Ad blocking

That site is pretty dirty as far as ads.

Snap 2020-03-25 at 22.00.31

3 Likes

Adblock Plus are suspicious - I switched to uBlock Origin instead:

:slight_smile:

6 Likes

Originally had Adblock Plus in my Opera browser (67.0.3575.97) running on Linux Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS. When I discovered that my previous favorite (being uBlock Origin) was also available for this system, I noticed that a number of major news media web-sites stopped nagging and refusing to “play ball” (as a result of sensing an ad-blocker). Whatever differences exist between uBlock Origin (which is short for “original” developer) and Adblock Plus, they are positive ones. (An added element of complexity is that) both ad-blocking extensions are being run “in series” (in tandem) with Opera’s ad-blocking functionality.

Source: https://applexgen.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/img_5da4d5465a344.png

2 Likes

Adblock plus is fine Lars.

2 Likes

At some point they were whitelisting ads to show you regardless of how you blocked…

This is what made me switch to uBlock :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Were you geting ads Lars ?? I don’t receive amy…

I’m not sure if I got ads - I think maybe I did and went to research why - OR I may have read about the controversy at the time and switched. It was so long ago that I honestly don’t remember :slight_smile: uBlock works - sometimes a bit too well, perhaps :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: hehe

Also:

2 Likes

I dropped AdBlock (I forget if it was Plus or Pro) for the same reason, whitelisting ads for payment was a bad move.
uBlock Origin does a far better job and another one that works great is the DuckDuckGo Privacy extension.
I still get some annoying popups with uBlock on some crappy sites and DuckDuck takes care of those.

3 Likes

I’m no tech geek nor do I stay current with all the latest. That said, I have been using Malwarebytes for many years now - the Premium version. I think it’s maybe $30/year and covers 3 computers. I’m not sure when but they came out with a browser extension and since I started using that I get practically zero ads. I think where I do get them is where I’ve disabled it for certain news sites with paywalls. Just sharing in case anyone has Malwarebytes but hasn’t tried the extension.

EDIT - If you do give this a try make sure you don’t have other blockers running. They won’t play nice together.

2 Likes

It sucks that even with blockers, and/or layered blockers a few sneak through. Lotta money in advertising, and they surely want to make sure, you’re seeing them.

1 Like

image is all I use and as good as nothing comes through anymore.
The thing about uBlock that I really like is that you can pick off sections or blocks from a site that you’re not interested in, even if they’re not ads.

1 Like

I also use disconnect… but I am not awake…

2 Likes

For android, i used adguard. @Silhouette pointed me to it.

3 Likes

For android users who are rooted, also add “Ad-Free for Android” by OdiousApps.com (it was originally dev’d by BigTinCan, but Odious took over the maintenance of it). The app icon is a green shield, with a white umbrella in the center (seen similar named apps that are in no way related).

Great app that uses the hosts file approach, so EVERY aspect of what’s blocked and what isn’t, is fully customizable.

3 Likes

Yahoo mail finally got pissed at me for using ublock, so they downgraded my mail. Petty. Holding features for ransom is lame.

2 Likes

LOL @anon70102222, they have no sense of humor.

2 Likes

Yahoo has been nagging me with similar BS lately. Good part is that I have the most basic free version.

2 Likes

I thought I did too, until today when they told me they removed some features pending whitelist or upgrade to paymail. Although I admit, I have not figured out what they’ve taken from me yet. I don’t use it for anything but basic mailboxing.

2 Likes

I stopped using yahoo 20 years ago lol… too much spam drove me away…
Im very happy with gmail.

2 Likes

Indeed. I still find it difficult to believe they’ve survived this long. They should have gone the way of AOL and Netscape years ago IMO. :wink:

2 Likes