Acesulfame potassium sweetener - Safe to vape?

So I came across this stuff when I placed a large order of flavors with an Aussie supplier called Universal Flavours.
They do most of the popular brands and also supply the cooking/baking industry.
Noticed this in the same section when I was looking for EM and Menthol crystals.
Acesulfame potassium is claimed to be 1000 times sweeter than sugar however upon doing some research on it could find stuff all about it in reference to vaping. Its classed as food safe and out of curiosity grabbed a 30gm packet.

What do you guys know about it?
Is it safe to use as a sweetener for vaping?
Any idea on what the mixing ratio would be?

Thought it was strange there was no reference to it in this forum.

4 Likes

@Hairy_Wombat

https://killcliff.com/blogs/drinkhole-digest/the-dangers-of-acesulfame-potassium-ace-k

One of the major issues surrounding Ace-K is that it contains the carcinogen methylene chloride. According to studies, headaches, depression, nausea, mental confusion, liver effects, kidney effects, visual disturbances, and cancer can all result from long-term exposure to methylene chloride.

Ace-K reportedly can disrupt metabolic processes and interfere with appetite regulation, blood sugar control, and body weight.

4 Likes

Well that’s encouraging.
Then why on earth is it even available? I can understand maybe in Aus where we are a bit slower in saying “Nah that’s narky don’t use it” but even the FDA in the US have classed it as safe.

From dodgypedia:

Safety[edit]

As with other artificial sweeteners, concern exists over the safety of acesulfame potassium. However, the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved its general use. Critics say acesulfame potassium has not been studied adequately and may be carcinogenic,[21] although these claims have been dismissed by the European Food Safety Authority[22] and FDA.[23]

Environment Canada tested the water from the Grand River at 23 sites between its headwaters and where it flows into Lake Erie. The results suggest that acesulfame appears in far higher concentrations than saccharin or sucralose at the various test sites.[24] More recently the environmental fate and effects of acesulfame potassium have been reviewed by Belton et al. (2020).[25]

4 Likes

Yeah, see that’s actually not as good as it sounds…

5 Likes