not titanium oxide. TiO2 is NOT dangerous, and you’re never going to get it all cleaned off a coil. It’s sticky and not soluble in water or alcohol. There are two reasons not to let too much build up on coils, but neither of them are safety related. One is that it will reduce the efficiency of the coil, and the second is that any TiO2 that is created represents titanium that is no longer part of the coil, so the coil will wear out that much sooner. TiO2 is nearly inert. It doesn’t easily change into anything else or combine easily with anything else. And it’s not a poison; it’s GRAS and used in a lot of foods. (It’s often used to make food colors opaque, so it’s in the candy coating on M&Ms.)

Ni200, OTOH, forms NiO (nickel oxide) which is a poisonous gas. Titanium is about the safest wire you could use for vaping.

1 Like

Not entirely correct. Titanium oxide (Ti2O3) is what always covers titanium. It protects the Ti from corrosion. If you break the titanium oxide layer the it will be regenerated spontaneously in air (and fairly quickly). The oxide layer is also what can appear to give different colors to titanium wire (there isn’t any color, the effect is the same as with soap bubbles).
Titanium dioxide (TiO2) can form on top of the oxide layer.

1 Like

Good points from both… bottom line is it’s not going to harm you… especially the amount produced from vaping.

3 Likes

Well, the 2 metals chemists I work with who have master’s degrees in the subject disagree with you. Unless you’re also an expert in metals chemistry, I’ll go with their answer.

From what I understand, what I wrote correct, and in fact pretty basic. If they disagree with that, I wouldn’t put much faith in their “master’s degree”. But again, I am not a metallurgist. :wink:

EDIT: 60 seconds of googling again, lets me know I’m at least partially wrong - The oxide layer that always convers Ti is at least part TiO2 if not predominantly so :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: There shouldn’t be anything wrong with the rest of my statement :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Anyway, as Pro_Vapes wrote:

:smiley:

1 Like

This is a really fascinating subject forbme, although nothing to do at all with vaping. I stand behind the fact that Ti is easily the safest wire for vaping. The different oxides of Titanium are used to produce optical coatings, a subject t I am very much interested in ATM.

Arguing the relative contents of the various oxides present on Ti is probably best left to metallurgists and materials scientists. It’s going to be very dependent on things gone unconsidered in this post. The good news is most folks seem to be on the page that Ti is safe now. You really can’t build a very thick layer of it from the wire itself either, it’s too good of an encapsulant. That’s why Ti in normal environments is essentially corrosion proof.

Much respect to all for educating yourselves. This is deep intellectual water, for whatever that is worth. If you guys are super curious, I have a lot of reference material and we can pull up phase diagrams and really get down to fundamentals. My hunch, FWIW is that there might be an atomic monolayer of a higher-order oxide like Ti3O5 between “pure” Ti and the TiO2, but my hunch is the outermost layers are TiO2 in normal circumstances. . .hit that material with an electron beam in high vacuum and the higher order oxides will reappear

1 Like

It is fascinating :slight_smile: I think The Ti2O3 and other oxides (not TiO2) are the ones that make the “color effect” - you know, when they appear blue/green etc :slightly_smiling:

Actually any thin, transparent film will give you that effect. It is based on the same optical phenomenon as oil on water giving you colors. If you want to read about it Google “newton’s rings.”

This same principle is applied to enhance or reduce reflections at optical interaces. For example, the anti-glare coating put on eyeglasses. It is probable that the different oxides have different indices of refraction, which enhances the effect by changing the effective optical thickness. . .so in that respect I could see how it could contribute to the color change. BUT, the different oxides needn’t be present to cause this effect. A single oxide (or any transparent film) of varying thickness will suffice.

Yep, I mentioned that earlier - It’s the same effect as n soap bubbles - looks very cool on metal though :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes you did. I saw that.

I used to have Ti headers on my motorcycle. My God they were beautiful. The harder I beat on the thing the more beautiful they became. . .until I wadded the whole thing into a ball.

1 Like