What makes the 'Magic'?.....A discussion on tanks (confused)

What type of build and wire do you use in these tanks? (gauge, wraps, ohms, TC or power mode). Sometimes the tanks are fine, but are you maxing out the tanks potential?

Yes, i was referring to stock coils of these 3 tanks. The main difference between the iSub Apex and the other 2 (apart from the airflow) is the wick which is on the inside of the coil like on most RDA builds. I think the difference in flavor can’t just be explained with the airflow.

Just started with RDAs and still experimenting. I haven’t achieved a coil build i was really happy with yet. Something is always wrong and i rebuild it after 15 hits. Just doing 24AWG single coils at the moment. None of my friends are using RDAs so it’s all trial and error.
Looking to rebuild stock coils, too just to save some money and perhaps to use a different wire. Plenty of stuff on youtube so I’ll give it a go when there are enough old coils to work with.

1 Like

the supreme is on straight forward SS claptons, quite fine, can’t remember exact guage, prob 6 wraps, ID 2.5 maybe, ohms at 0.19 usually run at around 70w in PM
Cloudbeast on SS 316L Twisted 2 x 28agw 7 wraps 2.5mm ID 0.22ohms around 90w on PM
Griffin on straight SS 316L 26agw 6 wraps spaced, 2.5 ID 0.22ohms 90w in PM
I always use PM, I know I should get more into TC and I have tried it a fair bit, with SS and Ti, I just don’t seem to like it as much, don’t know why, you like what you like you know?

1 Like

I only have one of the three you mentioned… the Crown. It was a game changer when it was introduced close to a year and a half ago. It’s still relevant in some circles today. Stock coil technology has evolved tremendously since then. IMO it’s more about design and coil material than airflow with stock coils. I’m not very familiar with the current stock coils, but most appear to have the bottom airflow. Just my opinion, but building your own coils open so many options that you’re sure to find a setup that satisfies your vape needs.

1 Like

I feel Bro… It ain’t for everybody. It can get a bit technical, but when it’s working it makes a big difference IMO. Do what works best for you. I hope you get to where you want @Pugs1970.

2 Likes

I tried to get this basic conversation going last year. I felt like it should be somewhat predictable by looking at the design as to the flavor a given tank would produce. I’m glad you brought this up. Here’s the former discussion. Guide to Complicating Things - Formula for predicting flavor in RTAs

3 Likes

you pretty much brought up the same points as everyone here :thumbsup: nice thread, you’re definitely onto something with the chimney diameter in relation to the chamber diameter condensing the flavour, that coupled with distance the vapour has to travel, it would seem to get what I want it would need a larger than average chamber with a 1/3 of the size chimney and very ‘stumpy’…I’m finding this more interesting the more I’m finding out :thinking::thumbsup:

2 Likes

Yes, I mentioned this about the Theorem when it first came out somewhere in a thread. My problem with the tank was I broke all the glass taking the tank off ( despite lubing it up with VG each time ) but man that thing does have some great flavor push and I forgot all about it.

2 Likes

That’s been my approach thus far, and is (in my case) something that I have to give the largest portion of credit to Matt (SuckMyMod) for. Because, at that point, it was very early on for me, and I’d watched quite a few of his videos, and if it wasn’t for his videos, I wouldn’t know who Jaybo is.

In the video where he and Jaybo talk about it… they cover some of these aspects (chamber size, airflow, etc).

Regardless, being the personality type that is more curious about the science and operation of it, I could care less about what’s popular, and the explanation (as presented) made sense to me. So that’s what led to my trying it.

When I got it, I instantly hated the shortness of the drip tip, and the fact that it was glass too (which I hated the feel of against my teeth) made me automatically look for a replacement. During that search, and under the same mentality (things that choke the airflow = bad) I struggled to find a drip tip that didn’t narrow down at the base. I wanted airflow that was not only unobstructed, but also minimized any interference in the “pathing” as it was leaving the coil. My thought process being that if it’s bouncing off the chimney walls, some of that vapor is bound to get trapped onto that surface (just like when you boil water in a tall glass in the microwave, you have condensation on the sides above the water line) and you’d lose the flavour that you’re trying to get out of the top.

EDIT: What I finally landed on, tip-wise, was a friction-fit tip, that has the same large hole at the base, as it does at the top!

Even though I don’t have nearly the experience, or resources to compare the few I do own against, I still feel there’s something to what I’ve posted above. I also feel that, as nice as the Boreas is in so many other aspects (huge deck, easy to build, easy to wick, MONSTER clouds, “decent” flavor) the flavor sucks by comparison because the chimney is so damned long, and the deck (coils) are so far away from your mouth. This is what made my next step the Limitless Plus.

And between those two (the theorem and the plus) my search is over! Plus for the “carry tank”, and the theorem gets “tasting” (aka quick-swap) duty for both testing purposes, or when I get bored with flavors quickly.

I’ll still get a Troll v2 though… Just because. Lol
And while I still maintain the Cleito is an awesome flavor tank, which gives nice options for those looking to transition from coil buying into coil building (with it’s optional RTA), It’s just become too small for me to bother building on. BUT (on topic) even though it’s got what appears to be a really tall chimney, I think it’s saving grace (what keeps the flavor so awesome on that particular tank) is that, on the stock coils, the coil goes almost halfway up the chimney internally, thus keeping the flavour and airflow quite the straight shot up the pipe (no obstructions/bouncing of air/flavor).

EDIT:
But really, it’s all just theoretical supposition until such time comes that someone with the finances and/or access to the resources comes in and can say “We’re putting all these tanks into a custom built wind tunnel and smoke-testing the airflow patterns!”. If that time comes, best believe I’ll be glued to the tool! Lol

2 Likes

Funny how opinions will vary. The Boreas is a true flavor tank to me. Perhaps the biggest difference has to do with build and method.

4 Likes

You could have something there too! Build suggestions for me for a “revisit”? I’d love to like it even more! =)

So far, I’ve tried both single core SS 26/24ga, and well as SS claptoned 26/36ga (at at 2.85mm id).

2 Likes

I’ve only used dual Ti builds with them. 22ga 7 wraps spaced and 3mm ID. TC set to 510F and 100 watts.

3 Likes

Will try bumping the id then. Otherwise, that’s way too hot and too much power for my tastes! Lol

That could be another difference though… I typically run mine around the 40-60w range, and around 440-460F.

2 Likes

And to me, with my build, that would be a very, very anemic vape. Hey, if you notice the prior thread of mine that I linked to, at the time I was hitting the Subtank Mini, Goblin Mini, Joyetech Delta II. My tastes have certainly changed since then. But back then my temp and power was pretty much what you descibe.

4 Likes

I agree with your comments. The Boreas is a beastly tank and should be built and vaped in a beastly manner. I run a similar build as you and I find it works best above 550F and 75W or more.

I know vaping like this isn’t for everyone, but if you’re not happy with how it’s currently performing, try the Ti and cranking it up a bit.

Also heat hasn’t been a issue.

JMHO…

4 Likes

Now I want a Boreas tank!..when will it end!..:weary:

2 Likes

My personal guess would be, NEVER :smile:

3 Likes

Good coils, close to the ‘chimney’ - close to the tip, good airflow = good flavor.

The Mage RTA beats the panties off of many so called great flavor attys. And y’know, the Cleito with the RTA installed isn’t too shabby either.

3 Likes

One discussion was air hole positioning at the coil/wick. A quick test is possible with the Smok TF-RDTA where the air flow is right at the coils. You can mount the coils low or raise them up. I found raising the coils worked best and often the advice is to mount them lowest to the air intake.

Ha and I know you guys think I must work for Joyetech, but you could just get an Ultimo. Even tho the build deck looks anemic (MG RTA rebuildable coil) I build with Geekvape SS fused Clapton wire (5-6 wraps 3.5 ID and Ti 22ga 3.5 ID. While a single coil it has what is described above …a short wide chimney and an unrestricted airflow.

2 Likes

I guess this thread came out 20 minutes late.

I just bought a TFV8 Baby with a 5 Pack of T8 Coils… and I bought the build deck too.

(Because so many youtube reviewers said the flavor was better)

…except you have to vape at higher wattage with the T8 (Octo Coil)

vapinwithtwisted says the .4 Dual is the better coil to him because you can go a lot lower wattage and the flavor is still all there because it’s a short tank…

My Cleito’s are starting to leak a bit, these aren’t supposed to leak.

Would love any opinions on this tank specifically?

1 Like