VV/VW boards - are there any DIY projects?

Thank you, glad you responded. Well im from a country that has them very regulated and expensive to buy that it makes them impractical and mainly an attraction to tourists. So me and 2 friends decided that maybe we can build them for ourselves and a few others for cheaper. the enclosure weve decided can be a custom, larger one but thats about as far as weve gotten. I am very determined to see this project through and was wondering if maybe you can help a bit? these next few weeks im going to be doing research on the subjects that matter to mod builds. my end goal is a diy regulated mod in a unique enclosure for as economic as possible. i have a po box service that can mail me packages from the us so thats a big help itself, except not vapes or juices from both countries due to bans or ridiculously high import/export taxes. But chips, arduinos, or whatever components i need get through easily.

3 Likes

Fair enough, that sounds like a good reason to build your own.
If aou want to go cheap Iā€™d go straight PWM. First of all, itā€™s all you really need. Batteries in, set voltage on pot and fire.

These boards a not so expensive and all you need is an enclosure, a fire button, 510 connector, something to hold and connect the batteries. They are rock solid but some people donā€™t like the noise theyā€™re making. But I canā€™t hear it anymore so no problem for me.
Iā€™ve built one of those:

Thatā€™s all you need on one board. Battery clips, PWM module, connectors for display, fire button and 510 connector. Drback for me is that you have to charge the batteries outsire the mod.
I still have a SmartPWM board around somewhere. These boards are a bit more expensive but they use buttons to change the power and not pots. And donā€™t underestimate the ā€œsmall partsā€ youā€™re going to need. In vape shops you pay premium for simple displays, fire buttons etc. so better look in electronics stores like mouser.

2 Likes

Thank you, ill be responding weekly more or less updating on my progress for anybody interested, btw im medium novice at programming, soldering, and 3d printing so lets see how long this will take.

3 Likes

If you have access to a 3d printer, there are a lot of mod parts ready to download for free from thingyverse like battery holders, display frames etc.
Arduino is not so useful for mods, there are much smaller boards available. Not sure if youā€™ve used a good PWM mod for sub ohm vaping yet but for me this is a quality of vape I donā€™t get from electronically regulated mods.
Thereā€™s also a big community of people who like unregulated mods where you get the full power of the battery. I personally believe these people have a death wish or something.

3 Likes

yea i have 2 3d printers, ender 3 and a resin 3d printer. ive printed maybe like 2 successful things and then failed 4 others and got frustrated and put it away for a while lol. yea i do not want to mess with unregulated at all, i wanna gift a few of the ones i make to family and friends so i need to emulate a regulated mod as close as possible. ive looked into microcontrollers and how to program them but got lost quickly, there are sites that make pcb boards for cheap, and i need to look into an all parts list or schematic to build a chip or something.

3 Likes

No problem, I can see the need for regulated mods but the boards are probably starting at around 30 quid (UK Pounds).
Build a PWM and let me know what you think. My PWM boards ll died (I think they were iPWM from Big Al) and I reluctantly went back to normal regulated mods. Until I found the Vaporesso with the pulse mode.
Oh man now I have to go through my old stuff if i still have everything for a working PWM mod. I think thereā€™s a SmartPWM around but itā€™s an older version, not the recent one.

4 Likes

Micro-Controller Mod (breaktru.com)

found this 10 year old forum post and the guy literally built his own regulated mod in 2012! At least thats what i think. that is exactly what im trying to do, and yea for sure i am going to start with pwn mods first then move on from there.

4 Likes