18650 that stinks?!?

I had a blonde moment and grabbed the wrong 2 spare batteries on the way out the door and of course the were the dead ones not the charged ones so I popped into a local vape shop to buy a battery I bought a 25r for 18.99 (ouch) I just took that battery out to charge it and noticed it has a very strong odour that my other batteries do not have? Why does it stink like that should I throw it out?

it was used in a vibrator previously

6 Likes

lol ewwww I hope not

1 Like

An acrid burnt odor? or a bad food odor? If it’s an acrid burnt odor it may be shorted and you don’t want to use it. Then again, you’ve been using it and nothing happened, right? Give it a good visual inspection and check for the usual wrap issues. Any chance you may have some juice on it and it just heated up? Check your mod for any loose bits of wire that may have fallen in. Maybe a bit of wick or lint even.

3 Likes

An Acrid burnt odour… I used it all day and it seemed just fine I was going to charge it when I noticed the very odd smell so its sitting in the box it came in as I didnt want to pop it in the charger if something was wrong… visually it looks just like any other 25r there are no tears in the wrap or visible damage not swollen it just stinks

1 Like

A acrid burnt odor is a very bad sign. You were wise not to use it and I would try and take it back to the shop that sold it.
https://support.johnsoncreeksmokejuice.com/hc/en-us/articles/204913734-18650-Battery-Safety-and-Best-Practices

3 Likes

I agree with @BoyHowdy You should return it to the shop.

2 Likes

They sold you garbage that would explain the smell. Take it back and hope they will stand behind it and not give you the run around.

2 Likes

When i first read the heading i figured it would probably be ozone. Which is that odd electronics/hospital smell but it doesn’t hurt anything. Yet after reading the full post i agree with everyone else. I’d try to return it bc it was a rip-off in the 1st place 19$ wtf!

1 Like

yup. Toss it.

1 Like

lol yeah I agree on the ripoff but its actually a fairly normal price around here (which is why I order online). I will bring them their stinky battery though and hopefully they take it back if they dont oh well at least ive made them aware there is an issue.

3 Likes

They should be willing to swap it out. Hopefully.

2 Likes

hopefully they take it back if not it’s not a big deal I have about 10 of them all under a month old I only bought it cause I was running on a dead battery while I was out and my spares were dead…

Most people never give much thought to the things that can kill you. Well aside from the obvious - trucks, bullets, a razor, a pissed off spouse, a nervous cop, water, etc. But a battery seems like such an innocent thing until it turns into a miniature thermonuclear reactor on meltdown. It’s amazing how fast those things can turn your day to shit. If the store won’t take it back or replace it, leave it on their counter and walk out! Oh, and tell them to take a good look at your butt while your leaving because it’s the last time they’ll see it :slight_smile:

12 Likes

I wouldn’t leave it on the counter those shisty f’ers prob resell it. I’d go in there ranting and raving like its the apocalypse. Might even get an up sell like a cool tank lol.

2 Likes

I’ve always found that you can’t fix crazy…but you can placate it. LOL

6 Likes

I will bet it’s a clone. It may even be a store re-wrap.
You will learn a lot about ‘that’ store when you take it to return it.
By any means, did you check the charge level when you first put it in the mod?
18650’s undergo strict QC from the 4 mfg’s that make them. If you still have it,
check the appearance with your other bats…closely.

3 Likes

And when placating doesn’t work…you can divorce it! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

More times than I care to admit, brother!

1 Like