Websites that track your every move are mainstream

Just so you know…

8 Likes

It’s getting worse and more accepted generation after generation since it’s what people are born in to.
Just wait until our thoughts are monitored when smart devices interact with our brains. What a nightmare that will be.

2 Likes

Its like what Orwell warned just before he died…“don’t let it happen.” But we did. People will line up to be micro-chipped like dogs because they are told its cool. Not this old man.

4 Likes

Owning a cell phone is the equivalent they don’t even need GPS to track you so turning it off really does not matter. Google/Apple push ads based on where you’ve been or where you are close to.

3 Likes

Or our cars that track virtually everywhere you go in excruciating details. Got an email telling us that tire pressure was low on left rear. How “convenient” huh?

4 Likes

Yep. It’s already happened and there’s no going back and every one of us have given them permission!

3 Likes

I use Firefox and https://noscript.net and a few other things. For most sites use an alias when it’s not involving financial info. Google and amazon are just bad news and do not stay logged in to either when doing web searches although the crap does still run in your browser. If you have Comcast/spectrum search for their opt out policy. So yes, instead of opting in for possible reduced rate, they are generating revenue on top of what you pay them. It was unknown to me until one day I started getting ads on new kindle related to what someone else was searching on a different device. So it’s no longer just your browser to worry about but your ip too. If your cable is included you’re shit out of luck for opting out. It scares me, but I grew up a fourth before computers were mandatory for modern living.

2 Likes

VPN is your friend.

4 Likes
2 Likes

Would a VPN help circumvent shady behavior like blocking or redirection if ISP’s get their way with Net Neutrality?

2 Likes

Yes sir it is.

2 Likes

@ffrank Sad but true, born in to.

2 Likes

@mrpipes Funny you’d mention that, as I was talking with co-workers today about the amount of overt, and covert tracking on basically ALL smart phones at this point. Apple’s doing it, Google (Android’s) doing it, even Microsloth has tried to get in on it. Even when you turn on all privacy safeguards and turn off all collection activities, it continues. We were debating, why chip’m, they’l carry them around on their own ?? !!!

2 Likes

@mrpipes Didn’t you hear, it ADDS to the Cust. EXPERIENCE !!!

:frowning:

1 Like

Right. I wonder how much of that $35K “car” goes for monitoring services. When I get a notice that I farted at such and such GPS coordinates while going x MPH at such and such time I’l just drive the fucker through the dealers showroom windows.

4 Likes

Well not all VPN’s are created equal, and there are a fuck-ton of providers. Some are very basic and some are more advanced with features like anti-virus and such. But regardless of level they all do one thing very well. They provide anonymity.
As far as blocking and redirecfs, you may need to shop around for a VPN with those features.

3 Likes

I live out in the boonies and can only get wireless which is crappy . I tried Avast’s VPN but it made everything even slower. Is there another alternative ?

1 Like

if ISP’s succeed in getting the Net Neutrality laws overturned then, IMHO having a VPN won’t do much good any more because those VPN providers will be subject to the modified laws they will have to exist under…or cease to exist alltogether.
Fuckin scary shit man!

2 Likes

Ive been reading about it but sometimes ask myself why bother. I try to talk to people and all I get is dumb looks and blank stares. Fuckin scary shit is absolutely right. Gets a little worse every day and people don’t even seem to know or give a shit.

2 Likes

Not that I’m recommending or condoning such an action… (The comment is too funny to pass up)

You just said you got that email!
Just because they didn’t include your gps and mph data (you know they have it)… They did notify you that your tire farted (lost air pressure). :flushed:

2 Likes