SXK Hadaly clone - a thought or two on the Llama

Did you you try swapping and flipping over the wire plates for bigger wire ?

But it sucks that the screws are short :astonished:

Wow, thank you so much, ozo! :astonished: But no, don’t do that. I wouldn’t want you to spend your money on that kind of shipment. But I appreciate your saying this! :blush:

1 Like

@Rob62 That was, in fact, the first thing I tried :joy: But the thing is the clamps and their sockets (wording?) they’re supposed to fit in, are formed in a way that they can only be installed in one way. :pensive:

@jminion1947 I’ll try that very build next then! :triumph:
Your comment above actually reminded me of something and made me think… Apart from properties of the coil, can your atomizer’s build “lead to” spitting? The placement of the coil relative to the chimney and the chamber’s dome certainly can prevent or mitigate some spitting - but could it somehow increase or even cause spitting? Currently I’m thinking, maybe it could - first of all, too much airflow relative to wattage and wicking capabilities could cause too much liquid on the coil to be carried away as thick droplets by the strong airflow. The other thing I thought of is, it could be possible to mess up the airflow channels (compared to the authentic one) in a way that causes turbulences that carry away too much liquid, causing spitting - maybe a problem of the channel’s angle? Hmm…:thinking: what do you all think?

2 Likes

Naseschwarz My first build was a 28/36 clapton paired with a 24 gauge round wire wrapped with .5 flat wire, good flavor but spit like a Cobra. Plain Clapton was not much better.I just am putting a 2.5 mm, 26 gauge SS wire build in, at .47 ohms. I will show the height of the coil I find the best. At this height the bottom of the coil should be above the air flow.

3 Likes

Coil height looks very good…maybe also try the same, but a spaced coil.

1 Like

Have been trying your build @jminion1947 :triumph: Pretty good one there! Solved the spitting just fine, just a little bit left at 28W. Played around with the coil’s position and found that the lower the coil gets the more spitting there is. In the beginning the flavour was a bit whispy, but that turned out to be caused by the wick - it was displaced (somehow? :neutral_face:). Looks like I misgauged the chamber volume there :sweat_smile:

Some things still bug me, though - but they’re a thing of this clone. The missing Allen key is annoying and I couldn’t get the coil as high up as I wanted, because the wire would slip out from under the clamps. :unamused:
Anyhow, it’s a nice atty for now after all :yum:

2 Likes

Great RDA… has it’s flaws but i’ve i should give a thumbs up or a thumbs down I would give it a thumbs up, no doubt. I never over squonked it, building on it was easy as I run a 24g 3mm 6 wrap that was installed pretty easy. You have to position the coil a few mm over the afc to get the best flavour. And of course do yourself a favor and use the scottish roll wicking…

1 Like

That was a very good mini review of the sxk hadaly. It was like you pulled every word out of my head. It’s just ok for me. It is definatly better as a BF RDA which is how I use it but I like my Odin V2 from Loki lab better (which are on sale for 50 bones. Anywho peace out

1 Like

Tried those drip tips out, by the way. As pretty and comfy as they are, I found they’re more of a problem than a solution, at least with my current build (by @jminion1947 above). It does prevent spitback, but the vapour forms droplets around all those small holes which gives me a wetter-than-preferred vape. :disappointed: YMMV.

@iliketohideincloset Don’t get to upset with me but do yourself a favor and get some supima cotton, it doesn’t matter who produces it ( I use F5 by vapenyne http://www.f5byvapenyne.com/pima_packs.htm ) It is far superior in taste, heat resitance, and last much longer than ko gen do (japanese cotton squares). For some reason cotton is a very personal product and people don’t like when others mess with it, but just try it and I believe you will like it. If you want to try it I will send you a sample. Anywho, Peace, Love and Happiness

I tried so many different brands and finally settled with muji unbleached organic cotton pads… great taste, easy to work with and as a bonus there is a muji store in my town… 200 pads for like 3,50- eur.

Well you can always drill it out and just have a wide bore tip but I like mine

Would never drill anything out… I am lazy af.

3 Likes

@Naseschwarz

When I was in college, I would drill…never mind.

Don’t drill it out, it may be perfect on some other atty.

4 Likes

Yeah well I like some things wet … LOL

1 Like

Since I know you are too old for babies…you must be talking about the 1/2 acre pool in your yard. :smile_cat:

2 Likes

Or wet Vapes :grinning:

1 Like

That alone makes it good. :slight_smile:

Having the same problems with my SXK Hadaly. There is a trick to getting it right I think. My favorite youtuber praised this RDA as being the most flavorful atty he has had. I get nothing but what you explained above. No flavor at all on the first attempt with 24g kanthal. Tried some alien clapton, and lowered the coil. Taste was better, but not there. Spit back got worse as I lowered it. The Vaping Biker has a really good video addressing the spit back, and coil position. It all comes down to coil positioning, and proper wicking. Neither of which I have accomplished yet. I get easily frustrated so I have only tried to fix it once so far.

1 Like

Try the build and position @jminion1947 suggested above, it’s a good one. It solved spitback and flavour for me.

In the end I wanted to use the clamps like originally intended, so I have sold my 22mm clone and switched for the 24mm version. It’s all fancy clamps now, with a SS mesh coil in it, but kinda too much space for the wattages I use, sadly :disappointed_relieved: Still use it occasionally though.