Throat Hit (2024 edition)

Before I get crucified, I did search the forum and found some older threads on the topic.

I’ve also gone through numerous other posts on other forums, and while the topic comes up from time to time, it seems the conversation never really converges.

Here are some suggestions I have seen, that I can personally vouch for:

• Increase PG ratio
  • MTL style vapes with restricted air intake
  • Some flavors more than others
  • Menthol/Cooling additives (this does seem true some times, though counterintuitive)

Here are other suggestions I can’t vouch for but have heard:

• Flavorah Heat Additive
  • FA Flash Additive
  • Extracted Terpenes (these are NOT THC, but flavor compounds extracted from cannabis or synthesized)
  • Adding alcohol (Vodka comes up a lot)
  • Adding water (Also comes up a lot)

So then…

What can you vouch for that adds some TH?

8 Likes

Menthol/Cooling additives: This is the only thing that gives me throat hit, but like you say it’s counterintuitive (unless you like menthol / coolant). but I have never tried to go for a throat hit. Even when I switched to vape from cigarettes every one said you need that throat hit but I went straight to sub ohm and never craved the Hit myself…
I have too have heard Flash adds throat hit but haven’t ever used it. I do use FLV Heat and for me it doesn’t add throat hit…

5 Likes

I have used the Flash (FA) and it really increases throat hit but i don’t remember percentage …you start low and find it.

5 Likes

With MTL I find it depends on the coil placement as much as the airflow. Different RTA’s will give more TH when the coil is placed higher than others, whereas if the coil is placed at normal height it can be smoother and less TH.

6 Likes

Increased freebase NIC, and PG always seem to work.

7 Likes

Thanks for posting this thread. I like a noticeable TH and am always searching for ways to achieve it. I’m not referring to a hit like from analog cigs, just a presence in my throat sort of feeling. I don’t want to increase my nic, though.

7 Likes

I’ve tried FA Flash @3% and conversely to the above post found it useless for TH. I’ve yet to try FLV Heat but it’s on my hit list. I played with vodka in the early days but was a little hesitant so perhaps that has a bearing on it seemingly doing next to nothing for me.

I also thank you for this thread as TH is something I enjoy. From my limited research and efforts I’ve only arrived at the above conclusions of higher nic,more PG and coil placement.
I hope/wish there is some magic additive that isn’t nic.

7 Likes

Hi @lanc13 have you established any assessments on which RTAs give more TH according to coil placement?

3 Likes

For my usage @muth bearing in mind I am MTL only, I find the Galaxies RTA is the most significant one with a sub ohm coil (ie 0.8 ohm) and a placement with around 3 - 4 mm from the airhole in the bottom. Most of my others (Mainly Berserkers OG and V3) seem to have less of an effect when changing the placement.

6 Likes

“Todds reviews” YT also an MTL’er says closer to the airhole for flavor, further away for TH. I see him say that usually with a .8-1.2 mm air opening.

5 Likes

Well, that’s good to hear. I’m using the Galaxies RTA right now. I’m going to try and raise the coil and see what happens.

4 Likes

Former KOOL smoker here, and 14 years of vaping later, still MTL and still need TH. :smiley:

• Increase PG ratio - Absolutely. I use 80PG/20VG

• MTL style vapes with restricted air intake - Yes. Airy doesn’t give throat hit

• Some flavors more than others - Yes. I vape cinnamon menthol (formerly Fire n Ice)

• Menthol/Cooling additives - Yes. See above

• Flavorah Heat Additive - I tried it ages ago and it didn’t do much for me

• FA Flash Additive - Never tried it.

• Extracted Terpenes (these are NOT THC, but flavor compounds extracted from cannabis or synthesized) - Never tried it.

• Adding alcohol (Vodka comes up a lot) - Yes. I add 4 drops of 151 grain alcohol to 30ml.

• Adding water (Also comes up a lot) - No. Tried it, but nothing.

I haven’t noticed any change in the coil placement to air hole, but I use a single coil 13mm RBA, so it’s pretty hard to get any distance.

7 Likes

How did the grain alcohol work out? I just bought a bottle of Everclear. I’m not a menthol user but I’d like to know which flavors you found gave TH (non-menthol).

3 Likes

Definitely cinnamon. I also have found that sour flavors, like lemon and green apple, have some throat hit.

The everclear adds some. At least, I thought my mix was missing some TH, and the alcohol helped.

4 Likes

I found this in the flavor notes by a mixer named @MrWolverine He mentioned BiteXtra. Somehow, it sounds familiar but I don’t remember, do you know it? I remember when Nude Nicotine offered nic with three levels of throat hit but I don’t remember it being called that.

ETA: I just found it from a 2016 thread topic. It’s the former name for Flash (FA).

4 Likes

Huh…still not familiar with it. :woman_shrugging:t2:

4 Likes

You mentioned it in your bullet list above. I know you haven’t tried it but thought you were familiar with the name. No matter, some reviewers say it did nothing and some said it really helped. I’m just going to pick it up next time I go flavor shopping and try it for myself.

3 Likes

As you can see by the date I ordered some direct from FA UK years ago it’s best before date is 2016… doesn’t time fly!
I used about 50ml before I realised whatever ‘extra’ hit I was getting was in my imagination. Initially I thought it was fantastic but as I continued it just seemed to do less and less until I believe I reached the realisation. To my memory it wasn’t the same as FA Flash but I could be wrong.

Edit. I just checked FA UK and it appears it is no longer available but a product called Liquido Zero is which definitely mentions Flash. Perhaps they renamed it?

4 Likes

Well, that’s confusing. From BiteXtra to Flash to Liquido Zero. Is FA playing dodge ball so they can keep selling this stuff?

4 Likes

Confusing indeed but in my opinion at least two out of three don’t work. If indeed it is the same product then that would explain it.

4 Likes