A massive step for Australia

32 Likes

Change might be in the air!! :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Hmmm @woftam I’ve TRIED to pay attention every time you mention the status of vaping down under, but I’ve fallen behind. If it’s not completely repetitive, could you re-elaborate on the current status of legality/bans, and/or what this new GP endorsement might have an effect on ?

8 Likes

This might be the best way to beat our stupid lawyer health minister. GPs will take notice now and that will flow into hospitals and then the rest.

9 Likes

This is not quite current but it covers most of the facts (except Northern Territory where is is now illegal)

9 Likes

I’m so very happy for you @woftam that’s a huge step forward.

10 Likes

Holy crap…

Each Australian State and Territory classes Electronic Cigarettes & Nicotine differently. We encourage you to stay informed and up to date with how these laws affect you as a Vaper.
As vapers we need to understand how vaping laws are legislated in each Australian State.

Western Australia:

Electronic Cigarettes are classed as a device used to mimic smoking. (Tobacco Products Control Act 2006)
The Sale and Supply of electronic cigarettes is illegal.
The Sale and Supply of Nicotine is illegal.
Importing Nicotine for personal use is legal with a current Australian Medical certificate.
Purchasing Electronic Cigarettes from another Australian State is legal.
The use of electronic cigarettes with or without nicotine is legal.

Queensland:

Electronic Cigarettes are classed as a Tobacco Product. (Tobacco and Other Smoking Products Act 1998)
The display and/or promotion of electronic cigarettes at a retail outlet is illegal.
The Sale and Supply of electronic cigarettes is legal.
Importing Nicotine for personal use is legal with a current Australian Medical certificate.
The use of Electronic Cigarettes containing nicotine is illegal

New South Wales:

Electronic Cigarettes are not classed as tobacco products.
Importing Nicotine for personal use and possession is legal with a current Australian Medical certificate.
Vaping in public spaces (shopping centres, libraries, cinemas, bus stops, train stations, buses and trains, sports grounds, near children’s play equipment, and outdoor dining areas) or on public transport is banned and carries a fine of up to $550
It is an offence to use e-cigarettes in cars with children under the age of 16 present
Sale of electronic cigarettes to persons under 18 is illegal
NSW Police have the power to seize an e-cigarette that is in the possession of a person under the age of 18.

Victoria:

Electronic Cigarettes are classed and regulated as a Tobacco Product (<em>Tobacco Amendment Act 2016</em> )
Display of electronic cigarettes and vaping accessories in retail stores and offering free juice samples is illegal
Use of electronic cigarettes in enclosed retail spaces is illegal
The sale and supply of electronic cigarettes and vaping accessories to persons under 18 is illegal
Importing Nicotine for personal use is legal with a current Australian medical certificate.
The use of electronic cigarettes without nicotine is legal. The use of electronic cigarettes with nicotine is legal with a medical certificate.

South Australia:

Electronic Cigarettes regulated under the Tobacco and E-Cigarette Products Act 1997 as of 31 March 2019.
The Sale and Supply of electronic cigarettes is legal in physical brick and mortar stores.
The Sale and Supply of electronic cigarettes online in South Australia and to South Australian customers is illegal as of October 1st 2019

Northern Territory:

Electronic Cigarettes are un-classed.

Australian Capital Territory:

Tasmania:

INFORMATION CURRENT AS OF: 08/10/2019. We are awaiting response from a few state governments for legal clarification, and we will update as soon as we have concrete info.

8 Likes

OMFG I am so happy!!

A massive step forward… I have not been able to get a script from any local doctor for Nic as none of the Dr’s understand.
Hopefully this information will roll out sooner rather than later!!

I am so grateful for all the people fighting to advocate for this :smiley:

11 Likes

@Sevencasper, I think the CDC coming out possibly??? may have flipped this switch? I mean OMG!!! I think it’s really happening!!! The lights are coming back on if you know what I mean??? @woftam, that’s fantastic news!!! What I saw from the CDC made me wonder if it would have a ripple effect??? I have no idea what caused this to happen. All I know is it’s fantastic news for you and I hope it starts a rolling change around the world about this!!! Congratulations!!!

6 Likes

@anon84779643, Now we need to see it hit this country… It’s our CDC… If in all honesty it made Australia rethink it’s position on it then it’s way past time to kick Bloomburg off the bus.

4 Likes

From the RACGP - Recommendation 15

https://www.racgp.org.au/clinical-resources/clinical-guidelines/key-racgp-guidelines/view-all-racgp-guidelines/supporting-smoking-cessation/pharmacotherapy-for-smoking-cessation

Recommendation 15 – Nicotine-containing e-cigarettes are not first-line treatments for smoking cessation. The strongest evidence base for efficacy and safety is for currently approved pharmacological therapies combined with behavioural support. The lack of approved nicotine-containing e-cigarettes products creates an uncertain environment for patients and clinicians, as the constituents of the vapour produced have not been tested and standardised. However, for people who have tried to achieve smoking cessation with approved pharmacotherapies but failed, but who are still motivated to quit smoking and have brought up e-cigarette usage with their healthcare practitioner, nicotine containing e-cigarettes may be a reasonable intervention to recommend. This needs to be preceded by an evidence-informed shared decision-making process, whereby the patient is aware of the following:

• no tested and approved e-cigarette products are available
  • the long-term health effects of vaping are unknown
  • possession of nicotine-containing e-liquid without a prescription is illegal
  • in order to maximise possible benefit and minimise risk of harms, only short-term use should be recommended
  • dual use (ie with continued tobacco smoking) needs to be avoided.

Conditional recommendation for intervention, low certainty

3 Likes

@Sevencasper, we’ve been taking the risk. We’ve accepted the responsibility as adults. I honestly don’t feel I need to have my Dr. tell me if it’s ok or not. Sooner or later they have to let us be adults? We can smoke cigarettes all we want. We know what they do. If vaping causes the same effects then I don’t feel it. Maybe it will come back to haunt us. I think the medical profession needs to start evaluating this if they want to get ahead of the curve because we are doing our best to find the solutions.

I’m not saying they owe it to us. I’m saying they owe it to their patients to know to be able to be informative. I still think any positive movement is a good thing though.

5 Likes

Surely this will add some weight to the debate.
I bloody hope so!!! :grinning:

4 Likes

@Sevencasper We have a country that’s reversed it’s decision. Now we need the USA to reverse it’s decision too. As countries do, others will follow I think?

4 Likes

Thankfully this is happening here and hopefully will have a positive flow-on effect.

I was getting to my wits end trying to source a Nic script - online script first = no problem. Now that was shut down by the dr doing it so I emailed him = no go.
In the meantime - asked regular GP & another in another town = both were happy to do it but no idea how as they have to write a letter - it’s not on their prescription system = no go.
Now that the RACGP have said yes it should make that process easier - they should be being provided with the tools/info to prescribe :crossed_fingers:

And the up-take of this option will be documented, I am sure, then reported to Therapeutic Goods Administration, who in turn will have evidence to show the Government that it works - it will take time but to me the possibility of it being legalised it greater given this change.

6 Likes

If the evidence is there, that’s what we need, then surely they will?

4 Likes

Gotta go - my battery is flat :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

@Sevencasper, when y

When you are able to see this, The United States is the one that has to turn now. The CDC is funded by us. For them to ignore the report is ignorant.

4 Likes

TGA is same, it is a Regulatory Authority under the Federal Dept of Health.

“ The Royal Australian College of General Practitioners ( RACGP ) is the professional body for general practitioners (GPs) in Australia. The RACGP is responsible for maintaining standards for quality clinical practice, education and training, and research in Australian general practice.”

5 Likes

@Sevencasper, If you think about it, what RACGP does is different than what the CDC does but they complement each other together fantastically.

Given that combination, I beginning to wonder why other countries haven’t begun the change?

4 Likes