A massive step for Australia

Yes it is different, we don’t have a CDC at all.
The Australian Medical Association (fed gov) think we should have one to “co-ordinate with other CDC’s around the world”.
God, I’ve been learning a bit lately - I knew only some of what we have & there is still more I don’t have a clue about :laughing:

3 Likes

Well this sucks…

Important clarification. The @RACGP
does not endorse vaping. Our guide’s conditional recommendation (link below) notes that it’s only a reasonable intervention in very limited circumstances & that the long-term health effects are unknown #FactCheck https://racgp.org.au/clinical-resources/clinical-guidelines/key-racgp-guidelines/view-all-racgp-guidelines/supporting-smoking-cessation

4 Likes

Yeah, I had a better read of it when I got home from work and it doesn’t sound as good as my first impression, but it is something to start.
We move slow in Oz, you should try the nanny state of Queensland even further behind.
In some ways doctors readily accept new research and in others they don’t change what they were taught 20 years ago. (I work with surgeons not GPs though) It might be different in GP land! :rofl:

5 Likes

Definitely still positive!
Just have to wait & see how it plays out in the “real world” :wink:
:crossed_fingers: it will help those GP’s who have no idea :crossed_fingers:

4 Likes

That’s good news for the Aussies. I’m happy for you guys.

I live in the UAE and it was banned when I began 3 years ago. Then in Feburary 2019 the gov’t announced it would be legal in April. No explanation, nothing, but it was a good thing and a sign that not all is lost for vaping.

8 Likes

I’m happy as the overall result, but still in AU you need a doctor for a nicotine prescription, but don’t need a doctor to start smoking… clever innit?
But if you look closely (well, not even that close really) they endorse Varenicline not vaping… saying that it’s a low percentage bla bla bla, they just had to, otherwise Pfizer closes the purse…

But a good result anyway!

5 Likes

About damned time!

Congrats to Australian smokers! You now have a fighting chance to quit smoking!! :tada:

5 Likes

41 mEABlZHL.SL500_AC_SS350

That’s no excuse to leave!

You’re going to have to work on your excuse making. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
(I do know what you meant FWIW) lol
Just couldn’t resist. :wink:

4 Likes

Big pharma… If it’s not them, it’s big tobacco or big brother… I wonder when “the big turd” becomes something to worry about??? :joy: :rofl: :joy: :rofl: :joy:

At least its a positive movement. Now RUSH to your Dr and get the prescription!!!

3 Likes

I only discovered a month ago that it was illegal to buy nicotine for personal use without a medical certificate.

But I know someone who’s been vaping for 6 years and never knew they were supposed to have a prescription to import a small volume of nicotine for personal use. They just go online and purchase enough to last 3 months and then it’s delivered to their door a week later. Customs even opened one of the parcels once but it still got delivered.

4 Likes

Customs are no doing anything about it at all currently but if you dont have a script and piss someone off you can be charged with possess controlled poison - max penalty 45k fine / prison (not that that would ever happen)

5 Likes

I didn’t know for a short while either - til I joined here, :laughing:
Had one (script) for a year but it expired & have not been able to get another from the same dr as it was online & he is no longer doing that.
My biggest concern is the SA laws now banning online sales - so if they were to get strict about it & started checking OS sales - It could be a double penalty - one for the Nic & one for the post!

Looks like I will have to speak to my GP yet again and provide him with the prescribing info. His last response was positive, as was another Dr’s but neither of them would physically write a script - it wasn’t on their prescribing system - so said they couldnt - computer says no :roll_eyes: :laughing:

2 Likes
Can South Australian customers get into trouble if they buy from interstate or overseas?

No. The law imposes penalties on vendors who sell to South Australian customers, but does not impose penalties on South Australian customers who attempt (successfully or otherwise) to order vaping products.

5 Likes

Whoops my bad!

In my mind illegal/banned is illegal/banned - apologies for muddying the waters.
Thanks for the correction @woftam :+1:

4 Likes

@woftam, ok, you can buy 10 cartons of cigarettes but can’t get liquid nicotine??? WOW!!! Pie R squared… no, Pie R round, cake R squared!!!
sheesh… I think I posted something about big tobacco, big pharma??? big brother??? well if you get the max penalty for this, you’ve just seen “big turd” :rofl: :joy: :rofl: :joy:

2 Likes

Whilst I welcome this change, we still have a long way to go. I’m forever the optimist, however, I’ll bring out the bubbly once the TGA amend their restrictions on liquid nicotine. This will be a reason to celebrate.

4 Likes

Hey @Charles_Vaper great to see you mate and I am with you 100%. Right now it is baby steps once that Hunt is gone hopefully things will progress a bit faster

5 Likes

I’ve been a naughty boy being away so long. Just so damn busy, but I think I’m in a better position now to visit-contribute more.

5 Likes

Would be great to see more of you bud.

3 Likes

ozi ozi ozi . oi oi oi.
Go you good thing!

4 Likes