ELR Home   Create recipe   Resource page   My recipes/favorites

Tobacco Extraction Using Heated Ethanol

Doing a bit of an experiment with another extraction. Deciding to go hybrid with a PGA hot/cold maceration this go round.

.5g of a locally mixed pipe blend tobacco (Virginia, Latakia & Perique) topped with 100ml of PGA heated to 150 degrees; stirred slightly to moisten tobacco and off to the cool steep closet for a month. :grinning: 9/2/16…see ya then!

Tossing this over here since it reminded me of the above PGA extraction which I needed to comment upon after the filter process:

I did two versions of the local Latakia, Virginia and Perique Blend; one PGA and one PG. The PGA version (even though it’s more of a pain in the butt to filter) came out much cleaner, crisp and vibrant. This outcome won’t keep me from doing it the lazy man’s way (Quick PG method), but perhaps for those higher price tobaccos which deserve time and care, I’ll spring for the PGA hybrid hot start/cold steep method. :grinning:

Hiho,

tobacco leaves arrived and waiting for beeing extracted. BUT alcohol with 96,9% is expensive, because there is a high tax on. Can i use 2-Propanol for the extraction? If not, i have to swallow this toad. I think the result with alcohol is better than with PG. More you get out from the leaves.

Just want to start this journey into NET and like to choose the best solution.

over&out
Weedhunter

Stick with ethyl alcohol… 151 proof of something, if you don’t want to purchase a higher proof.

Read a toxicology report on 2-propanol/
isopropyl alcohol… it needs to stay in the medicine chest.

I have had good success with 151 PGA, despite what others might say. I just wrapped up a 6 month maceration process of War Horse Green:

150 ml of 151 EA solvent was used during the maceration process, then filtered and reduced down to 30ml worth of usable extract. This turned out to be one of the best EA extraction’s I’ve done so far; very pleased.

Just learned that I do not have access to 190 proof Pure Grain Alcohol (EverClear) in my state, so bought the 151 proof. (Man, this stuff is not cheap)
Question: Is there something that you do differently in the process to adjust for the lower alcohol / greater water content in the 151 proof?

Does PGA mean pure grain alcohol?

151 Proof is 75,5% Vol. -> 24,5 % Vol. water.

My research says, if you want to extract plants you need water too. The water let the plant parts swell up. Now the alcohol can solve better. That explain your good results.

My thoughts about using high proof alcohol was about less water in the endproduct.

over&out
Weedhunter

Nope…

Some folks get bent because the H2O in the 151 PGA might pull out a bit more of the natural dextrose in the tobacco, causing the coil to gunk a bit faster and making the extract a bit sweet. It doesn’t bother me that much, since I perform a wick change and coil burn on a daily basis anyway and I don’t mind a little sweetness with my NET vapes.

There are also those that say an extraction with anything less than a 190 or 200 proof PGA is garbage… my opinion is, that is not true. In short… to each their own.

If folks want to spend their money on expensive proof EA or go through the process of using 3A molecular sieve beads to rid the EA of H2O… they can knock themselves out. Again… to each their own. I’ll go the cheap route… I’m easy.

Yes… pure grain alcohol; sometimes you will see me and others refer to it as EA (ethyl alcohol) or Ethanol.