24AWG kanthal

Hi guys on a budget due to Christmas so occ coils not in the budget atm so I have gone into steam engine to look at wrapping my own coils I’m using the subtank plus steam engine told me 5 wraps on 3mm bit will give me 0.5 ohms with 24AWG so I typed it in on google and took me to an other forum and someone asked my question and the reply was that he was using the same wire with 6 wraps but on a 2mm bit and he got 0.18 ohm so I’m a bit confused now as I don’t think my cool fire 4can go down that low has anyone got some advice as I have bought the wire now :blush: Thanks :+1:

And do you guys prefer spaced or pressed coils :+1:

With kanthal, I’d do a contact coil, but I believe contact coils are going to drop your ohms some. If you can, I’d go ahead and wrap a coil, mount it, and test it with an ohm meter. That’ll give you some idea of what you’re looking at. If it’s where you want it to be, you’re good. If not, you now know if you need to go up or down in number of wraps. Steam engine isn’t a perfect tool, but I’ve found it to be at least marginally accurate when it comes to coils.

3 Likes

Thanks I did buy some coils off eBay (pre wrapped)as I didn’t have confidence in wrapping my own and looked on YouTube and they all did the contact coils I tried it and got a horrible burn/metallic/monkey ass taste lol so I spaced them out and now I don’t get that taste anymore and come to find out it was hot legs or something and just couldn’t get that taste away with contact coil sorry just very new to diy coils but I’ll get there this great forum helped me mix my own liquids and hopefully the same with my coils aswell thanks again👍

2 Likes

It’s all good. Hot legs suck! :wink: Glad you’re getting it figured out. Just like any other hobby, practice makes perfect. Don’t forget to wash your wire. That can be part of the cause of a bad taste.

I know you’re strapped right now, but you should consider switching to SS. It’s so much cleaner and nicer tasting and super easy to work with. I bought this and still have plenty left.

3 Likes

First let me say that 2mm ID uses less wire per wrap and will lower the resistance so more wraps would be required than 3mm ID. Are you building the RBA that comes with the tank, or rebuilding a OCC coil? Here’s something else to consider should you be rebuilding the OCC coil. Steam engine defaults to 5mm legs. Your legs will be much longer using the OCC build and will have to be adjusted. If you are using the RBA then 3mm ID 24ga Kanthol appears to come out .53 with the 5 1/2ish wraps it will require. If you are using the RBA, your choice on spaced or contact. Whatever works best for you. Spaced in the OCC…

1 Like

I certainly agree with this. I actually never use it. Sounds like we do things very much alike but I test on a mod. Yeah I know, the mods may not be accurate. Close enough though usually…

1 Like

I typically use it to give me a general idea when I’ve got a new wire or I want to try something new like twisted or dual coils or something. And I like to check the heat that a build and watts will produce.

2 Likes

It might be the other post you found was a dual coil that would half the ohm’s. So a build as you specified would work out to .25 ohm if it was a dual coil.

1 Like

Forgot to say that if I remember correctly your coolfire fires down to a .2 ohm build so you have plenty of room to play. Also, this is what I use to size my wrap ID and you can get these cheap nearly anywhere…

I always use the 3mm unless I do not have the room for a 3mm ID…

2 Likes

Won’t say I never look at it. Ya kinda got to with new wire, you’re right there. Or you can ask @Pro_Vapes…lol

1 Like

The subtank has a single coil RBA…

I find even after a dry fire on a kanthal coil spaced or not there’s a ceritan “break in” period. And with kanthal you ,or i anyway, always found it slightly metallic.
Thats why I switched to stainless steel and titanium. Far superior taste and none of that metallic taste.
Where are you based brother? I could send you some stainless and some titanium if it would help.
Free of charge of course. :sunglasses:

1 Like

[quote=“Adam157, post:1, topic:40336”]
so I typed it in on google and took me to an other forum and someone asked my question and the reply was that he was using the same wire with 6 wraps but on a 2mm bit and he got 0.18 ohm
[/quote]Yes, but if the person in the google search was using something that would handle a dual coil he might not be comparing apples to apples.

1 Like

I bought that exact set from the Dollar Store for like $2

1 Like

Walleworld or Wal-Mart has them for $2. That set works better for me than the more expensive Stanley set. It’s better for installing a coil in rda.

1 Like

Thanks for all your replies helped a lot making my own liquid has worked out well with trial and error so will be the same with this @Pattie I’m in Wales UK thank you for the offer people are so nice on here I had a look on Amazon and the wire is only cheap so I have ordered some ss I can’t use titanium at the moment as not got a tc mod but got the ipv 4s coming to me at Christmas and going out to buy the crown on Boxing Day so I will experiment with titanium then again thanks so kind :grinning:

1 Like

This is the wire I ordered a few good reviews from other vapers :kissing::dash:

1 Like

And this it the ti I will buy after xmas

Try a kuro coil jig, eBay 8$. My coils weren’t too pretty or consistant ohms and wow this thing is amazing for learning! Super easy! Well worth it.

1 Like