What do you do as a profession?

Long and varied, that would aptly describe my work life.
Started out in the Navy, signalman (go ahead, get the skivvy waver jokes a run). Then, after getting a medical discharge from being nailed by an errant fire hose (long story short, never put a SR on nozzle man, especially if they don’t have a grip. I was the lead hoseman, it hit me up side the head and neck, did some damage.) I went into plumbing. After many years we moved to Alabama, which has a messed up Union for all plumbers (you don’t get a choice about joining), I moved on to insulation, of all kinds. I became the residential director within a year, then the company was moved, I decided to stay (we have 5 kids, who were all in school at the time). I opened my own business after that. Pinestraw. We had a huge demand and high quality standards, but eventually, the growers (of the pines) priced us out of business. They wanted 2/3 of our retail price. So I closed the doors. I went to work for a recycling company processing auto shredder residue. I was in charge of the rubber/plastics division.
I worked there for over a decade and a half, until eventually the stress of rebuilding those shredders got to me (if you would like to know what type of shredder, just look up “SSI quad 100 shredder in action” on YouTube. I ran 3 of them) my back gave out. I had 4 stress fractured vertebra, 5 blown discs and 3 pinched nerves.
It took 3 years before I could walk without assistance.
Now, I’m basically retired, I run 3 small businesses from home. One is mixing juices for shops and my own retail sales. (thinking of releasing some of those recipes, they’re not well known or complex. Have some that I’ve created with more knowledge under my belt that I feel are bordering on premium)
I also operate a dozer (D-6) and trackhoe (cat 320) for some builders.
Last but not least, I grow rare herbs and spices in my greenhouse, for some local restaurants.
Not an exciting life, but I was able to raise 5 kids, keep my wife interested in my ugly ass and pay for our home (in full! no mortgage here).
One day I’ll grow up, but I doubt it’ll be before my 12 grandkids do!

11 Likes

I’m a Registered Nurse :grin: I love doing acrylic and oil paintings for fun and enjoy gardening!

11 Likes

@LordVapor, just looking at this thread, saw your post from last year. I was a Toolmaker for 34 yrs. & I’m 40 mile east of Indy. Worked in Indy for a LONG time.

5 Likes

Hey all, I’m new here to the forum side of things and figured I would chime in on this one. I am a logger, yes the kind that cuts down trees. I own a small forestry company in the North East with my father. In my spare time I do e-juice and device reviews on YouTube and during the rest of my spare time, the little I have, I spend it with my beautiful fiancé and our one year old!
Thanks for the topic! I love seeing what everyone does in our not so “little” community of vapers…

9 Likes

You are so talented!!! Beautiful work! I love looking at illustrations.

You might get asked this a lot, but have you condidered doing a greyscale coloring book? I know that the coloring book market is saturated right now. But not as much in greyscale. There are basically 2 kinds, photographs of assorted topics to color, and fantasy illustrations; fairies, dragons, witches, etc… I am not complaining, I have several fantasy illustrated coloring books! I have taken up coloring as a hobby. I am not good at illustrating myself anymore, and never had this level of talent!!

I am a graphic designer. Currently disabled. To keep up with the infustry, I do free volunteer design work for charities, organizations I like, small businesses owned by friends who couldn’t otherwise afford it. I like being able to do it when I am feeling my best, usually in the middle of the night in my PJ’s. I also let the people know that it will take longer than paying someone, because I just can’t sit at the computer for long. Also, I can’t do it everyday on a schedule. If they have a deadline, I need lots of advance notice. But, I love doing it! It helps out so many great causes. I want to go back to working in design again, so I need to keep my skills sharp!

5 Likes

That is awesome!

2 Likes

I am a major Thaetre junkie! We try to see as many of the touring shows as possible in Hershey, Scranton or Philly. Every once in a while, even a Broadway show. The majority of volunteer design work I do is for High school musicals and local theatre groups.

3 Likes

Thank you @GPC2012!

Thank you Jenny. I try my best, however I’ve never considered making coloring books. I know a few months ago adult coloring books were hitting the market like crazy. I saw them everywhere. Some of the titles are really funny and it is something definitely worth considering.

It is great to meet another creative and graphic design is such a great field. I work in the Fine Arts & Graphic Design department - so I know the hard work it takes. A big heartfelt appreciation to you for your ability to still create regardless of your disability. It’s not easy sitting at the table hunched over for hours making a design. From conception to finish - it can be mentally and physically draining. Do you have a link to some of work online?

3 Likes

Wow you have been through quite a journey. It’s awesome that you were able to find so many passions to move forward with in your life that you enjoy now. Also - 12 grand kids! Bless your heart.

3 Likes

I actually don’t :frowning: I was in the process of setting up a whole new brand and website for freelance work when I had to go on disability. In order to keep my disability, I can’t do any paid work. So, I took everything off the internet to not look like I am taking paid jobs. Everything I do is just advertised by word of mouth. But the free price helps a lot too! Lol! I can find some files from my computer to show you later.

Yes, the coloring book trend kind of went crazy! I really enjoy the grayscale books, but there isn’t a lot of variety in the styles.

It’s really cool that you get to do design and illustration! That’s impressive!

2 Likes

Thank you so much! That means a lot. Very few people understand.

2 Likes

Girl I get it. TRUST.

2 Likes

For the last 8 years I have been working for SonicElectronix.com as a Merchandising Manager. Before that I spent 22 years in the Printing Industry as a Production Artist.

4 Likes

There is a story over the weekend from Jacksonville where a pole dancer was swinging on the pole and had violent diarrhea. Then it was a chain reaction shit fest in the strip club along with vomit everywhere, shit on the walls, urinals, floor, toilet.

4 Likes

Florida has the strangest shit to happen.

5 Likes

Probably the worst story I’ve heard about.

2 Likes
2 Likes

@Leilani thank you. They are my favorite part of getting “negative young” :smile:

1 Like

“Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don’t mind, it doesn’t matter.”
– Mark Twain

7 Likes

Wow some really interesting occupations and life stories here.
After 48 years in construction I have decided that I have had enough fun for one lifetime, so have retired.
Now I look at forums like this, mix, vape and fix up my run down old house.

5 Likes