20700 batteries-Gimmick or worth it?

So, in keeping up with new mods coming out, I see that iJoy is coming out with this Captain mod that will be running 20700 batteries. Looks like @Whiterose0818 also makes mods using these batteries. So is my stock of 18650 and 26650 batteries going to become totally obsolete in the near future? Anyone running these that has an opinion on how much better they are?

2 Likes

Every manmade thing eventually becomes obsolete, some is planned, some is not.

18650 cells have many applications other than vape mod batteries.

5 Likes

This is true… I use my iffy 18650’s in my headlights and flashlights at the theatre; use’m til they completely take a poop. :smirk:

2 Likes

Yup, as well as applications in vehicular battery packs.
I RYO for use in my electric bikes.

1 Like

I also feel like the 18650 is among the more highly developed lithium cell sizes, and i dont see it going away any time soon.

1 Like

I’ll find out soon…have a custom @Whiterose0818 mod coming my way…arrives tomorrow…running dual 20700a batteries…

2 Likes

I was wondering the exact same thing as you. I think it would be cool to have a big ass 20700 tube mech with a high continuous amp limit battery that would let you run 0.15 builds no problem and with less stress on the cell. A 3000 mAh, 40 amp battery (if it really is) would be perfect for a mech. Hopefully LG makes their own versions soon. iJoy is releasing a new tube mech made for these new batteries and it looks freaking cool. Everybody hated the name Cigpet, and I dont know if they changed the name or made a whole new brand but this one is called Wondervape. Much better lol. The rda on the mech kit looks like a good one too

1 Like

I feel like, at least for now, the 20700/21700 battery thing is a gimmick to sell the next generation of mods. The industry relies on constant turnover to keep selling goods, its become a cycle worse than smart phones, albeit less expensive. I see cells labeled 30a, but we see that all the time with 18650 cells too, and we know its just lies. Until there are more batteries, from companies that actually make batteries, I think we are just testing how far we can push rewrapped 12a sanyos before there is a fire. I dont see current generation 18650 cells being so inferior that we need to replace all our hardware, chargers, and accessories to handle these larger cells. The choice is purely because it forces us to replace everything from the ground up.

1 Like

I have the captain with the 20700 batteries. It is a fantastic mod, i have much more expensive ones but i always come back to it. As for the batteries i am not impressed, they just dont have any “kick” to them. I use regular 18650’s in the mod and it rocks ! I think the problem is the brand of battery ive never heard of an ijoy battery before i bought this mod.

So, I’ve been running a WhiteRose custom mod for months now that uses two 20700a batteries. So far it’s a tank…I’ve put a few builds on it that push close to the 0.4ohm limit and it’s done fine…@Cloudydaze, I am not sure what the iJoy batteries are rated at (most likely similar in specs to the 20700b batteries which are higher mAh but lower CDR). I must say that if they are like the iJoy 26650 batteries, keep them…I ordered some cheaper (Demon Killer?) 26650’s to run an iJoy Lux mod…the mod died so I’ve been using the cells individually in a Hohm Slice…the iJoys perform far better…
Also, not to keep this thread going forever, but 21700 batteries are now starting to hit…what’s next?