What is Saline?

Yeah, truly with my SS 316 coils, the test batches I have made aren’t showing signs of major corrosion yet, I made two quick “Shake and Vapes” last night and have been pounding them in my dripper (since there is good air flow) for the last 10 hours or so (minus four and a half hours of sleep - thank the new puppy for that shortfall).

I’m going to continue to monitor this though, and I have the chef on speed dial (he’s my uncle) so if I ever have a question on the culinary chemistry part of things - I have a resource in that corner. On the medical side… not so much so I’ll rely on your expertise there @Amy2

:pray:

2 Likes

Very true. And while some things like saline may be rather benign when used temporarily, such as @amy2 examples, who’s to say the effects of inhaling over extended periods, moreover what are you inhaling after applying heat? Many people don’t realize that Dihydrogen Monoxide is necessary to sustaining life, but too much of it will kill you!

Now where’s that tongue-in-cheek emoticon?

2 Likes

IT SHOULD BE BANNED! BANNEDEDED!!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

What is the link between Dihydrogen Monoxide and school violence?

A recent stunning revelation is that in every single instance of violence in our country’s schools, including infamous shootings in high schools in Denver and Arkansas, Dihydrogen Monoxide was involved. In fact, DHMO is often very available to students of all ages within the assumed safe confines of school buildings. None of the school administrators with which we spoke could say for certain how much of the substance is in use within their very hallways.

Unfortuantely as soon as I read that paragraph I had a wtf moment… that is one of the most bizarre statements I have read today and I have facebook so I have read plenty of weird things today.

3 Likes

I won’t even start…

2 Likes

Thanks @zigz The sodium and chlorine are very tightly bound molecularly speaking and your 600-degree-max vaporizer is less than 1/4 of the heat required to split NaCl and free chlorine. If you have ever vaped a commercial juice you have already vaped saline. The metals in your coil vaporize into a gas at lower temperatures. Plus you would taste chlorine gas instantly and the free sodium would combine with water in your saliva to make LYE. it ain’t happening…

4 Likes

@Amy2 I hope you know by now I have all the respect in the world for you and your knowledge.

BUT

I have to disagree with saline causing stainless steel to rust or deteriorate. I have been using it in my Lemo tanks for a good while now (almost a year)and I see no signs of this at all.

Also

As a young lad in the US Navy I worked in the evening(a side job) on a fleet of fishing boats welding on the stainless steel spools that the cables for the fishing nets wound in on. These spools would wear down from the cables rubbing on them during there time at sea and need to be built back up before there next trip out. Often times they were worn half way thru and had been exposed to sea water for 1 to 2 months continuously before coming in to be worked on and not once in the 3 years I did this was there any rust on those spools.

My seasonal allergies are full blown right now and I am back to using saline in my juice now and all I can tell you is it helps me a lot.

I do not add it to the recipes as an ingredient on the ELR calculator because to me it does nothing to affect flavor and is something I feel is nothing more than a personal choice to use or not use but again I will point out in very small amounts in my case 0.5 to 1% max works for me.

2 Likes

I have 1 tank that has shown damage , it really is the main tank that I used it in so kinda hard for me to debate. I hear ya thou !

2 Likes

I wonder if it has something to do with the different grades of SS. Possibly a SS grade with a higher content of iron.

All I know is I have 6 Lemo tanks and all of them have been used with saline over the past year. I have not seen any signs of rust or wear. they all still look like they did when new.

I just got a super cheap fastech Kayfun V5 clone and the juice in it has saline so maybe time will tell on this.

3 Likes

Could be the purity of the metals.

3 Likes

3% Saline is 3mls of saline in 97 mls of water. The saline is .9% so that is .9gms of salt in 100 mls of water. So your 3% recipe needs 3mls of .9/100 (3x9/10)/100=2.7/100=.027 or 27mgs of salt in the whole recipe. 3 gms are 3000 mg. you would be putting in 100 times the specs of your recipe.

Here’s what I derived from several hours of googling about saline in eliquid:

Coils do not reach the temperature necessary to break sodium chloride’s molecular bonds. The coil itself would melt before it got that hot.

The saline can enter the vapor since what we call ‘vapor’ is actually an aerosol, as zigz correctly stated above. The juice sizzles, turns into tiny droplets and those droplets will have saline in them.

Salt will enhance many flavors. Just as a guess, it seems like saline would work best with bakery flavors and chocolates. It may change the balance of flavors slightly through enhancing some flavors more than others.

Salt is destructive to many metals because it facilitates oxidization when water is also present. Heat would speed up this reaction. Therefore you would expect saline to cause faster corrosion of the coil wire, so you would need to replace coils more often. How often would probably depend on the amount of saline and the temperatures the coil reaches. As for the atomizer, good stainless s

Increased gunking when saline was used has been reported frequently. If the saline is causing it, then the amount would be dependent on percentage of saline used. Using just a percent or two might be acceptable.

Pros and Cons, hmmm…

What the hell, I’m gonna try it!

2 Likes

Go low 1 drop per 10ml - it can spoil a mix

There’s a reason that salt is added into almost every recipe I can think of, both savory and sweet. Occasionally, when you’re working on a bakery recipe that is almost there, but is just missing that little bit of ‘pop’, saline may be that missing bit of sparkle. Sterile saline solution, get it at a drugstore, or make your own with some distilled water. Just a touch, though. We don’t want to actually taste salt, we want to use it to enhance and accent the flavors that are already there.

3 Likes

Thanks for the reference and the amount to use.

I have that PB Cereal recipe but I couldn’t remember how much saline was used. I was thinking about starting with 1% which would be way more than 1 drop per 10ml.

1 Like

idk if someone said this already or not, but either buy sterile saline solution from the pharmacy or buy pharmaceutical grade salt. otherwise any other salt you buy is going to have an anti caking agent that you don’t want to vape!

1 Like

I dont know why anyone would try making it when it is so cheap at rite-aid for how little you use per recipe. The bottle I bought will last me a life time of recipes with some to spare for intended use on wounds.

1 Like

Yep, got some of that myself.
My wife picked up a can of Arm & Hammer Sterile Saline Wound Wash at a Shopko pharmacy. Ingredients: Distilled Water, Sodium Chloride 0.9% I sprayed some into a measuring cup and filled a 30ml PET bottle.

Or, if you buy from DIY Vapor Supply: Saline Solution 0.9%

1 Like

I totally agree with you and I talked with my Doctor about this well over a year ago. He told me he dose not see any reason it could hurt but to only use the injectable sterile saline solution that you can get from medical supply company’s and some pharmacies. The stuff is pretty cheap so why risk making it yourself.

Inhaling vaporized saline solution is not something new folks. This was one of the ways my seasonal allergies were treated years ago and I am talking late 1950’s early 1960’s. Our family doctor back in those days still made house calls and he would always bring bottles (yea back then it came in glass bottles) of saline for my mother to put in our vaporizer ( the old kind with a heating element) along with Vicks Vapor rub that sat on a stand next to my bed at night blowing the vapor directly at me.

3 Likes

These days we can carry our vaporizer with us, loaded with 1.5% INW Eucalyptus with Mint!

1 Like

my buddy had some eucalyptus essential oil and i was going to take some to dilute in water and spray for bug repellent. i poured about an ounce in an empty bottled water bottle and it melted the plastic completely within 1-2 minutes. it started flowing out and i looked and was totally shocked.