Single Cells, Temp Control, and Stick Measuring

Continuing the discussion from Toxic Metals in E-Cigarette Vapors:

@Nco it seems you may want to talk DNA and single cells. You seem to have some knowledge to share regarding true power and accuracy of regulated devices. Here’s the new landing strip for this conversation. I’ll go ahead and weigh in…just to get the ball rolling.

That depends on what you have under the hood of your atty. A single 20 wrap, 28ga Kanthal build, yeah, 40W may actually be a lot. But on 24ga SS dual coils (regardless of wraps) it ain’t nuttin. I think it helps to define your terms. So what is it you’re vaping on where 40w is a lot?

5 Likes

This is a very interesting thread but makes my head spin when I start thinking about everything involved. The DNA boards I have tested “seem” to be very accurate but those tests are always encumbered by the mod itself. Most every DNA equipped mod that I have encountered was improperly calibrated by the manufacturer to include Lost Vape. On average, most mods I have tested DNA or no are within 5% of power setting i.e. 38W to 42W for a setting of 40W.

Now, converting watt hours or joules to heat applied to the coil and or e-juice is another subject matter entirely. Steam Engine offers a heat flux index for coil builds that can be helpful at least as a comparison method between builds. Atty materials, overall inner volume, introduced airflow, etc. all impact the effective heat.

To translate that into toxins produced and the correlate that with toxic levels achieved within the human body and then predict the effects on the human body is FAR beyond my command of the multitude of disciplines required to conduct such a study.

2 Likes

I’d venture a guess that’s a fair assessment of the average regulated mod. To me pinpoint accuracy isn’t as important with watts as temp control is when using TC modes. Kinda like I don’t care if I’m off of flavor weights from 1mg/1ml as opposed to specific gravity. Consistency is key. But on the TC front, DNA mods have proven very consistent in their performance. I’ve yet to have a dud.

I do find your efforts at learning actual coil temperatures very interesting. It would be neat to see those experiments doing a side-by-side comparison of temp reading and Escribe :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Good points all around.

I’ve been thinking about such a comparison and will continue to think about it. Lag time in developing temperature is the hurtle I am struggling with right now. I just got some probes in that are pretty fast. Haven’t had time to play with them much yet.

1 Like

Agreed! Keep up the research Ogre.

1 Like

I’m not so sure he’ll want to continue this conversation :slight_smile:

He was just trying to help, but without the proper knowledge or experience. Already had a pretty long private message thread with him about it. Don’t make this a thread to take the piss out of him :wink:

1 Like

Not my intention. I had never even heard of the DNA 60 so I was (am) a bit intrigued.

You know though how conversations about power and such tend to devolve into that primitive beast mode. My subject line was preparing for that :slight_smile:

That said, @Nco you need not worry. I’m not here to belittle you or anything and was actually sincere. Please don’t hesitate to chime in as I know zero about the DNA 60. I know plenty about the 200 and 250 though and ready to answer any question you may have regarding those.

2 Likes

Omg, i had hoped we could forget about that thread. Lol
That was the first, or second first, thread i posted in on the forum. Had hoped to spark up the conversation in a kind of dead thread and i certainly did that.
Like Suomynona mentioned, he has already given me an lecture in a private message. So none of us felt it had to be taken any further.

I would say 40w for just about any single coil would be pretty sufficient, but as soon as you go dual coil it is going to feel underpowered.

After people went mad about my comments in that other thread, i researched it some more.
The DNA 250 is more power efficient than the 60, I’m guessing because the 250 can drain more on each battery without overdraining?
When i researched it again, i couldn’t find the guy who said it was one of the more accurate DNA mods.
He wasn’t just some guy in his basement so i kinda took his words for good.
But after all the shit i got from the other thread, i thought about it, and it might have been some really old reviews of the DNA60, where it was praised as one of the most accurate chips. We’re talking 2015/16. So it might not be as true as it once were. :hugs:

2 Likes

‘‘Single Cells, Temp Control, and Stick Measuring’’

:grin:

2 Likes

@anon44944642 and @SthrnMixer

Just tested a Therion 166 that I had not tested before and the result was what I expected, about 35°F under temperature the way it is calibrated. You can kinda tell just by vaping how it’s gonna go. The bad news is that even these new probes are not fast enough to plot against the electrical characteristics of the mod. I can snag max temperature achieved but with no correlation at what time it was achieved during the vape.

1 Like

I apparently didn’t read enough of the thread to figure out there was any issues going on. I was going on an assumption based on reading up to a certain point which is where I started this new topic. Sorry, I kind of feel like this thread could be deleted. I really was only here to discover new things and not single anyone out or continue something unpleasant. I still haven’t gone back to read what I missed and if there was unpleasantness I will just go ahead and not read it :slight_smile:

As for the discussion here - well I’ve never heard of the DNA 60 so it seemed news to me. My first DNA was a 200. Odd that it and the 250 came out before the 75, which I’ve still never used. Anyway, if you’re thinking of venturing into TC vaping and do choose a DNA mod, I would be more than happy to help you get up and running.

There is wisdom in helping a person get started with their first dna for sure. The one I’m testing tonight is a good example. The SS profile it came with is a little flaky. I used one provided by DJlsb and that proved to be more accurate. Now the mod is running hot by about 40°F. I found the source of that. The mod’s internal resistance is incorrect as well and is reading the atty .02Ω low. Now for myself, I am not going to fix that as resistance is and independent variable and I like my vape on the warm side. To someone new all of this can be daunting. @Nco I would take SthrnMixer up on this. Just to editorialize a tad, Even with the accuracy of the DNA I really feel more comfortable keeping TC in the realm of providing a comfortable vape and not for security against exceeding some worrisome temperature associated with the production of toxins. These things just aren’t that accurate yet, IMHO.

Is it not a confirmed fact that Nickel wire releases heavy metals when heated to red hot?

There is a lot of chatter about that. I’ve seen some very heated “debate” regarding Nickel. I personally have not seen qualified evidence that vaping with Nickel is what I would regard as dangerous. I would say if you are worried, don’t use it. Why torment yourself with the thought it may be harming you? To the point of the excerpt you quoted, let’s say you are worried that above 425°F and you will be inhaling a toxin. I would not trust setting a mod for 410°F to protect you. The accuracy of TC just isn’t there from what I have tested.

It is a fact that exposure to nickel dust is a problem, and if you work in a smelter actually melting nickel it is a problem. It is a widespread myth that vaping with nickel wire releases toxins.

there is more information in wiki

Don’t breathe nickel dust, don’t melt nickel without protective equipment, avoid nickel if you are allergic.