What're you listening to?

I was a bit of a wild child. I lived in a typical 80’s dysfunctional abusive home, replete with mandatory church attendance 3x a week. I actually had to read and discuss Tipper Gore’s “Raising PG Kids In An X-Rated Society” after forgetting to hide my Suicidal Tendencies shirt. Sneaking to shows and jumping into pits was a much more productive release for Teen Angst than some of the other stupid shit I did(Drinking, drugs, blowing shit up, self-harm, yada, yada)

2 Likes

Nice! I was at a Verbal Assault show and watched/helped a pit just POUND the ever living shit out of a rather large, obnoxiously drunk guy. Dude was wearing the typical 80’s leather metal jacket with the two inch spikes in the shoulders and wrist cuffs, standing with his arms outstretched a’la crucifix-style, spinning in the opposite direction of the pit. The lead singer was yelling at the bouncer to remove the guy, but the bouncer was too busy getting his winky wet or something. After a couple of tries, the lead singer said “fuck it, y’all know what to do!” With that, the band started in with a really slow, thumping, bone-crunching beat. The next thing I know, crucifix guy is in the middle of a slowly circling wave of pissed off people. The lead singer let out a yowl and the whole pit pounced. Crucifix guy went to the floor, his jacket went whizzing over my head, and all I can hear is the muttered yelps of pain over a hard and fast grinding guitar. The bouncer finally showed up, dug into the center of the “meat grinder” and yanked the drunk off the floor. I don’t know what happened to the guy but I imagine he didn’t pull a stunt like that anytime soon!

3 Likes

Ouch, that would suck!

1 Like
5 Likes

Oooooh!!! I’ve never heard of them, but I’m digging that song!! Thanks @Gambit117!!!

2 Likes
2 Likes
1 Like

Not too shabby! It’s got a kinda “When the Levee Breaks” vibe to it.

2 Likes

I tried to post a few I thought would be slightly lesser known ones :grin:

1 Like

Most should know this 1, just maybe not from this band…but I personally think I like this version more than the original

3 Likes

I love how this 1 showcases 2 of the greatest voices that ever lived

3 Likes
1 Like

Yeah I’m not advocating drugs here. I smoked weed. Was about the extent for me. Hell it grows wild in the ditches here but still illegal. Anyway Jack Daniels was my poison but I learned early on to limit myself. I always wanted to remember…everything. Hell I’ve seen so many drunks puking on themselves passed out at shows and thought… they aren’t gonna remember any of it.
And church…omg. Sounds like my life growing up. But my mandatory was 4x’s a week. Sunday morning, night, Weds and Thur choir. Ha!!! Daddy was a deacon and well if you can’t handle your children you can’t hold office in a church. Never was into the self harm either. My dad did a good enough job of that on his own.
I was allowed to go to Christian rock concerts surprisingly but you can bet they weren’t the traditional ones. Cornerstone in Chicago was amazingly fun. A friend saw your Flogging Molly there but in a different year than when I went. He loved 'em.
Here’s an example of what I call my Sunday school music… lol!

Ronnie James Dio :open_mouth:

LOL ! Was fun listening to these again. I remember most of the organized church called this stuff “of the devil.” But I was never one to be of the majority. One serious band I saw in St Louis was really good and is the church Mr Justin Bieber goes to now. I guess if he was gonna leave his tour he picked a good one. Maybe I’ll start posting my church songs here on Sunday mornings. xD Sorry if it offends anyone.

3 Likes

I went to a three days grace, breaking Benjamin, and flyleaf concert about 10yrs ago. I had backstage passes and got to meet all the bands. That little Lacey from flyleaf can really wail :joy: I got them all to sign stuff too…

3 Likes

Ohhh nice!!! Love her and yes I love her screamo! Bet she was cool to hang with. I saw Three Days with Seether a couple years ago. I went to see Seether but they were the back up band. Good concert!
Love the Queen song you posted. And agree he has one of the best voices in rock history hands down. I also posted same Shinedown song here somewhere and it didn’t get one like. LMAO! WTF??? :rofl:
Heres one of my fav Freddie songs.

3 Likes

Was it before Adam left the band? I saw them again around 5 yrs ago, right before they split up.

1 Like

Nope Matt Walst was frontman then. July of 2015.

1 Like

I liked Adam when he was in the band. His solo stuff, not so much :joy:

2 Likes

To be honest I wanted to leave after Seether but the peeps I was with wanted to stay for Three Days Grace. I like a few of their songs.

They remind me of Skillet a bit except for the female singer. I saw them a few times and met them.

2 Likes

I don’t know why Evanescence got the christian music label-trying to get some initial buzz, perhaps? I haven’t thought about Stryper in years! When I was getting into metal(Metallica, Megadeth, Motorhead, Anthrax…) my stepmom bought me Stryper’s first album for my birthday. She was trying to be the “cool mom” while keeping her feet firmly planted in her beliefs. I tried to like it, but they were too “puffy-haired” for my musical tastes, so I used the tape to dub a copy King Diamond’s Them(I know, I know…one puffy haired band for another…)It was so over-the-top full of some of the corniest damn lyrics, tho!

Most of my tapes had to be hidden, and God forbid if I labelled them! I can’t tell you how many copies of Bad Religion’s How Could Hell Be Any Worse? were tossed into the garbage. There were quite a few cassettes that I wound up digging out of the trash at 0230 on a Saturday night! Thankfully, the attic access was in my room, so I kept most of my tapes under the insulation batting.

4 Likes