Tweaking a Recipe

Yeah i think .5% is a fair starting point. You might even want to go just a tiny but lower.

2 Likes

Thank you guys for the input. How does this look?

Coconut Extra (TPA) 0.4%
Liquid Stevia (Pyure) 0.4%
Pineapple (TPA) 2%
Sour (TPA) 1%
Strawberry (Ripe) (TPA) 4%
Strawberry (TPA) 4%
Strawberry Shisha (INAWERA) 1%
Sweet Cream (TPA) 1%
Sweetener (Sucralose/Maltol) (TPA) 0.5%

4 Likes

Looks good!

2 Likes

IMO from my experiences with sweeteners, you only need 1… the Pyure is far superior to the TPA sweetener. At .5% Pyure is all you’ll need. You can add the TPA later if you feel a need to, but I don’t see where it’s needed. Your coils will thank you later. Simpler is sometimes better.

EDIT: I also noticed you increased the Sour by .5%. That also isn’t needed. It kinda cancels out some of the sweetness.

4 Likes

Good point. .5% pyure is very sweet (imo). Its a different kind of sweetness than artificial sweeteners, its hard to describe… But the pyure by itself might very well be plenty.

4 Likes

Thanks for cosigning my comments. I’m known to speak out of turn sometimes, but it’s great when we agree on some things.

1 Like

Just on a side note. Some mixers have a problem mixing @ .2% or lower, but for some flavors it’s really all that’s needed for a slight influence on a mix (what I call the MF zone). But for some flavors (even some TPAs), that’s all that’s needed… coconut extra being a prime example (it’s not very forgiving).

2 Likes

You are right. I need to remember that mixing is similar in concept to cooking. Sometimes a little of a spice goes a long way. Thank you for the advice and tips. I appreciate any and all the help I can get. There is a lot to mixing well and a fairly decent learning curve, but if I can find 1 or 2 mixes that we like enough to vape, we can stop buying juice and experiment with and learn more about mixing.

1 Like

As you implied earlier…sometimes less is more. I have always applied that to playing music, but it seems as it would apply to mixing at times too.

2 Likes

Continue bearing the comments after your post I quoted (but before my reply here) in mind, as I think they offer sound advice. But having read through all the comments before replying (this time), I’m actually quite surprised that no one has suggested what I’m about to.

Personally, you’re attempting what I would consider a “dual lead note” mix. In so much as, if it were me, I would want to taste the strawberry on equal footing with the Pina Colada portion. That’s a bit tougher to do than just an ordinary single flavor lead, and secondary notes.

I would probably suggest nailing down the Pina Colada aspect first, as the strawberry will be easier to balance into it later. That’s just me though, and YMMV. :wink:

The other key thing that I wanted to mention was that to my taste buds you have the emphasis on the wrong strawberries. (But I only suggest this from a gut impression that you haven’t done any SF testing -or I doubt you would be having some of the issues you’re experiencing/asking about. Please Forgive me if I’m wrong about that) Anyways, my suggestion would be to try the following with regards to the strawberry aspect:

Strawberry (Ripe) (TPA) 2%
Strawberry (TPA) 2%
Strawberry Shisha (INAWERA) 3%

Shisha is a much brighter “star of the show” (taste-wise), and I would use 1.5% FA strawberry with it instead of the two TFA. But… as above, and since we already know you have those three in stock, I would say keep them there as your accents, and dial the Ina up to let it take it’s ‘rightful place’ (doing the heavy lifting for the strawberry portion). :wink:

Again, just my thoughts!

3 Likes

You would actually be correct in your assumption that I have not tested all my single flavors. The strawberries would be included in those. I am new to mixing and this recipe was based off of one I found on this site. That said, I do understand the need to test each flavor individually, but I have not taken the time to do all of the flavors I have. I guess I was trying to cheat the learning curve. I was hoping to be able to learn from other’s recipes and flavor notes, at least enough to find a couple of juices that would fill the gap until I could test and experiment more. I just need to stop paying for commercial juice, it is way too expensive.

I actually have a couple of other strawberries as well. I like strawberry. Lol. I have Sweet Strawberry (Cap) and Sweet Strawberry (Jungle Flavors) as well. I am planning to mix a couple of versions of this today, so I will try adjusting the strawberry and see what works best for me. I am open to anything in order to achieve a good result.

Hopefully once we get moved and settled in, I can find the time to test all of my single flavors (I will need a lot more small bottles…lol). In your opinion, what is the best method to test single flavors (at least a starting point)?

2 Likes

I’m not sprks but I’ll throw in my 2 cents. For sf testing I usually read any notes that there might be to get an idea about the flavor and then land somewhere around the median single flavor recommendation. I make 15ml testers usually, which gives me plenty to test along the way. I try to test the first time within a day, then at 1-2 weeks and again at a month. I’m not always very disciplined when it comes to sf testing but that’s my general routine.

4 Likes

Surprisingly that thread starts off with a Pina Colada mix.

Also here are a few other ideas.

2 Likes

Thank you. 15ml testers doesn’t lead to a lot of wasted supplies? Do you mix with the same vg/pg % you use in your juices with no nic or use something else as a base?

2 Likes

Not too much waste. A little bit but unless a flavor is bad I usually end up vaping most of it. I do testers at the same pg/vg/nic as the rest of my mixes.
I also save my sf testers and tank/drip mix them sometimes. That helps eliminate more waste too.

7 Likes

Absolutely, and I totally get that! :thumbsup:
You have to have things to get you by while you learn! Take things in the order you need to (of course). Some never SF test flavors, and that’s perfectly fine too. It’s all about doing what fits your needs, in ways that work for you.

Since you mention this, I would recommend exchanging the TFA strawberry (keep Ripe) for the Cap sweet strawberry, as those two are a very common pairing that many mixers have enjoyed over the years.

You can find my thoughts here:

Hope it helps!

6 Likes

Thank you for the link about testing, some good info there.

If I swap Sweet SB Cap for the TPA will it the same % mix apply? SB Ripe 2%, Sweet SB Cap 2%, and Shisha 3%?

2 Likes

Yes. Most people who use that combo (TFA ripe/Cap sweet) seem to prefer a 1:1 ratio.

So keep the 2% numbers the same in this case. :wink:

2 Likes

Thank you very much.

2 Likes

Mixed the first test batch today. Thank you all for the input. Once it has steeped a bit, I will report back on where it is at. @Pro_Vapes @VapeyMama @CallMeTut @Sprkslfly @TheTinMan1 You all rock!

5 Likes