ELR Home   Create recipe   Resource page   My recipes/favorites

A retraction? Whaaaaat?

Sure took them long enough…

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2019/07/17/vaping-heart-attacks-false-claims-sexual-harassment-allegations/1676473001/

12 Likes

@Lostmarbles I’m glad you posted this, as I had NO IDEA, but, … now I do …

Study linking vaping to heart attacks muddied amid spat between two tobacco researchers

6 Likes

For ad blocker fans:
re: https://statmodeling.stat.columbia.edu/2019/11/27/controversies-in-vaping-statistics-leading-to-a-general-discussion-of-dispute-resolution-in-science/

8 Likes

Glantz is a major fucking asshole.

8 Likes

In every sense.

8 Likes

He should be discredited by the scientific publishing companies he has worked for, dismissed by his employer the University and his books should be withdrawn by his publisher. He’s a nothing but a con artist hiding behind the name of science.
After this, surely you can’t trust any science project he’s involved in anymore.

12 Likes

It’s interesting that the only participants in Glantz’s research were vapers who had heart attacks at some point in their lives. But what about vapers with no history of heart problems? Were they deemed ineligible for the study? Sounds to me like the scales were tipped in his favor!

9 Likes

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

8 Likes

Good to see but unfortunately it’s a slow and rugged process. Two sins are being addressed here, the study itself and the decision to have it published. Both those involved in creating the study and those involved in publishing it will resist a retraction. I commend those who are addressing these flawed/false studies. I hope they can prevail.

8 Likes

@Kinnikinnick you had me at …

Three weeks after the American Heart Association’s journal retracted a vaping study that led to heightened panic last summer, academics and health experts are pushing for another influential peer-reviewed medical journal to retract a vaping report of its own.

After months of pressure from the scientific community, the American Heart Association’s academic journal on Tuesday evening retracted a widely circulated vaping study, which claimed that using e-cigarettes increased the likelihood of having a heart attack.

4 Likes