Accidentally added too much of a flavor in my mix

noooooooo! it might be easy but it would srtill have too high a concetration of of that flavour. Think!
if you add 1/3 to original volume (v): v + v/3 -= (3+1)v/3 = 4v/3 (or four thirds of original volume)

now , if you increase all ingredients propertionally , that 2% becomes( 2X 4 )/3 which is 8/3 =2.6667 %
BUT 3% has already been added by accident . So we still have too much of it.

People are getting confused because whilst extra 1 % represents one third of 3% (the amount that was added to the mix ) it represents one half of 2% (the amount that should have been added to the mix.) . Same quantity, but two different fractions, You need to be careful to apply the appropriate fraction of these two, as they are clearly not interchangeable.

1 Like

They’re saying leave it out and make a batch 1/3 the size of the original to compensate for the 1% extra lime tahity in the mix. If all %'s are the same, leaving out lime tahity would mean that the lime tahity only gets 1%, not 2% in the mix that is compensating the original. This is where I’m not following.

Totally stole this but - The easiest course of action is to break out the Rich Cinnamon flv at 4% to punish oneself into never mucking up again

5 Likes

glad he understood the solution before all got confused here :rofl:

your idea of making a fresh (full sized ) batch with 1% lime tahity ( but everything else the same ) is simplest
Then if you average the lime tahiti concentration it across the final mix , you get ( 3+1)/(2 X 100) = 2%.
I don’t see how anyone can argue with that?

I don’t know, we’ll leave it at that. The best way is the one that makes sense to you.

The problem I have is that 1% may be half of 2%, but it is 1/3 of 3%. We have 1/3 too much lemon tahiti. So, adding a new batch 1/3 the size of the original with everything the same, but minus the lemon tahiti, will decrease the total of lemon Tahiti by 1/3, or 1% in this case.

1 Like

If he wants it perfect yup sure you are correct in what you are saying - if he doesn’t want a 500ml batch the quickest and dirtiest method with a smaller batch is to make a 1/3 mix with no lemon the end result of which is a .25% variance from the original recipe which is not huge imho.

1 Like

Yes, I’m pretty sure he only wanted 250ml! Closest solution wins!

1 Like

No, you have 50% too much Lemon Tahiti @Plunderdrum
If you don’t believe me, check out the recipe . 2%= 0.60 ml
3%= 0.90 ml (there’s an example of ingredient added at 3% directly above)
0.90 ml= 0.60 ml + 0.30 ml. doesn’t it?
which is 0.60 X 3/2 or 0.60 + 1/2 (however you want to put it)
so adding another half of everything else should get everything back in proprtion.

[EDIT: if you add 1/3 of 60ml (which is what you’re suggesting, just add 1/3 of everything on the recipe, as written) , that comes to 60 + 20 = 80ml, NOT 90 ml. But 90ml has already been added , hasn’t it? so it will still be too much]

Haha, i failed to realise this topic was about finding a “winning” solution rather than present some solutions from which Jvtrickster could pick the most suitable from, which it BTW seem as if he already did :smiley:

3 Likes

I was totally kidding when I said “wins”! Just having fun :slight_smile:

1 Like

and to get a headache to boot lol

The recipe linked to was for 30 ml. I’ve just snaffled it and made it up to 45ml (for direct comparison to original) Quantity was the ONLY thing I changed
As you can see, it now says 90ml of Lime Tahity, which is same amount as you would have if you added 3% by mistake to the original (30ml) recipe.

http://e-liquid-recipes.com/recipe/2140414/ELEMENT+Pink+Lemonade+%2845ml%29

Sorry to bang on about this, but adding 1/3 is just wrong. and will result in the final recipe being too limey,

I’m thinking , if i can manage to explain this,(though I’m not really making a good job of it am I?) I might save ppl from making similar mistakes in future. It’s a really common sort of error.

2 Likes

Solution A:

for solution A, mix a second bottle of equal volume to the first bottle but use 1% of the Lime flavor, if your using ml instead of grams the volumes will work but your solutions will all be in ml. This may be the easiest and most accurate.

Solution B:

Solution B would be to mix 1/2 volume of the 1st bottle (60ml) with 0% of the lime. this solution will have a lower yield, but should give you the same 2% lime once you mix the 2 bottles together. Again if your using ml instead of grams the volumes will work but your solutions will all be in ml.

3 Likes

arguement over but have to say that ive added to much of one flavor before and was usually the first. I can do math but easiest would be to change the finished product volume in the calc. until the flavor amount that is wrong matches, subtract the numbers from the f’d up mix 'cept that f’d up flavor, mix that larger volume and add the messed up mix to it. That make more sense? prob not

That’s probably how I would of approached this. But I wouldn’t of made any sense trying to explain

2 Likes

Yup! Thanks, high school me, you really should have worked harder!

Great job, everyone who had it right! Sorry so stubborn. Thanks for setting it straight :smile:

1 Like

OK so just to make sure I did it correctly i made up a mock recipe for 375ML and the Tahity total came out to 7.5 grams which is the same amount that 3% of the 250ML batch came out to so I mixed up a 120ML batch (since i used a little of the messed up batch) and left out the tahity and mixed it with the the messed up batch and what do you know it worked!!! my juice no longer tastes like cat piss :joy: Thank to everyone for all the suggestions!!!

5 Likes

yep, that’s EXACTLY what I was suggesting ,
I’m so very glad it worked out for you. * phew! * That’s one heckova big batch to ruin,

:grin: