What Coil Build do you prefer?

I like alien claptons of framed staple aliens (Fraliens). I just put a new Fralien in one of my ED’s tonight.

Here’s a few others I made-

I just started making my own “exotic” wires this year. My goal was to be able to do aliens and fraliens. I was making them within a couple of months. If I can do it, I bet most of you can too. If people saw my build station they’d laugh.

6 Likes

Very nice work! I’m so jealous. I cannot make an alien to save my life much less a fralien. I’ve stopped trying because it’s a waste of wire and too much anxiety brings Mr Hyde out. :no_entry_sign:

4 Likes

Sometimes, a single wire, is all it takes. Hehe, well TWO single wires that is.

I’ve received a few questions about the lazy simple wire coiling and flavor sucking …

5 Likes

24 gauge simple round SS builds are all I usually run…I swear ive tried every coil available and the simple build a little spaced always gives me the best flavor

5 Likes

Just curious. How much wire did you waste before you were able produce those coils consistently?

3 Likes

Ahhhhh, I am simple. I only do either 26 - 28 Ga SS316L round wire, SS316L mtl clapton (have not made my own yet, but have everything to do it… just waiting to finish the 3 rolls of commercial clapton I have), or 26 - 28 Ga Kanthal.

All depends on my mood, the atty and whether I want wattage or TC as to what I use.

2 Likes

It’s hard to say. When I first started in July, I was wasting about half my line which is 12 inch lengths. I can get three good 6 wrap aliens out of that amount now. Before, I was messing up a lot and was lucky to get one good coil out of it.

I think I got 100 foot rolls of 26and 28ga , along with 250 foot rolls of 36 and 38ga. I got good at it fairly quickly. I studied videos on YouTube by N.Devine83. He’s an awesome teacher. Some people don’t like his vids because they’re long but I don’t care. Anyways, I’m still working on those first rolls.

Once you get you drill and swivels (or swivel post) set up and have them both clamped down, things get easier. After that you can concentrate on tension and angle. I fly right through them now. Good swivels made things go smooth.

3 Likes