What's your favorite wire for building coils?

Ive been seeing some use of 304 SS lately. Anyone working with it? I love my 316L/317L wire but im always open to trying some new stuff, if the price is right.

Linky poo for reference.

Vertical coil for the Lemo gunks up quick ā€¦I abandoned it and went back to reg micro coil setup ā€¦itā€™s better ā€¦FYI

Once I get more thin wire, I will rebuild all my atties with fused claptons, including KFL, lol. Iā€™m a big clapton fan now!

2 Likes

For me the Clapton is definitely gave me the best vape I ever had. If I could Iā€™d put them in all my devices. If you havenā€™t tried one you should give it a try, you wonā€™t be disappointed.

2 Likes

That square wire look cool and seems to have good performance. I must look into that. Thank for the link.

I looked into it and dang, itā€™s expensive.

1 Like

I start my first builds next week. Iā€™ve seen you mention titanium I think, see if Iā€™m ordering kanthal what should I be looking out for or is it all the same?

You probably want to start with Kanthal. Itā€™s not too expensive and it performs well. Probably the 28 gauge would best for a starter. The other types of wire usually have a higher resistance and usually are for more experienced coil builders. If you can afford it, get a Coil Master, it will make winding coils real simple. I wish I had started with one. Make sure you check your ohms after you complete a build. I watched a lot of coil building videos on YouTube also. They have a lot of beginner videos.

2 Likes

Just built my first Clapton coil with all this talk of them lately! Turned out pretty good ā€¦threw it on my Lemo drop .47 ohm ā€¦wow ā€¦I mean wowā€¦I donā€™t put nic in my juice anymore and use 65/35 vg/pg but got a wicked throat hit I havenā€™t got in quite a while

1 Like

WTG, I made my 3rd last night. They are some great coils.

To expensive for me, i have enough wire to last the rest of my life. If i buy any more im afraid ill wake up missing a hand.

2 Likes

I share your Sentiments. Cool looking wire tho. I tried your Strawnana Custard, Great Stuff!! Itā€™s now in rotation.

1 Like

This stuff is in toothpaste. I work with this stuff everyday handling 50kg bags. Been doing it over 20yrs.

Section 3: Hazards Identification
Potential Acute Health Effects: Slightly hazardous in case of skin contact (irritant), of eye contact (irritant), of ingestion, of
inhalation.
Potential Chronic Health Effects:
CARCINOGENIC EFFECTS: A4 (Not classifiable for human or animal.) by ACGIH, 3 (Not classifiable for human.) by
IARC. MUTAGENIC EFFECTS: Mutagenic for mammalian somatic cells. TERATOGENIC EFFECTS: Not available.
DEVELOPMENTAL TOXICITY: Not available. The substance may be toxic to lungs, upper respiratory tract. Repeated or
prolonged exposure to the substance can produce target organs damage.

Thank you, glad you enjoy! :smile:

1 Like

Are there any pictures posted of this coil. Iā€™d like to see it. Can you link it?

3rd video in the first post, TwistedMesses video:

:smile:

I checked out that video and made one. I not sure if unwound it enough or too much. I just figured Iā€™d stop where I was at. Do you think I need to unwind it more?
Iā€™m trying figure out what I want to mount it in. I may do a vertical with it.

2 Likes

Dunno, it looks good :smiley: @Aux, what do you say? :smiley:

Looks awesome

I have twisted my wires until they snapped, but your looks good too.

From what Iā€™ve read 100% Titanium (Grade 1) wire produces that white dust (Titanium Dioxide), when its dry fired. If you donā€™t dry fire it, Itā€™s okay to use. Titanium Dioxide is a substance that I have worked with for over 20 yrs on my job and itā€™s really not bad in very small doses. I have inhaled this one way or another almost daily in volumes thatā€™s well beyond that which dry firing will produce. Also from my experience some people have a sensitivity to Titanium Dioxide. I have seen at least 2 cases of this in 20+ yrs. But as with anything too much is not good for you. If more info is needed read this thread I found on ECF.

1 Like