A method of mix and steep?

So far Im not doing too bad. My custards are doing well and my Strawberry and cream was originally a cock up but over a few more days improved dramatically so all in all Im quite pleased…

…but can it improve? My method that is?

Im mixing as per in a glass then using a milk frother to get loads of air in it. Put it away for a day then use the frother on it again. After a day or so I then bottle it, leave the top off and put away in a drawer. ! week on it all ok.
Now am I wasting time using the frother a second time on the 2nd day ? Would it be just as beneficial to mix, froth, store one day then bottle ?

1 Like

Let me preface my statement with this…Patrick Swayze said it best…

I’ve never used any kind of device to shake or stir my liquids. I would if I thought there was some benefit. But at the same time I don’t disrespect those who do. If someone wants to use a reciprocating saw, ultrasonic cleaner, milk frother or paint can shaker…who am I to criticize? I just don’t believe there is any magic happening with all these methods so my answer is yes, it’s a waste of time.

My method has always been to mix in a bottle. Shake vigorously for 45 seconds to a minute. Do this again daily for 2 or three days. And of course I always shake for 15 seconds or so before using. I figure beyond that your just agitating the mix with no result except aerated juice.

As for steeping, I almost always test a new mix right after mixing. Again the next day and then every 3-4 days up to a month at most. I find with most mixes where tobacco is not involved you’re going to see the best it will ever be at 2 weeks. More than that needed (queue Mr Swayze again) and you had a bad juice to start with.

I’m not quite as extreme as you, but I do see some benefit with frothing and a hot ultrasonic bath. I use a small high speed rotary tool with a whisk attachment to froth my mixes in less than 30 sec. I also do a 2 hr hot usb which I know speeds up steeping because once it’s complete my mixes are several shades darker. Then I put it up for a minimum of two weeks. I was never one to shake and vape. For some reason they just don’t taste right to me. If you’re new to mixing I suggest you mix a lot and build up a stash of adapted high rated recipes. Once you’ve built up a stash of flavors this steeping will become a lot easier. Some things just don’t replace steep time.

2 Likes

I use a Robart, I let it shake for 2 minutes and without any effort BUT it’s for small 30mls. For bigger batch’s I use a Milk frother the first time I mix it then only by hand for the next week or so.

3 Likes

I have the same attitude and do things manually, however sometimes my wrists don’t work. I can’t lift anything heavy and certain movements are very painful, like shaking bottles. So I got a magnetic mixer I can use when I can’t use my wrists. So occasionally there is a benefit :wink:

2 Likes

I think there’s only upside to using a milk frother. It throughly mixes and airates your mix in 30 seconds. You can get a cheap one on Amazon for $7.

2 Likes

I give frothing a +1 if only for the fact you will be certain the juice is mixed enough. Certainly worth a shot. They’re so cheap you won’t be upset if it’s not for you. If you really want to beef it up, cut off the frothing attachment and connect it to a drill. I haven’t tried using a drill, but am thinking about it because my frother slows down quite a bit in high VG juice.

1 Like

I do my test mixing in 15ml bottles. I wanted something that mixed it up quicker than shaking, for a preliminary taste test (and less of a workout). The frother I had was too big to fit in the bottles, so I cut the frother head off, and crimped on an electrical connector.

I give the fresh mix a quick 10 second mix with my modified frother, for the preliminary taste test. I then note my taste test conclusion, put the bottle away, and let time do it’s thing. I come back after a week or so, and test it again, checking to see if I can notice any improvement, and note it. Then I’ll come back after a month, for the final taste test, and decide if it’s a winner or not. I mix only tobacco flavors, and I think they can take a little longer to come together.

It’s not the quickest method of steeping, but it lets me know how much steep time is needed for a particular mix, for repeat mixes.

1 Like

I always use a milk frother when im done mixing a batch then I let it steep naturally for 2 weeks and shake the mix everyday.

1 Like

I use a 150ml flask to mix my ingredients. Then I sit the flask in a water bath at 140 degrees. This thins everything out a bit. Then I hit it with a Badger hobby paint mixer until the mix is all white and foamy (a milk frother would probably work better, but this is about the same thing). Then I bottle it. Its pretty quick and painless. Then I store it in my closet and shake daily. I am a noob so I have only been at it a couple weeks. But mixes are starting to turn out really well.

Edit, I am not sure a milk frother would fit in my flask. My paint mixer has about a 1/2" mixing blade on it.

3 Likes

My method

1. Measure it
  2. Five minute run in an ultrasonic
  3. Three hours on low in a crock pot
  4. Into the cupboard with the lid off over night
  5. Put the lid on, shake it again, open the bottle one more time to let the bubbles gas out of the bottle
  6. Put the lid back on, throw it in a drawer for a month

If it’s terrible a month later it goes in trash. If I know I can fix it, I tweek it, heat it up again and leave it in the cupboard over night and vape it the next day. If it’s mind bendingly delicious I hide it in a safe place, make another 120 ml of it and put the recipe in my “super secret recipe book” I will sell someday to new vapesters and become rich.

2 Likes