Ad blocking

Google actually sponsors Yahoo, Mozilla and some other struggling companies. It’s not a healthy situation if only Google, Apple and Microsoft would remain.

2 Likes

Rob, I have retained my (4) Yahoo boxes - because Google Gmail was from the start invasive. I read a while back that the practice of sending bots to scour email texts (Yahoo as well as Gmail practice) had fallen out favor (and presumably use) - as the “AI” results were allegedly not highly “useful”. I have a Tutanota (end-end encrypted) account that I rarely use. (Securely) sending folks a “key” is laborious.

1 Like

There’s really no competition for those three as it is IMO.

Linux is more widely used than ever before, but that still has nothing to do with tracking or data mining (in the current subject).

Theres options for better search (anonymized, but still using Google or Bing’s [MS] backbones if I’m not mistaken). I prefer StartPage.com, and while it gets “scrubbed”, it’s still Google doing the lifting.

A good VPN trumps all IME. :wink:

2 Likes

Yes it is @Sprkslfly. Thanks Windows 10, you suck, and people ARE leaving !!!

2 Likes

Don’t forget the TOR, if you’re in a pinch.

1 Like

The Onion Router was compromised years ago.
I forget if it was NSA or blackhat… But the bottom line is the same for me.
Same reason I won’t use certain VPN services.

2 Likes

Which VPN’s did you blacklist ?

They may not be directly competing with each other, but having those 3 own the whole internet market would be bad. At least now people have some choice.
If it wasn’t for Google, Yahoo would be bust, Mozilla would be bust and a whole range of lesser known companies too. Even though they get sponsored, they’re independent and still come up with their own ideas, enrich the market and keep each other with both feet on the ground (as much as possible).

1 Like

Trumps what? It is just one part of a chain of security measures people should be using. You can’t just rely on 1 part of the chain and think you’re safe.
If you use VPN, all you’re doing is preventing anyone between you and your destination snoop on what you’re doing. If your machine or your destination is compromised, you’re still screwed if you solely depend on VPN.

3 Likes

I’ve used PIA for years - I might switch next time it’s up for renewal. Maybe NordVPN.

6 Likes

I am very happy with my “Honey Pot Pro VPN”. They send nice men in suits out to interview you ! :clown_face:

Source: https://citnutritionally.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/food-police-shield_medium.jpg

I do not like door knockers… :mask: :face_with_monocle: :nerd_face:

2 Likes

I’ve used ExpressVPN for a couple of years so far and I’m pleased with them and their customer service. Didn’t see them named in that article, thank goodness. I flashed my router and have all devices on vpn at home. Their mobile app is pretty good too when on the go.

3 Likes

Smoggy, if you have nothing to be afried of, why wouldn’t you let him search your “Happy Meal” ? :clown_face:

Source: https://steelturman.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/food_police_gun.png

2 Likes

Cuz I am hungry and I want my meal to myself…
I do not share food off my plate much less a happy meal ! :innocent: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :kissing_heart:

2 Likes

Sorry it took a bit… Got called to “roof duty” (had to replace mom’s antenna). Joy.

Honestly I’d have to look it up at this point.
I used to normally check Wilder Security and [H]ard Forums for such things (as a launching point), but it’s been a while since I last looked, and I know the [H] went ‘forum only’ after Kyle went to work for the big boys.

2 Likes

Yeah, I realize that was a rather wide brush since you mention it. :laughing: Sorry about that!

ISP monitoring/ISP ad injection, peering eyes from anyone sniffing packets on the local node, etc.

Completely agree with you bud! :thumbsup:
A firewall is a must. A good A/V solution. Etc.

@daath nice share!

3 Likes