So what exactly does the favoring we use contain?

Continuing the discussion from Safe alternatives to Capella cake batter?:

This isnt a health related question. Its a question I’ve been asked, & I dont believe Ive been able to fully answer it. Ive looked for an answer online but mostly just found anti-vaping bullshit - havent been able to find a ‘list of contents’ anywhere.

Considering that different flavors contain different additives, theres no single answer to that question. So, perhaps a better question to ask is…What exactly COULD the flavoring we use contain?
I’m aware of those @ringling mentions in @rks959’s thread - acetoin, diactyl, butric acid. I know there’s also PG &/or VG

…but what else?

What is everything that could possibly be in a flavor?

Is there a list?

AD EDIT: …& about how many components would a common flavor, like say… TPA Caramel (orig) …or CAP Cake batter contain?

Some of the MSDS sheets have more details on what is in each flavor. There is a link to a lot of the MSDS in the flavor list. I doubt you will be able to find a full list of every chemical in a flavor.

The MSDS sheets dont tell you everything.

Yeah… its those ones I want to know about. The ones they dont mention. Are they too numerous?

Well if your trying to sell a product I doubt your going to tell everyone how to make it.

I thought butric acid was the safe alternative to diacetyl?

I think the fear with butric acid is it isn’t really tested. It is like we know this is kind of bad so lets use this complete unknown thing.

Thats true. But if, for example, I buy a can of Spam, where I come from its entire contents are listed on the can so I know 100% whats in it, & I can make an informed decision about buying it. Despite knowing whats init, im quite happy not to make it myself. Now, I’m certainly not suggesting flavors should be labled with this info …but it would be good to know

When you buy a can of spam they don’t have to tell you everything that is in it. There is a list of Ingredients yes but they only have to tell if it is at a specific %. It is the same with the flavoring we buy. The MSDS sheets are probably the best your going to get with out being a large buyer and sign a non disclosure agreement.

1 Like

In Australia, they do …a %age of each major ingredient & a list of every minor ingredient making up the whole. But thats by the by. I think youre probably right about the MSDS sheets being the best bet. But personally, I think thats a sad lack of transparency by the flavor companies. I totaly believe they could list everything without giving anything away - I’m not suggesting they list %ages, only ingredients. I’d rekon in most cases, flavor for flavor, theyre prob all made with the same stuff anyhow - with the diff being %ages of ingredient .
I really wouldnt mind knowing everything that I just enhaled. Not that I’m worried - its gotta be better than than the alternative. It IS better - no doubt about it!. It’d just be good to know.

A lot of the ingredients are not going to be listed because they are part of the “trade secret” part of a flavor recipe. Ingredients listed on food will typically have something along the lines of “natural and artificial flavors” and/or “spices”. Those are what make things taste the way they do and the part of the recipe that is secret. If he’d be interested in enlightening us, I think the best person to speak to this would be @Walt_RealFlavors since flavors is what he does. :wink:

1 Like

In the EU with the TPD going into effect, listing all the ingredients is exactly what will be required of flavour companies. I don’t know what will happen in the US regarding future regulations.

1 Like

You mean something like this :smiley: (From a recipe we just submitted for the the TPD)

MOST places are super private about what they put in the flavors.

Vanilla Custard if you are interested…

7 Likes

I found this on the TPA site. Click on “List” at the far right side of the page. Other vendors have something similar. Google the vendors you are interested in and see if this info is provided.

https://shop.perfumersapprentice.com/specsheetlist.aspx

1 Like

Yup. I can see the US being lax in the way of requiring manufacturers to list all ingredients. I’m sure lawyers will make lots of money being employed, fighting to keep “trade secrets” a secret.

My 2 cents… Transparency and truth is a good thing. :wink: But, you know the good ole USA:

Nothing to worry about here folks! :smirk:

6 Likes

You got it!!!
…I can easily find a list of the 600 + ingredients in a cigarette.

1 Like

So @Walt_RealFlavors, thanks for chiming in!
Are you saying that those are the components that make up 100% of your VC?

We may well have another decade before we can truthfully say any of the flavorings are well tested for inhalation use. But compared to the shitshow I was inhaling every day when I smoked, I’m actually relatively comforted that they’re at least well-tested for safety in food use.

That is an old one but yes :smiley:

Thank you Walt! I appreciate your response.

Thats exactly an example of what I was looking for![quote=“Josephine_van_Rijn, post:11, topic:56566”]
In the EU with the TPD going into effect, listing all the ingredients is exactly what will be required of flavour companies.
[/quote]

I’ll wait till this happens to get the rest.

But in the meantime… if you dont mind… VC is a very common flavor. Would you say the number of components in this flavor is ‘average’ compared to most others?

1 Like

See that is a tough question. A company could use other things to make the flavor. It REALLY varies per company.

For example we use VG for extraction… So Glycerol is super high. Also we use Butyric Acid in a higher amount while using something else to counter the disgusting smell :smiley:

Some of the elements in our blends have alcohol in them but are later removed… (Yes we still have to list them due to regulations)

The new TPD is throwing a wrench to most flavor houses. This is a huge thing to ask a flavoring company to do. Most I doubt will do it, some I doubt even know them (the re-bottlers).

I have been asking other companies what they are going to do about it and the feelings are mixed.

Capella (Mackenzie): We are aware of the deadline and are working towards TPD compliance. No timeline has been set.

TFA (Flynn): Safety Data Sheets are documents that declare the CAS and quantity of any chemical ingredient regulated under Regulation. Unfortunately, due to the nature of the regulation itself we are unable to register our flavors

So pretty much I think come registration time it will be a mess. TFA discloses some but not all.

None the less Real Flavors will disclose it all. Now if they ask for my source of the raw ingredients, we will have an issue :smiley:

(Yes Vanillin can vary depending the source by A LOT!)

3 Likes